CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C5 Tech (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-tech-1/)
-   -   Windshield Wipers won't go all the way down (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-tech/1882622-windshield-wipers-wont-go-all-the-way-down.html)

Hunnicuttz 12-07-2007 06:01 PM

Windshield Wipers won't go all the way down

On my brothers 1999 model the wipers work just fine, but when you turn them off they dont go all the way down to the resting position. What could be wrong here? Does he need new motors?

ICUALL 12-07-2007 06:29 PM

???????

How far down do they go ? When mine had this problem I pulled the covers and removed the 2 nuts, lifted the arms and reseated in the full down position and retightened. Problem solved.....

Hunnicuttz 12-07-2007 06:32 PM

Originally Posted by ICUALL (Post 1563075517)
How far down do they go ? When mine had this problem I pulled the covers and removed the 2 nuts, lifted the arms and reseated in the full down position and retightened. Problem solved.....

When you first turn on the wipers, the position they move up to before they start to wipe, that is the position they are staying in when you turn them off.

ICUALL 12-07-2007 06:36 PM

Before you do anything else

I'd try repositioning the arms in the full down position before I went further. Sometimes the Nuts will loosen and the wiper blade moves causing it to stop as you describe. It is a simple procedure to do and might save you $$$$$.

Hunnicuttz 12-07-2007 06:38 PM

Originally Posted by ICUALL (Post 1563075599)
I'd try repositioning the arms in the full down position before I went further. Sometimes the Nuts will loosen and the wiper blade moves causing it to stop as you describe. It is a simple procedure to do and might save you $$$$$.

Ok great, I we will try that tonight! :cheers:

Bob CTS 12-07-2007 09:09 PM

Mine would not return to the home postion for some reason, but after disconnecting the battery everything returned to normal.

Hunnicuttz 12-07-2007 09:41 PM

Ok i have tried to loosen the bolts and then moving them down, that didn't work. I disconnected the battery and let it sit for a little while, and that didn't work.

rustyguns 12-07-2007 11:17 PM

Originally Posted by Hunnicuttz (Post 1563077987)
Ok i have tried to loosen the bolts and then moving them down, that didn't work. I disconnected the battery and let it sit for a little while, and that didn't work.

i just replaced my wiper motor because they wouldn't turn off :(

i used a used motor and i notice a hesitation when i turn them off at the top of the stroke.:eek:

i think it is the positioning cam sensor tabs are messed up a little. i pulled my old motor controller off and the grease was so thick it built up on the electronics board something awful! guesing its nonconductive but who knows. :crazy:

if you want you can pull your motor its pretty easy. pop off the controller box on the bottoms and clean up the cam positioning tabs:flag:

just an educational guess no guarantee G/L :thumbs:

Hunnicuttz 12-07-2007 11:34 PM

Originally Posted by rustyguns (Post 1563079137)
i just replaced my wiper motor because they wouldn't turn off :(

i used a used motor and i notice a hesitation when i turn them off at the top of the stroke.:eek:

i think it is the positioning cam sensor tabs are messed up a little. i pulled my old motor controller off and the grease was so thick it built up on the electronics board something awful! guesing its nonconductive but who knows. :crazy:

if you want you can pull your motor its pretty easy. pop off the controller box on the bottoms and clean up the cam positioning tabs:flag:

just an educational guess no guarantee G/L :thumbs:

Does anyone have a how to on pulling the motors?

rustyguns 12-08-2007 12:45 AM

Originally Posted by Hunnicuttz (Post 1563079314)
Does anyone have a how to on pulling the motors?

amazing what you can find here using the search option :thumbs:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...ht=wiper+motor

your welcome :flag:

Hunnicuttz 12-08-2007 10:24 AM

Originally Posted by rustyguns (Post 1563079979)
amazing what you can find here using the search option :thumbs:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...ht=wiper+motor

your welcome :flag:

yeah I did do a search but couldn't find anything. and that link you just sent me doesn't have a how to in it. It is a guy asking for help and no one answered him. :crazy:

sneakelman 12-08-2007 10:47 AM

Remove the black cowel cover, 5 pins to pull then lift off
Unbolt the wiper cam, you'll see a white hard rubber piece in the cam that sits atop the motor. It is seated on a knuckle, so you will have to pry pretty hard to get it off. If I remember right, the battery terminal puller you use to pull the wipers off is what I used.
Now you simply unbolt the rest of the remaining bolts and lift the wiper motor out.
Now, take a pic of the orientation of the cam/gear as it sets on the motor. If you replace the motor, you have to remove this piece and put on your new motor. You'll need th pic to make sure you orient it correctly.
Once you get the cowel off, and the wiper cam out of the way, you can see everything. Nothing complicated under there, so no surprises to deal with.
HTH. :thumbs: :cheers:
Need anymore help, PM me.

Hunnicuttz 12-08-2007 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by sneakelman (Post 1563082772)
Remove the black cowel cover, 5 pins to pull then lift off
Unbolt the wiper cam, you'll see a white hard rubber piece in the cam that sits atop the motor. It is seated on a knuckle, so you will have to pry pretty hard to get it off. If I remember right, the battery terminal puller you use to pull the wipers off is what I used.
Now you simply unbolt the rest of the remaining bolts and lift the wiper motor out.
Now, take a pic of the orientation of the cam/gear as it sets on the motor. If you replace the motor, you have to remove this piece and put on your new motor. You'll need th pic to make sure you orient it correctly.
Once you get the cowel off, and the wiper cam out of the way, you can see everything. Nothing complicated under there, so no surprises to deal with.
HTH. :thumbs: :cheers:
Need anymore help, PM me.

There we go! thats what i needed :thumbs:
I am at work right now but I will try that when i get home. Thank you!!!