CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C5 Tech (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-tech-1/)
-   -   How to kill/disable Magna-Steer circuit malfunction warning? (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-tech/2083145-how-to-kill-disable-magna-steer-circuit-malfunction-warning.html)

atikovi 07-20-2008 10:28 AM

How to kill/disable Magna-Steer circuit malfunction warning?

While this isn't on a C5 but a '97 Cadillac, the Magna-Steer system should be the same so I thought I'll ask this here. I'm getting the Magna-Steer circuit malfunction warning in the dash so I removed the Magna-Steer connector and checked the resistance of the coil and it was infinite resistance, i.e. there is an open in the coil and so I would need to replace the steering rack to fix. Since I don't want to do that, at least not right now, how can I disable the Magna-Steer circuit malfunction warning message in the dash? Can I just plug in a resistor that would simulate the resistance of the coil (about 2 ohms according to what I've heard)?

BlackZ06 07-20-2008 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by atikovi (Post 1566377755)
While this isn't on a C5 but a '97 Cadillac, the Magna-Steer system should be the same so I thought I'll ask this here. I'm getting the Magna-Steer circuit malfunction warning in the dash so I removed the Magna-Steer connector and checked the resistance of the coil and it was infinite resistance, i.e. there is an open in the coil and so I would need to replace the steering rack to fix. Since I don't want to do that, at least not right now, how can I disable the Magna-Steer circuit malfunction warning message in the dash? Can I just plug in a resistor that would simulate the resistance of the coil (about 2 ohms according to what I've heard)?

You shouldn't need to replace the steering rack .... the "coil" is at the base of your steering column ... right ??

That is the Steering Wheel Position Sensor (SWPS) .... it sends a varying set of signals (it should have two "sides" ... or an A and B signal) based on your steering wheel position.

The EBCM goes through a "centering" test (not sure how it's done on the Cadillac) but I suspect that simply putting on some resistors won't fool it. On the othr hand, can't hurt to try ... worst case if you do fool it you will have "regular" power steering as the "varaible" Magnasteer would never get triggered as it would never think you were turning.

The steering column has to be partailly removed to replace the sensor in a Corvette .... you don't have to remove the whole column.

I looked it up for a 1997 DeVille and the sensor is listed at list price $307.72 ..... I found it under .... Steering Column ... Shaft and Internal Components ..... Position Sensor ....

http://www.gmpartshouse.com

:cheers:

Bill Dearborn 07-20-2008 06:28 PM

98 Seville Variable Steering Info

DTC C1241 Magnasteer Malfunction
Circuit Description
The EBTCM controls a bi-directional magnetic rotary solenoid. The solenoid is in the steering gear. The solenoid adjusts the amount of power steering assist in order to achieve a given level of driver effort in turning the vehicle. The EBTCM varies the steering assist by adjusting the current flow through the solenoid. The amount of steering assist adjusted for steering is dependent upon vehicle speed. As the vehicle speed increases, the following actions occur:

The steering assist decreases
The driver effort increases.
As the vehicle speed decreases, the following actions occur:

The steering assist increases
The driver effort decreases.
The EBTCM detects an open or a short in the steering circuit by comparing feedback current to the commanded current. If the feedback current is less than 360 mA while the absolute value of the commanded current is greater than 826 mA for 0.5 seconds, a fault is present.

Conditions for Setting the DTC
All of the following conditions occur:

The ignition is ON.
The EBTCM detects one of the following conditions:
An open
A short to ground
A short to voltage
Action Taken When the DTC Sets
The EBTCM stores a malfunction DTC.
The EBTCM disables the variable effort steering.
The DIC displays the SERVICE STEERING SYS message.
Conditions for Clearing the DTC
The condition for DTC is no longer present and you used scan tool Clear DTCs function.
The condition for DTC is no longer present and you used the On-Board Clear DTCs function.
The EBTCM does not detect the DTC in 50 drive cycles.
Diagnostic Aids
It is very important that a thorough inspection of the wiring and connectors be performed. Failure to carefully and fully inspect wiring and connectors may result in misdiagnosis, causing part replacement with reappearance of the malfunction.
An intermittent malfunction can be caused by poor connections, broken insulation, or a wire that is broken inside the insulation.
If an intermittent malfunction exists, refer to Intermittents and Poor Connections Diagnosis in Wiring Systems.
Step
Action
Value(s)
Yes
No

Did you perform the Variable Effort Steering System Check?
--
Go to Step 2
Go to Variable Effort Steering System Check

Inspect the wiring and the connectors for damage.

Is physical damage evident?
--
Go to Step 3
Go to Step 4

Repair damage to the wiring and connectors. Refer to Wiring Repairs in Wiring Systems.

Did you complete the repair?
--
--

Turn OFF the ignition.
Disconnect the EBTCM connector.
Install the J 39700 universal pinout box using the J 39700-25 cable adapter to the EBTCM harness connector only.
Use a J 39200 DMM in order to measure the resistance between terminal C and terminal F of the J 39700 .
Is the resistance within the specified range?
1.6-3.1 ohms
Go to Step 19
Go to Step 5

Disconnect the variable steering actuator connector.
Use a J 39200 DMM in order to measure the resistance between the variable steering actuator terminal A and terminal B.
Is the resistance within the specified range?
1.6-3.1 ohms
Go to Step 6
Go to Step 12

Use a J 39200 DMM in order to measure the resistance between terminal C of the J 39700 and the variable steering actuator connector terminal A.

Is the resistance less than the specified value?
0.5 ohms
Go to Step 7
Go to Step 13

Use a J 39200 DMM in order to measure the resistance between terminal F of the J 39700 and the variable steering actuator connector terminal B.

0.5 ohms
Go to Step 8
Go to Step 14

Use a J 39200 DMM in order to measure the resistance between terminal F of the J 39700 and a good ground.

OL
Go to Step 15
Go to Step 9

Use a J 39200 DMM in order to measure the voltage between terminal F of the J 39700 and a good ground.

Is the voltage greater than the specified value?
1 V
Go to Step 16
Go to Step 10

Use a J 39200 DMM in order to measure the resistance between terminal C of the J 39700 and a good ground.

OL
Go to Step 17
Go to Step 11

Use a J 39200 DMM in order to measure the voltage between terminal C of the J 39700 and a good ground.

Is the voltage greater than the specified value?
1 V
Go to Step 18
Go to Step 19

Replace the variable steering actuator. Refer to Power Steering Gear Replacement in Power Steering System.

--
--

Repair the open in CKT 1787 (GRY). Refer to Wiring Repairs in Wiring Systems.

--
--

Repair the open in CKT 345 (WHT). Refer to Wiring Repairs in Wiring Systems.

--
--

Repair the short to ground in CKT 345 (WHT). Refer to Wiring Repairs in Wiring Systems.

--
--

Repair the short to voltage in CKT 345 (WHT). Refer to Wiring Repairs in Wiring Systems.

--
--

Repair the short to ground in CKT 1787 (GRY). Refer to Wiring Repairs in Wiring Systems.

--
--

Repair the short to voltage in CKT 1787 (GRY). Refer to Wiring Repairs in Wiring Systems.

--
--

Replace the EBTCM. Refer to Electronic Brake Control Module (EBCM) Replacement in Antilock Brake System.

--
--

Bill

atikovi 07-20-2008 08:09 PM

Thanks for the suggestions. The '98 and up models have the second generation Magnasteer and the diagnostics may be different but it still leads to the same conclusion that I need a new rack. If I follow the chart and go to step 5 "Is the resistance within the specified range? 1.6-3.1 ohms" No it's infinite, go to step 12 "Replace the variable steering actuator. Refer to Power Steering Gear Replacement in Power Steering System." And there is no mention that the Magnasteer coil assembly can be replaced, just the whole rack.

Rock Auto has an AC Delco rack for $328 or Cardone for $257.