CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-zr1-and-z06-136/)
-   -   [Z06] 2008 Z06 may be a flaw in some tranny's (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-zr1-and-z06/2137967-2008-z06-may-be-a-flaw-in-some-trannys.html)

beden1 08-21-2009 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by Morrisman (Post 1571220591)
My '08 Z06 is now sitting at the dealership waiting for tranny parts. The dealer also complained that "What are you doing driving so fast that you are shifting into 5th gear at 5,500 rpm?". I didn't buy this car to just stare at it in my garage. I open it up once in a while and appreciate it's abilities. Some day I plan to start tracking this car a few times a year and doing some mods to it like R6 tires, big brake kit, and cam, but not until I am sure that all the stock parts are in good working order while it is still under warranty.

Where in hell are you driving your ZO6 on public streets, and able to be shifting from 4th to 5th at 5,500 RPM's?

Dark Overlord 08-21-2009 03:37 PM

Originally Posted by beden1 (Post 1571220960)
Where in hell are you driving your ZO6 on public streets, and able to be shifting from 4th to 5th at 5,500 RPM's?

Where this guy isnt! :leaving:

http://www.68customs.com/Buford_T_Justice.jpg

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

RichieRichZ06 08-21-2009 04:11 PM

It's only about 130MPH right? :rofl:

C5 Hardtop 08-21-2009 06:42 PM

Originally Posted by RichieRichZ06 (Post 1571221625)
It's only about 130MPH right? :rofl:

The Z can do over 100 MPH in 3rd. I can only imagine the speed winding out 4th! I'm going to guess its more than 130 MPH.

augydog 08-21-2009 07:59 PM

Originally Posted by C5 Hardtop (Post 1571223301)
The Z can do over 100 MPH in 3rd. I can only imagine the speed winding out 4th! I'm going to guess its more than 130 MPH.

I've been told 4th is a little bit over 160 :D

augydog

deesea 08-21-2009 08:00 PM

Originally Posted by captain454 (Post 1567688328)
Exactly. I live in SoCal, and I've never driven the car in ambient temps below 60F yet, and most of the time the ambient temp is 70+. I also have never taken the car above 3.5k RPM until the coolant temp is above 190 and the oil is above 150.

(snip)

There is no question that my car has something horribly wrong with it, just like many others here, but I'm not going to take it into GM and have them screw it up even more, while letting them hold onto it for 3-4 weeks. I'll wait until they FINALLY admit what the problem is and post a suitable TSB or recall outling the proper fix.

I live in SoCal too and reporting that my '08 Z bought in Aug '08 with 9600+ miles does it only when the tranny is cold. About 15 min after, all shifts are good.

Dan AKA deesea

3LZZ06 08-21-2009 08:06 PM

Originally Posted by augydog (Post 1571224192)
I've been told 4th is a little bit over 160 :D

augydog

You are correct sir...although I haven't experienced it first hand,
mid 160's is the number. :eek::eek::eek:

beden1 08-21-2009 08:38 PM

Originally Posted by 3LZZ06 (Post 1571224288)
You are correct sir...although I haven't experienced it first hand,
mid 160's is the number. :eek::eek::eek:

I figured he would have to doing something like this speed. So, where can this poster child of a speed demon be possibly doing this speed on public streets/roads?

Something smells of you know what to me! :bs

Morrisman 08-22-2009 01:50 PM

This forum chat is about bad trannys, don't fill it with your personal issues.

However, you are always welcome to join me for a ride. :D

Morrisman 09-21-2009 08:58 PM

Originally Posted by Morrisman (Post 1571220591)
My '08 Z06 is now sitting at the dealership waiting for tranny parts. GM is going to warranty the work, but took them a couple of days of negotiation to agree to this. They said tranny broke from me driving too hard. Not true. 5,000 miles on the car. Sometimes the gears would grind going into reverse. Embarrassing to grind gears in an expensive car. People are thinking I have an expensive sports car but I don't even know how to shift gears. Plus, it would not go into 5th when trying to shift above 5,500 rpm. I brought it to the dealership a couple of months ago and dealership said they couldn't duplicate the problem. I'm sure they tried their best. The problems remained and slowly got worse until it would no longer go into reverse at all. I am now relieved that it broke to a point where GM cannot deny there is a problem. I had been driving it for two months waiting for this day to come. Dealership tried to get me to admit that I race the car at the track, which I don't. I have one mod on the car, Hoosier R6 tires, which they assumed means I race the car. Our driving season up here in Canada is only about 4 months long, which is about how long these tires will last if you don't track the car. I need new tires every year, but man does this car ever corner nice with these tires. The stock tires really hold this car back. The dealer also complained that "What are you doing driving so fast that you are shifting into 5th gear at 5,500 rpm?". I didn't buy this car to just stare at it in my garage. I open it up once in a while and appreciate it's abilities. Some day I plan to start tracking this car a few times a year and doing some mods to it like R6 tires, big brake kit, and cam, but not until I am sure that all the stock parts are in good working order while it is still under warranty.

GM fixed my tranny under warranty. Had the car for less than a week and now 4th gear is grinding most of the time. Doesn't matter how warm the oil is. GM has ordered 4th gear synchro and will call when the parts come in and fix it under warranty. Hopefully this time the tranny will work well.

