CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C4 Tech/Performance (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c4-tech-performance-48/)
-   -   Symptoms of a bad/dirty MAF ? (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c4-tech-performance/2119844-symptoms-of-a-bad-dirty-maf.html)

_twisted_ 08-30-2008 05:02 PM

Symptoms of a bad/dirty MAF ?

Help me out here, did your K&N make your MAF act up?

I cleaned my filter about 2 months ago, all was ok until recently.

The car runs ok, but when I lug it around in OD within 1/4 mile it starts to die then a slight buck, throws a code 33, and stalls out

SHut it down, Check ENgine light goes out and drive home in D and it hasn't thrown a code.

:bigears

cwyates4 08-30-2008 05:24 PM

33 is MAF high voltage...if your wire was dirty, I think you would see a 34 pop up. Wouldn't hurt to clean it, but I'd be looking at other things...like the possibility of a vacuum leak.

engle1147 08-30-2008 05:27 PM

Had that happen once - the engine made a big bang under hard power while going about 50 MPH then the car died....but it restarted and I dove it home at about 20mph which is all the thing could muster. The thin MAF wire inside was fried - K&N oil all inside the MAF. Your problem should have shown up before 2 months though...mine only took a few days. Check your MAF wire...if it's intact change the 2 MAF relays.

Well at least I now know how much filter oil is too much.

Good Luck!

theadmiral94 08-30-2008 11:56 PM

It does sound like a dirty MAF (our 94 never gave a code, but it did stumble at 1100-1200 RPM and buck a bit at 1600-1700 RPM.

Once I cleaned the TB, IAC and MAF (using the CRC products specifically for each), the stumble and bucking both stopped.

After reading about concerns about the K&N Filter oil migrating into the MAF, and also a comparision of filters (which showed K&N allowed more dirt through), I also removed the K&N filter and switched to a paper filter (NAPA GOLD), especially since it is only a street car.

BTW, I also found some oily dirt on the engine side of the MAF. I concluded the PCV valve was original and most probably the spring inside was weak and allowing the PCV to close prematurely, causing engine blow-by to be forced backward towards the TB and the backside of the MAF (also found one of those 'airfoils' in the intake, which I removed too).

I posted additional info about this a few weeks ago, try doing a search for my id and MAF to find it...

juanway 08-31-2008 03:14 AM

Originally Posted by _twisted_ (Post 1566909440)
Help me out here, did your K&N make your MAF act up?

I cleaned my filter about 2 months ago, all was ok until recently.

The car runs ok, but when I lug it around in OD within 1/4 mile it starts to die then a slight buck, throws a code 33, and stalls out

SHut it down, Check ENgine light goes out and drive home in D and it hasn't thrown a code.

:bigears

Take that K&n filter and get your money back it has a life time warranty and find a wix air filter . that K&n sets to close to the MAF
I have had 2 Maf taken out, to see if it is the MAF unplug it and the computor in the car will go to set default settings and then start you r vette and I bet it runs better. That K&N filter left me standed in Taos , New Mexico.

formul89 08-31-2008 06:10 PM

My 94 is throwing code H48-MAF. I cleaned the TB, IAC and sprayed the MAF insides with MAF cleaner and it runs better with it disconnected. I can at least drive it that way, but plugged in the engine runs awful.

I'm stumped.

cwyates4 08-31-2008 06:17 PM

Uh, Me thinks you need to check for power to the maf. If power is there, maf is probably toast.