CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C5 Tech (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-tech-1/)
-   -   Cost to rebuild a transmission? (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-tech/2005286-cost-to-rebuild-a-transmission.html)

rrod100 04-22-2008 10:59 PM

Cost to rebuild a transmission?

I was wondering what it costs to rebuild a transmission as far as parts and then what labor costs. I'm having problems with reverse and second gear. Reverse gear sometimes does not go in and second gear you have to force the gear in sometimes. I want to get an idea of what it costs to rebuild a transmission because i want to get it done in the next week. So before i take it to different shops i want to have an idea of what it will be costing me. I live in the fresno ca area so if anyone knows any good shops just let me know.

Thanks in advance for any help

candacedianne 04-23-2008 10:06 AM

On our 1991 Vette it was $1500 and they never got it right...we even had it done at Amaco. They had to rebuild part of it again a second time because it was done incorrectly the first time.
Make sure you get someone who knows how to rebuild a vette transmission. We thought we did, but he really had no idea. Very frustrating! We no longer have that car, we traded it in.
Good luck! Also, it would be worth it to get an extended warranty, might cost you $700 or so, but it would be worth it if you have the $$ :)

nextime 04-23-2008 11:49 AM

I was told it was slightly cheaper than buying a new GM Transmission. I had 2nd and reverse issues too so they replaced the Transmission instead, it was covered under warranty.

biggreen54 04-23-2008 02:45 PM

I just had my A4 rebuilt. Took about a week. Cost was $1800 for just the rebuild. Labor for removal & reinstall plus trans & diff fluids was on top of that for a grand total of about $2900 by the time it was all done.

dougnstein 04-23-2008 06:56 PM

might want to check the forum for shifter adjustment and fully synthetic fluid before you spend that much $$.. I had similar problems and flushed it with new synthetic fluid (amsoil maybe?) and the difficulty shifting went away, i think an adjustment would help the rest of mine i'm just waiting until B&M shifter install...

nextime 04-23-2008 06:58 PM

It is not a shifter adjustment, we both suffered from the exact same symptoms.

WKMCD 04-23-2008 07:00 PM

Call Rodney at RPM and find out. He's the best! :thumbs:

Rickyh93 04-23-2008 10:11 PM

I agree with the above about Rodney, Todd and TJ and RPM transmissions. I was in the process of rebuilding mine but after waiting a month from a different transmission supplier and running out of time to get the car back together, I called TJ at RPM and had a Level 5 mn12 the next day. Great people to deal with and smoothest shifting transmission I've ever had.

motogib1 04-23-2008 11:01 PM

Probably cheaper in the long haul to get a built tranny from RPM. Check their website, I believe a Level IV RPM tranny can be had for around $1800 plus installation, check their website or call them. Much less likely to fail in the future. Thats what I would do and I am a tightwad.