JBauer47 09-22-2009 12:46 AM

My story real quick:

2008 Z06- 9000 miles 4th gear synchros went bad (lots of grinding). Fixed under warranty. Got car back and started noticing it was difficult to get into first and second. Went on a trip...half way there the transmission went had to drive home in second and fifth (God bless 505 hp) Dealer had GM replace the tranny. Yay for me ...right? But I was told that there was a "file" on my car and that they were not going to replace anything transmission related because they suspect I am abusing the car. The car has never seen a dragstrip, was tracked once for 10 laps, spends most of the days in cruise control at 75 mph on the interstate...but I dont drive it like a Cadilac...:leaving:

longdaddy 09-22-2009 03:44 AM

Originally Posted by JBauer47 (Post 1571576742)
Dealer had GM replace the tranny. Yay for me ...right? But I was told that there was a "file" on my car and that they were not going to replace anything transmission related because they suspect I am abusing the car. The car has never seen a dragstrip, was tracked once for 10 laps, spends most of the days in cruise control at 75 mph on the interstate...but I dont drive it like a Cadilac...:leaving:

see i never understood this approach (heard about it a couple of times this year) - they fix something and then say they are pulling future coverage. what if they screwed up the install and it will cause more damage down the road? if they can prove the car was taken outside of warranty specified parameters (I am not saying this particular car was or was not), why did they fix it in the first place?

JBauer47 09-22-2009 12:44 PM

Exactly... I don't know if it was the SA just BS-ing or if it really came from GM. Nothing surprises me these days. I love my car but honestly I am not enjoying it anymore. I am afraid if I touch the gas and the car explodes GM will say you shouldn't have touched the gas pedal and now your warranty is void. I will say this once my "warranty" is up I have some big plans for this car...:flag:

VetteramI 09-22-2009 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by Keyser Soze (Post 1567179037)
I've got the grind in 2nd and 3rd, but only when it's cold. After the car warms up the problem is gone.

Ta hell with my tranny, I just fell in love with your avatar

beden1 09-22-2009 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by Morrisman (Post 1571230673)
This forum chat is about bad trannys, don't fill it with your personal issues.

However, you are always welcome to join me for a ride. :D

Personal issues? I don't understand that, as much as I don't understand how you can be going so fast on public streets like you "claim"!

vray 09-22-2009 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by beden1 (Post 1571580959)
Personal issues? I don't understand that, as much as I don't understand how you can be going so fast on public streets like you "claim"!

That isn't the point of this thread.

obzidian 09-22-2009 05:38 PM

Well, i feel for you guys. Got a new 09 after my 08 was traded for THIS EXACT REASON. Car saw the dealer 4 times (all trans related) before I got fed up.

Well, at 7K miles, car was in the dealer for 2nd/reverse and 1st gear grinding. W/E, it was "fixed" but i believe they left something loose and now it clanks. Great timing as the car is BACK at the dealer for clutch/hydraulic issues and I'm starting to notice the same thing in 2nd/reverse gears. Hard to shift, and all of a sudden... CRUNCH!!!!!

So, IMO humble opinion.... we have TWO main issues. Block out rings and our a weak hydraulic system that does allow the clutch to full disengage thus premature wear on trans parts. There is a reason we have to swap trans fluid almost ever other week due to contaminated fluid.

GM needs to address this instead of dumping their customers out to the curb.

04Z16 09-22-2009 05:49 PM

Originally Posted by JBauer47 (Post 1571576742)
My story real quick:

2008 Z06- 9000 miles 4th gear synchros went bad (lots of grinding). Fixed under warranty. Got car back and started noticing it was difficult to get into first and second. Went on a trip...half way there the transmission went had to drive home in second and fifth (God bless 505 hp) Dealer had GM replace the tranny. Yay for me ...right? But I was told that there was a "file" on my car and that they were not going to replace anything transmission related because they suspect I am abusing the car. The car has never seen a dragstrip, was tracked once for 10 laps, spends most of the days in cruise control at 75 mph on the interstate...but I dont drive it like a Cadilac...:leaving:

I drive mine like a Cadillac, oh all 556hp and 551 torque. Oh yeah, this one is a caddy. If I drove this one like the Z, well I'd be grinding the gears still.

Dirty Howie 09-22-2009 06:51 PM

Originally Posted by obzidian (Post 1571583822)
Well, i feel for you guys. Got a new 09 after my 08 was traded for THIS EXACT REASON. Car saw the dealer 4 times (all trans related) before I got fed up.

Well, at 7K miles, car was in the dealer for 2nd/reverse and 1st gear grinding. W/E, it was "fixed" but i believe they left something loose and now it clanks. Great timing as the car is BACK at the dealer for clutch/hydraulic issues and I'm starting to notice the same thing in 2nd/reverse gears. Hard to shift, and all of a sudden... CRUNCH!!!!!

So, IMO humble opinion.... we have TWO main issues. Block out rings and our a weak hydraulic system that does allow the clutch to full disengage thus premature wear on trans parts. There is a reason we have to swap trans fluid almost ever other week due to contaminated fluid.
GM needs to address this instead of dumping their customers out to the curb.

I think you meant CLUTCH fluid. :thumbs:

:cheers:
DH

RoHo 09-22-2009 07:22 PM

The New Vipers and the Mustangs have the same transmission, are they also haveing problems?