CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C5 General (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-general-103/)
-   -   Replace Sideview Mirrors?? (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-general/2133706-replace-sideview-mirrors.html)

Gburg 09-15-2008 02:44 PM

Replace Sideview Mirrors??

When I got my ’04 (16,300 miles), a few months ago; the previous owner said that the auto dimming element of the left side-view mirror went bad. He replaced it with a right side-view mirror. Odd thought I. [Guess he was trying to save some $$.] Ideal for one of those, “Objects in Mirror are Losing” decals.

In later years; to have the correct original/replacement parts, on my Vette; I think that I should get a correct replacement ’04 left side view mirror.

It also has become a safety issue. Even though I can still see a car in the left mirror; in the rearview mirror the car is too close, in the blind spot, for the safe passing of another vehicle. This is a serious problem, especially at night, in the rain. Hard to judge how far away another car is before pulling out to pass.

Should I get a replacement left mirror from a dealer or order one from an after market vendor? Can I easily get a ’04 left mirror through a Chevy dealer? How should I approach a dealer to do the install and paint match job for an after market mirror replacement? I understand that the replacement mirrors come unpainted. Advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Gburg :auto:

blacksedan87 09-15-2008 08:32 PM

Just order the correct glass - there's no way that the entire housing from one side would fit on the other. My guess would be the dealer's parts department is the place to order that. Pulling out the glass and replacing it is not huge big deal other than you have to be a little careful.

Jet-Jock 09-15-2008 08:36 PM

Originally Posted by blacksedan87 (Post 1567118354)
Just order the correct glass - there's no way that the entire housing from one side would fit on the other. My guess would be the dealer's parts department is the place to order that. Pulling out the glass and replacing it is not huge big deal other than you have to be a little careful.

:iagree:

Ask if that is the best price after they quote the price, they usually will discount from full retail. You have to ask. You can get it online from other dealers for a lot cheaper remind them.

Nick1 09-15-2008 08:45 PM

If you do a search on this much has been written, a very common problem unfortunately! You can get a replacement plain mirror snap in for around $70. The light sensitive dimming type one costs well over $200. If mine goes, I would go for the simple and cheaper replacement.
Someone may chime in with a good supplier.:cheers:

Gburg 09-17-2008 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by Nick1 (Post 1567118545)
If you do a search on this much has been written, a very common problem unfortunately! You can get a replacement plain mirror snap in for around $70. The light sensitive dimming type one costs well over $200. If mine goes, I would go for the simple and cheaper replacement.
Someone may chime in with a good supplier.:cheers:

-------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks for the replies.

I did not know that just the mirror glass could be replaced w/o replacing the whole mirror housing unit. With my power being off since Sunday, I could check only Ecklers and Corvette Central
for mirror glass replacement for the left sideview mirror. Could find only the right sideview convex mirror and the complete mirror housing unit, that needs to be installed and painted. So, I am still looking for a source to replace the left sideview mirror with ordinary mirror glass for the left sideview mirror w/o replacing the entire mirror housing unit.

blacksedan87 09-17-2008 10:42 AM

Originally Posted by Gburg (Post 1567137070)
-------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks for the replies.

I did not know that just the mirror glass could be replaced w/o replacing the whole mirror housing unit. With my power being off since Sunday, I could check only Ecklers and Corvette Central
for mirror glass replacement for the left sideview mirror. Could find only the right sideview convex mirror and the complete mirror housing unit, that needs to be installed and painted. So, I am still looking for a source to replace the left sideview mirror with ordinary mirror glass for the left sideview mirror w/o replacing the entire mirror housing unit.

Eckler's has your part - #44016.

http://www.ecklers.com/product.asp?p...6&dept_id=1481

Gburg 09-17-2008 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by blacksedan87 (Post 1567137507)

GREAT!!!!

Thanks for the source tip. This is what I need.

Gburg:auto: :seeya