CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C6 Corvette General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-general-discussion-74/)
-   -   HELP!!!! I have curb rash on my HRE polished wheels (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-general-discussion/2149619-help-i-have-curb-rash-on-my-hre-polished-wheels.html)

RACE U 10-04-2008 04:46 PM

HELP!!!! I have curb rash on my HRE polished wheels

I was not paying enough attention and ran my rear wheel into a curb and got a significant amount of curb rash.:ack:

Can anyone give any advice as how to buff this out? The wheel has some significant "grinding" from hitting the curb. I don't know what to use to smooth this out.

Thanks for any help.

cthusker 10-04-2008 05:15 PM

I could give you some tips but would need to see the damage. Post a pic and be glad to take a look. If however if it's really deep and depending on the wheels finish you are far better off having a professional do the repair. Minor curb rash can be greatly diminished, but a deep gouge is entirely different. For the cost of one of those wheels you are better off getting it done at the mfg or some place that has the right tools and know how to make it right. It can be very tricky business based on the type of wheel finish........ Sorry about your misfortune cause it's really a shame to have a messed up wheel when the rest of the car is perfect.... :thumbs:

SUB VETTE 10-04-2008 05:28 PM

I have used a small hand file and sandpaper to remove curb rash on polished wheels, but if it is very deep scratches this will not work. After filing/sanding use a brush and clear laquer to restore the clear coat.

RACE U 10-04-2008 06:23 PM

thanks for the advice. I may just send it back to HRE (to be safe).

:thumbs:

St.Char 10-04-2008 08:55 PM

There are wheel repair companies out there, I had a local shop that specializes in repairs, fix mine, they did a great job :thumbs:

runutzzzzz 10-04-2008 08:59 PM

Good thing they are polished and not chrome! Find a local wheel repair guy and ask for some pics of work he's done before.

Doug at RSI 10-04-2008 10:13 PM

HRE willl replace the hoops for a fee. its a few hundred bucks.

danl72 10-05-2008 02:20 AM

I agree. Send them in to HRE and let them fix it.

Mez 10-05-2008 08:47 AM

HRE will repair them but there are other options.

1. Repair yourself.
If the damage is not horrible, you can use a file, then 320 grit wet sandpaper, then finally Mothers aluminum polish to return it to like new. I've had a couple of minor scratches that this has worked well on.

2. Ship it to Wheel Technologies (or similar company since this seems to be a thriving industry). See their website http://www.wheeltechnologies.com/ I had my HRE center section done by them and they did a perfect job. I got it back withing 24 hours, too.

haljensen 10-05-2008 09:58 AM

Originally Posted by Mez (Post 1567353193)
HRE will repair them but there are other options.

1. Repair yourself.
If the damage is not horrible, you can use a file, then 320 grit wet sandpaper, then finally Mothers aluminum polish to return it to like new. I've had a couple of minor scratches that this has worked well on.

2. Ship it to Wheel Technologies (or similar company since this seems to be a thriving industry). See their website http://www.wheeltechnologies.com/ I had my HRE center section done by them and they did a perfect job. I got it back withing 24 hours, too.

I've seen his wheels after the repairs, excellent job, can't tell them from new.

Wasn't there some DIY involved like dis-assembling the wheel to get that 24 hour service from Wheel Technologies?

Mark Ducati 10-05-2008 01:36 PM

Louisville isnt "toooo far" from Atlanta, GA... there's a place here called "Wheel Wizzards" and they actually work better than magic to bring the wheel rash back to life and glory.

coolcat 10-05-2008 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by RACE U (Post 1567347556)
I was not paying enough attention and ran my rear wheel into a curb and got a significant amount of curb rash.:ack:

This happened to one of the wheels on my 03 coupe. I whent to my Chevy dealer and ordered a new wheel. :thumbs:

Mez 10-05-2008 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by haljensen (Post 1567353713)
I've seen his wheels after the repairs, excellent job, can't tell them from new.

Wasn't there some DIY involved like dis-assembling the wheel to get that 24 hour service from Wheel Technologies?

In my case, I did remove the center section but I believe their normal service is 24 hours turn around. But, of course, if there is chrome or more serious damage I think it will take longer.

Wheel Technology is one of a number of repair companies for wheels. I suggest checking around your area to find a franchise who is good.

scooter68 10-05-2008 07:38 PM

Thats the beauty of three piece wheels- just replace the outer. i had one done via hre years ago- pretty quick and not too expensive as i recall