CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C5 General (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-general-103/)
-   -   Windsheild broken need to remove stickers (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-general/2150762-windsheild-broken-need-to-remove-stickers.html)

CactusCat 04-24-2012 08:50 AM

Got a question for you guys with inspection stickers. How much do they cost and how thorough is the inspection. We used to have inspections here in Oklahoma and they were $5, done at any appoved inspection facility (lots of service stations, garages, etc). The state kept $2.50 and the inspection station kept $2.50. All in all, obviously, not a very profitable thing for the garage or service station. Thus, when inspected, it wasn't much more than a quick pass at looking at a few things and bang, you were on your way. Several millions of bux every year for the state. But eventually, with the inspectors complaining about the time it took to do a real inspection and the costs involved, Oklahoma dropped their inspections. Don't have them anymore and to be honest, I don't miss them. Just wondering how thorough the inspections are in other states?

Jewjenk 04-24-2012 10:28 AM

New York is very thorough, they visually check the car on a lift, put a sniffer up the tail. You can fail for many reasons, including having a broken tail light and attempting to fix it by putting red tape on it. No tape must be new lens. Use to be if you knew someone pay the price and get a sticker. But now with undercover investigators, you take a chance. In most of the cities, if you are spotted without a sticker, you run the risk of a moving violation ticket or/and a parking ticket and they are not cheap. Fail to pay the parker and become a scofflaw, NYC will tow ANY vehicle in you name that they find on the street.
This is info from my son, a New York State MV inspector.

If you continue to fail, they will suspend your registration. Can't take stickers off other cars or discarded windshields, cause you tag info on them. Heard California is even worse. NJ is also a pain if your car isn't right.

Sonny71 04-24-2012 11:40 AM

:iagree:

Originally Posted by Jewjenk (Post 1580638771)
New York is very thorough, they visually check the car on a lift, put a sniffer up the tail. You can fail for many reasons, including having a broken tail light and attempting to fix it by putting red tape on it. No tape must be new lens. Use to be if you knew someone pay the price and get a sticker. But now with undercover investigators, you take a chance. In most of the cities, if you are spotted without a sticker, you run the risk of a moving violation ticket or/and a parking ticket and they are not cheap. Fail to pay the parker and become a scofflaw, NYC will tow ANY vehicle in you name that they find on the street.
This is info from my son, a New York State MV inspector.

If you continue to fail, they will suspend your registration. Can't take stickers off other cars or discarded windshields, cause you tag info on them. Heard California is even worse. NJ is also a pain if your car isn't right.

m6 c5 04-24-2012 12:03 PM

Inspections here are 16$ the sticker cost the garage 2$ and each inspection is supposed to take 1 hour a lot of places do it in less than that. I know one place does it in ~15 min and they dont even put it up on a rack.

Jewjenk 04-24-2012 08:48 PM

Originally Posted by 540 vette (Post 1580637100)
You won't get a ticket. The officer will just run your car and see it is legit.

Maybe people don't have the time or extra money to go and get the new stickers. I had my windshield replaced and the stickers put back on and haven't had any problems in 7 months.

Maybe that's in Comack, But not in the Big Apple, especially since the big ticket scandal. If you ain't right, you get wrote. In the small towns, it works, heck here in SC, pull someone over and ask for a DL and they say , I forgot it , but I know my number, once it's verified a good license, no problem. Try that in NYC. I also believe that a replacement sticker can be gotten by mail, I could be wrong, have not been there in ten years.

Just for info, NYC has their own traffic regs and is enforced by meter maids, civilian traffic officers, cops, fireman, sanitation, Sheriff's Office, court officers, Dept. of Corrections. This is on top of the state reg's for moving violations. Get a ticket for Mutilated sticker and park and get another parking ticket for the same and no they are not thrown out as being a duplicate. Why take the chance, get new stickers. Back when I was there, Some officers I knew wrote 50-100 tickets a night, carried a ruler for proper height, had a sound meter for loud radios. If your tag was in the window=improper display, missing an inspection sticker, then your car was uninspected. If it appeared re-stuck on another window, then it was mutilated..........Just my two cents.....................:smash:
Retired NYPD, been there, done that. 0911, WE WILL NEVER FORGET.

FNFastZ06 04-25-2012 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by Vetteman Jack (Post 1567362625)
Check with the place that will be doing the window replacement. They may have something that will take the stickers off in one piece (some kind of decal remover). Or, see what your state's policy is on replacement stickers - it may cost a few bucks but they just might reissue you a new one.

I had the windshield replaced in my Suburban. Mobile service guy replaced windshield, removed several stickers (Condo Gate entry, Yacht club & city parking pass) and reattached them perfectly to the new WS. Didn't watch him do it, but you couldn't tell they were touched.

bighank 04-25-2012 06:46 PM

Just what I did 30 years ago

Originally Posted by brntstauf (Post 1567362922)
I have seen a few cars around where the owner went as far as to cut out the section of glass where the stickers are, place some tape around the sharp edges, then just lay the glass and stickers on the dash of the car untill the next inspection rolls around. I guess it could be a last resort option if all else fails......

The old glass is free; go for it:flaghalfmast:

renegad44 04-25-2012 07:56 PM

I'm having a windshield replaced on my 4runner tomorrow. I think here in Mississippi, we need to get a new sticker with a new windshield :(. I'll see.

Jewjenk 04-25-2012 08:39 PM

Originally Posted by FNFastZ06 (Post 1580649912)
I had the windshield replaced in my Suburban. Mobile service guy replaced windshield, removed several stickers (Condo Gate entry, Yacht club & city parking pass) and reattached them perfectly to the new WS. Didn't watch him do it, but you couldn't tell they were touched.

That sounded like a good deal, not all installers have the expertise. :smash: