CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C6 Tech/Performance (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-tech-performance-101/)
-   -   ok im lost - program spare key fob ? (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-tech-performance/2074020-ok-im-lost-program-spare-key-fob.html)

tonycorvettehd 07-09-2008 02:44 PM

ok im lost - program spare key fob ?

i bought a num 1 key fob on ebay with instructios,but they dont work,i have an 05 with push button ignition with a working number 2 ,,,please guide me ,,,thanks guys tony

'VETTE PHASE 07-09-2008 11:47 PM

Method 1 - Key Fob Quick Learn

This procedure will add key fobs. Fobs will be numbered in sequence based on when they are programmed; if 2 fobs are currently programmed to the RCDLR, a fob programmed using this method will be numbered as Fob 3. This procedure requires that you have a known good key fob, a replacement key fob, and the vehicles mechanical key.

Important: This procedure is not available when the maximum number of fobs (4) have been programmed. If 4 key fobs are programmed to this RCDLR and this method is attempted, the driver information center (DIC) will display MAX FOBS LEARNED and the programming procedure will exit. Method 4 must be used in this instance.

1. The vehicle must be OFF.
2. Open the rear compartment.
3. Place a known key fob within the interior of the vehicle.
4. At the rear of the vehicle insert the vehicle key in the rear compartment lock cylinder located in the lower left and cycle the key 5 times within 5 seconds.
5. The DIC will display a message: READY FOR FOB X (X = fob 2, 3, or 4).
6. Place the replacement key fob in the glove box fob pocket with the buttons facing right.
7. A beep will occur and the DIC will display: READY FOR FOB X (X = fob 3 or 4) or MAX FOBS LEARNED.
8. If programming additional key fobs, repeat steps 5 and 6, or press the OFF/ACC portion of the ignition switch to exit programming mode.
9. Operate the active portion of each key fob to exit the programming and to verify correct system operation.

The number on the fob doesn't have anything to do with Driver Number. If you are wanting to change your fobs so that Fob 1 corresponds to Driver 1, I believe you will have to go to the dealer and hook it up to a Tech II.

Method 2 - Key Fob Slot Programming

This procedure will add or replace a key fob. Method 2 allows you to choose which location (slot) the unprogrammed fob will be learned to. If you are replacing a key fob, this method will erase the previously known key fob programmed to that particular slot. This procedure requires that you have a known good key fob, a replacement key fob, the vehicle mechanical key, and a scan tool.

Important: This procedure is not available when the maximum number of fobs (4) have been programmed. If 4 key fobs are programmed to this RCDLR and this method is attempted, the DIC will display MAX FOBS LEARNED and the programming procedure will exit. Method 4 must be used in this instance.

4. At the rear of the vehicle insert the vehicle key in the rear compartment lock cylinder located in the lower left and cycle the key 5 times within 5 seconds.
5. Install a scan tool.
6. Use the scan tool, to access the following:
• Vehicle Control Systems
• Computer/Integrating Systems
• Module Replacement/Setup
• RCDLR
• Program Key Fobs
7. Select Fob X (X = 1, 2, 3, or 4) on the scan tool. This will be the slot you wish to program to.
8. Place the replacement key fob in the glove box pocket with the buttons facing right. A beep will occur indicating programming completion. The previously known fob is now erased.
9. If programming additional key fobs, repeat steps 4-8, or press the OFF/ACC portion of the ignition switch to exit programming.
10. Remove the scan tool.
11. Operate the active portion of each key fob to exit the programming and verify correct system operation.

Vette_DD 07-10-2008 12:54 AM

The fob that you have that is not yet programmed for your car can only be programmed as a #1 fob or a #2 fob by using method 2 in the post above by 2000C-5. YOU MUST PROGRAM BOTH FOBS, even the one the car already recognizes, when you use that procedure.

If you screw it up, it's possible you could wind up with no fobs that will start your car and your car would have to be flat-bedded to the dealer to fix it.

mraoshi 07-10-2008 02:18 AM

Originally Posted by 2000C-5 (Post 1566242807)
Method 1 - Key Fob Quick Learn

This procedure will add key fobs. Fobs will be numbered in sequence based on when they are programmed; if 2 fobs are currently programmed to the RCDLR, a fob programmed using this method will be numbered as Fob 3. This procedure requires that you have a known good key fob, a replacement key fob, and the vehicles mechanical key.

Important: This procedure is not available when the maximum number of fobs (4) have been programmed. If 4 key fobs are programmed to this RCDLR and this method is attempted, the driver information center (DIC) will display MAX FOBS LEARNED and the programming procedure will exit. Method 4 must be used in this instance.

5. The DIC will display a message: READY FOR FOB X (X = fob 2, 3, or 4).
6. Place the replacement key fob in the glove box fob pocket with the buttons facing right.
7. A beep will occur and the DIC will display: READY FOR FOB X (X = fob 3 or 4) or MAX FOBS LEARNED.
8. If programming additional key fobs, repeat steps 5 and 6, or press the OFF/ACC portion of the ignition switch to exit programming mode.
9. Operate the active portion of each key fob to exit the programming and to verify correct system operation.

The number on the fob doesn't have anything to do with Driver Number. If you are wanting to change your fobs so that Fob 1 corresponds to Driver 1, I believe you will have to go to the dealer and hook it up to a Tech II.

Method 2 - Key Fob Slot Programming

This procedure will add or replace a key fob. Method 2 allows you to choose which location (slot) the unprogrammed fob will be learned to. If you are replacing a key fob, this method will erase the previously known key fob programmed to that particular slot. This procedure requires that you have a known good key fob, a replacement key fob, the vehicle mechanical key, and a scan tool.

Important: This procedure is not available when the maximum number of fobs (4) have been programmed. If 4 key fobs are programmed to this RCDLR and this method is attempted, the DIC will display MAX FOBS LEARNED and the programming procedure will exit. Method 4 must be used in this instance.

5. Install a scan tool.
6. Use the scan tool, to access the following:
• Vehicle Control Systems
• Computer/Integrating Systems
• Module Replacement/Setup
• RCDLR
• Program Key Fobs
7. Select Fob X (X = 1, 2, 3, or 4) on the scan tool. This will be the slot you wish to program to.
8. Place the replacement key fob in the glove box pocket with the buttons facing right. A beep will occur indicating programming completion. The previously known fob is now erased.
9. If programming additional key fobs, repeat steps 4-8, or press the OFF/ACC portion of the ignition switch to exit programming.
10. Remove the scan tool.
11. Operate the active portion of each key fob to exit the programming and verify correct system operation.

thank you so much !!!!

let me tell you guys something, I went to a Chevrolet Dealer with my 08' C6, to get 2 new keys and keyfobs.

I went to the parts department and ordered 2 key fobs and keys, when they came in, I went to pick them up, and made a appointment with the service department.

The next day, I went to the service department at 8 O'Clock. The service technician told me that I couldn't use the new 08 FOBs, and needed to use the old FOBs. I was surprised... So I exchanged one of the 08 ones for a older version, but kept one of the new 08's because I had a hunch it could work..

So I had to come in again at 11:00, because they had to order the FOBs. Then after a hour and a half of waiting, at 12:30, the service tech told me that. "their programmer was malfunctioning, it says its okay, but then it doesn't work", and told me to, "maybe call us tomorrow and see if its working, or you could try another chevrolet dealer'.

So I went home, having wasted a lot of time.

Then I went on Corvette forum and found your post, followed it. and programed both my new keyfobs. the 08' version and the old version... all by myself.

It's pretty ridiculous that the service department of a Chevrolet dealer can't do what I just did by just following some very very useful instructions..

'VETTE PHASE 07-10-2008 05:30 PM

Originally Posted by JimTN (Post 1566243521)

If you screw it up, it's possible you could wind up with no fobs that will start your car and your car would have to be flat-bedded to the dealer to fix it.

Actually, if you wanted to start from scratch, you can. It works the same way as Method 1 above, except that it takes 30 minutes before it will start the programming. The DIC will countdown the 30 minutes for you and say "Ready for Fob 1". I guess the 30 minutes is so that someone can't jump in your car and program a fob real quick to steal your car.

tonycorvettehd 07-10-2008 09:15 PM

got it

it worked ,thanks im loving this c6

NormWild 07-19-2008 02:02 PM

My DIC will not display anything when I cycle the key. I've followed the instructions so I don't know what I'm doing wrong. I'm trying to just re-program my #2 FOB.

Sonic03inSC 08-05-2009 09:43 AM

Originally Posted by Beatitt (Post 1566369224)
My DIC will not display anything when I cycle the key. I've followed the instructions so I don't know what I'm doing wrong. I'm trying to just re-program my #2 FOB.

Same issue here, anyone help?

Kent1999 08-06-2009 02:33 AM

Originally Posted by Sonic03inSC (Post 1571029755)
Same issue here, anyone help?

For C6's that won't go into "fob learn mode", try this... :thumbs:
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/1570351932-post19.html

Cheers,
Kent

Barzten1 08-06-2009 03:48 AM

subscribed

Ed 718 08-06-2009 04:05 AM

Originally Posted by Barzten1 (Post 1571040884)
subscribed

Welcome to the forum Jason and good to see you join out forum. If you have any question let me know brother.

Ed

bugzweiser 05-06-2010 12:13 AM

anyone know if the newer style key fob will program to my 2006

Vette_DD 05-06-2010 12:55 AM

Originally Posted by bugzweiser (Post 1573984765)
anyone know if the newer style key fob will program to my 2006

Yes, but the key that comes with it will not work in the 2006 key slot over the rear license plate.

mvcrash 05-06-2010 06:38 AM

Start a new one.