CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-zr1-and-z06-136/)
-   -   [Z06] 2008 Z06 may be a flaw in some tranny's (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-zr1-and-z06/2137967-2008-z06-may-be-a-flaw-in-some-trannys.html)

johnrigby 10-29-2010 09:26 PM

Slightly different issue I hear

When taking off off a dead stop in 1st. THere is a metalic growl is this similar to what's being described here. Mine too is an 08 with a 4/08 build date. never hear any grinding from 1st to second and so on. Could this be a clutch issue.

ThrustNH 10-29-2010 10:08 PM

I jumped ship in 2008 and purchased a new Viper. It does have a T6060 but in a different configuration (case - due to vette transaxle).
Mine was notchy from 1->2 when cold as they all are. When warm, it was very smooth shifting. I recently had my 5th and 6th gear replaced to turn it into a close ratio 6 speed similar to the new ZR-1 (Z06 T6060 ratios are more widely spaced). The 2010 Vipers come with the new lower ratio 5th gear from the factory as Dodge responded to the fact that the Viper lost time in its record setting Nurburgring lap due to 5th being too high. This also was the reason the Viper lost the standing mile against the ZR-1 in the Supercar Challenge. If they used a 2010 Viper on that course, the ZR-1 would have lost. While having the gears changed in my car, I was told that Tremec has a new 1-2 syncro upgrade for the T6060. The new syncro was developed for the Ford Mustang Cobras. For about $100, I bought the new carbon fiber lined syncro and had it installed at the same time.
It is more durable, and the notchyness when cold is gone. If you are out of warranty you may want to look into the new syncro for your T6060. You wont be dissapointed!

Anthony @ LGMotorsports 10-30-2010 12:38 PM

My 2006 Z51 was hard going into 2nd and 3rd both when it was cold. Once it was warmed up it was fine. My 2008 car has the same problem in 2nd but 3rd seems to be better. Once it warms up it's fine.

CRG517 03-17-2011 09:36 AM

Any updates on these problems with the 2008 6060 trans, any new TSB's/fixes with the slight grinding from 1st-2nd when cold?

Bill Dearborn 03-17-2011 11:15 AM

Originally Posted by CRG517 (Post 1577080013)
Any updates on these problems with the 2008 6060 trans, any new TSB's/fixes with the slight grinding from 1st-2nd when cold?

Not that I know of and I don't expect any. It is normal operation and the 6 speeds in my 97, 03 and now 08 have all exhibited the same behavior. Close to 100K hard miles across all 3 with no signs of a transmission failure in 14 years. If it ain't broke don't fix it. A little bumping on a cold shift doesn't indicate or even come close to indicating a problem with a transmission. I started at the beginning of this thread and I think the OP was a victim of being anal and complaining about a non problem, which got him involved in a violation of the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" law.

Quality is when a product performs its intended function without failure. His transmission was performing its intended function and had no indications of failure.

Bill

Hawkeye2 03-17-2011 02:47 PM

Mine too, notchy when cold 1 - 2 shifts. I just wait for it to warm up a mintues. No biggee.

PatriotZ 03-17-2011 05:27 PM

I just took my 08 in for 5th gear grinding today.....they advised that they had to tear down the tranny... 20,000 miles plus I have an extended warranty.....I will let you all know....but I for sure will print out this entire site if I have any problems. ...ps glad this came up today from an older post

Mopar Jimmy 03-17-2011 06:51 PM

Originally Posted by v.vet's Z06 (Post 1567201882)
I get the slight grinding on 1-2 and 2-3 shifts unless I wait and let the RPM's drop. In the slow shifting mode it responds okay but if you are the least bit aggressive on these shifts the syncros are not doing their job....IMHO. I have not contacted the dealer about this, hoping more experience from owners might prompt GM action.

WOW, that sucks, and what the OP is going through REALLY SUCKS, I feel your pain. Seems as if most of the 08 trannys are problem free, but an unacceptalbe amount of them have major issues like you reference above. :ack:

Best of luck to everyone have tranny issues with their 08 Zs. :cheers:

04_Z06_CE 03-17-2011 06:56 PM

Originally Posted by Mopar Jimmy (Post 1577084717)
WOW, that sucks, and what the OP is going through REALLY SUCKS, I feel your pain. Seems as if most of the 08 trannys are problem free, but an unacceptalbe amount of them have major issues like you reference above. :ack:

Best of luck to everyone have tranny issues with their 08 Zs. :cheers:

Its getting fixed for free , why does it suck ? Atleast he can say its being fixed , right? :cheers:

Mopar Jimmy 03-17-2011 08:37 PM

Originally Posted by 04_Z06_CE (Post 1577084765)
Its getting fixed for free , why does it suck ? Atleast he can say its being fixed , right? :cheers:

:confused: Not sure what exactly your reading, but I would say it sucks when the original poster has been without his Z now for 5 weeks, his Z is still not fixed, is getting the run around by GM , and had to retain a lemon law Attorney.

I also would say that it sucks that the other gentleman (not the original poster) that I reference in my response is having the following problem with his 08 Z:

QUOTE:

"I get the slight grinding on 1-2 and 2-3 shifts unless I wait and let the RPM's drop. In the slow shifting mode it responds okay but if you are the least bit aggressive on these shifts the syncros are not doing their job....IMHO. I have not contacted the dealer about this, hoping more experience from owners might prompt GM action."

I am not trying to be a smart azz but don't you think that sucks? :cheers:

JFERRELL88 03-17-2011 09:54 PM

Originally Posted by '06 Quicksilver Z06 (Post 1567177942)
Might be on to something.

This is another '08 with a transmission problem. 3000 miles 4 months old.
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=2136663

same problem here. gm blows sometimes i ended up getting a new tranny but now the damn thing is a bitch to put in reverse and i'm so fed up of messing with for now im living with my car was in the shop 3 months last year

FastestBusaAround 03-17-2011 10:39 PM

I had my 5th-6th gears and synchros changed under warranty because of a 5th gear grinding as well...

Mopar Jimmy 03-18-2011 12:36 AM

Originally Posted by JFERRELL88 (Post 1577086411)
same problem here. gm blows sometimes i ended up getting a new tranny but now the damn thing is a bitch to put in reverse and i'm so fed up of messing with for now im living with my car was in the shop 3 months last year

Chit, this seems like a legitimate tranny issue for more than just a few 08 Z owners! :willy:

What changes were made to the tranny if any for 2009 Zs?

Solid LT1 03-18-2011 12:43 AM

Originally Posted by Mopar Jimmy (Post 1577087922)
Chit, this seems like a legitimate tranny issue for more than just a few 08 Z owners! :willy:

What changes were made to the tranny if any for 2009 Zs?

Synchro rings went to carbon fibre multistage compared with brass rings in 08 trans. My 09 still isn't happy shifting into 1st gear when cold, improves after warm-up.

camirocz 03-18-2011 07:11 AM

I agree with you a hundred per cent .I bought a 2007 z06 last summer and they rebuilt the motor at the dealer and changed the seals in the transmission.Due to the pistons being back order i waited five weeks for my car.The people at the dealership were great, the G.M customer service department sucked big time.Didnt even offer me a couple of oil changes for the trouble.Absolutely unacceptable customer service.I am a dealer myself and i have previously worked at a g.m dealer for over ten years.

nolimits 03-20-2011 05:09 PM

Any full fix?

So what does one do? Cold problems are not acceptable nor part of design spec, who would buy. Does RPM have anything they've come out with? What do the 2010-2011s use? ZR1 I heard use 6060 trans. Anything better to swap it out for? Z06 is a great car but hard to deal with this especially at some of the low mileages being reported, let alone the poor GM support after acknowledging it in a service bulletin..

Mopar Jimmy 03-20-2011 05:23 PM

Originally Posted by nolimits (Post 1577111755)
So what does one do? Cold problems are not acceptable nor part of design spec, who would buy. Does RPM have anything they've come out with? What do the 2010-2011s use? ZR1 I heard use 6060 trans. Anything better to swap it out for? Z06 is a great car but hard to deal with this especially at some of the low mileages being reported, let alone the poor GM support after acknowledging it in a service bulletin..

Depends what issues your having. For instance, if you have an 08 Z and only have the issue that many report when the car is fired up cold and goes away after several minutes (just living with that it one logoical solution).

If you in the market and are concered about it stay away from an 08 Z, the issue was fixed in 2009, nor did it exist with the battle tested T-56 trannyd used in the 06 and 07 Zs.

If you have an 08 Z and are having significan problems that several here have reported bring it to your dealer to get things fixed (and hope for the best)!. :thumbs:

That being said what year Z do you have and are you having any issues with it?

HyperX 03-20-2011 05:40 PM

My 2008 Z06 is ok. So far no grind. My 2006 C6 did grind into second. As a matter of fact, when I stopped, sometimes I could not pop it into first unless I re-pumped the clutch..

nolimits 03-21-2011 12:48 AM

Originally Posted by Mopar Jimmy (Post 1577111873)
Depends what issues your having. For instance, if you have an 08 Z and only have the issue that many report when the car is fired up cold and goes away after several minutes (just living with that it one logoical solution).

If you in the market and are concered about it stay away from an 08 Z, the issue was fixed in 2009, nor did it exist with the battle tested T-56 trannyd used in the 06 and 07 Zs.

If you have an 08 Z and are having significan problems that several here have reported bring it to your dealer to get things fixed (and hope for the best)!. :thumbs:

That being said what year Z do you have and are you having any issues with it?

I'm looking for club event use. Had focused on 09s for the oil capacity til I read this thread. 09s can have the issues too, not fixed, they did however change synchros in 09 as the thread states. I just looked at a mint very low mileage late 09 that had the issue, fortunately I had read the thread the night before. Track use would certainly exasperate things. I'm going to check with RPM and see what they have to say. Just trying to find a good solution. Thanks

BSSN 03-21-2011 01:50 AM

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn (Post 1577080841)
Not that I know of and I don't expect any. It is normal operation and the 6 speeds in my 97, 03 and now 08 have all exhibited the same behavior. Close to 100K hard miles across all 3 with no signs of a transmission failure in 14 years. If it ain't broke don't fix it. A little bumping on a cold shift doesn't indicate or even come close to indicating a problem with a transmission. I started at the beginning of this thread and I think the OP was a victim of being anal and complaining about a non problem, which got him involved in a violation of the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" law.

Quality is when a product performs its intended function without failure. His transmission was performing its intended function and had no indications of failure.

Bill

what is cold? In 65* temps, before warming up, my 11 z06 1-2 is the same as the 3-4. The net carbon synchro's are nice. I think its z good upgrade if GM will cover it/ send the new one vs an 08 spec.