CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C5 General (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-general-103/)
-   -   Telescopic steering wheel won't move (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-general/1760609-telescopic-steering-wheel-wont-move.html)

USRobo 07-17-2007 07:49 PM

Telescopic steering wheel won't move

My telescopic steering wheel just stopped moving. It was working then when I got out of the car it did not move. Is there a fuse for this? If so where is it?

Is it possible something else could be wrong?

Thanks,

USRobo
:willy:

chevyvette1 07-17-2007 08:10 PM

here you go try this, mine stopped working once before and this took care of it, no problems since

Telescoping Steering Column Calibration

Telescoping Soft Stops

After replacement of the seat control module, it is necessary to program the telescoping soft stops. Each soft stop is a programmable end of travel that is set approximately 1.3 cm (0.5 inch) from the mechanical end of travel. The steering column has a soft stop set at each end of the telescoping in/out movement. The system uses soft stops to prevent wear on the system by ensuring that the steering column movement stops before it reaches its mechanical end of travel in any direction. The soft stops are initially programmed at the factory. The stop positions may be reprogrammed, which is necessary any time the seat control module is replaced, as described in the following procedure.

Telescoping Soft Stop Programming Procedure

1] Turn ignition to ON, leaving the engine off.

2] To set the telescoping in soft stop, press the telescoping COLUMN IN switch at least eight times or until the column moves.

3] Press the telescoping COLUMN IN switch and hold the switch until the column travels all the way in, and continue to hold the switch about a second after motion stops at the mechanical end of travel. The soft stop for the column in position is now set. The seat control module automatically goes back to the normal mode of operation.

4] Repeat steps 2 and 3, using the COLUMN OUT switch, to set the column out position soft stop

this is from Zilla

USRobo 07-17-2007 08:13 PM

Wow, learn something new every day. I will try this and let you know if works.

Thanks,

RedSoxFan 07-17-2007 08:31 PM

Bookmarked for future reference. :thumbs: Thanks chevyvette1 and Zilla. :cheers:

mcgilles 07-17-2007 08:31 PM

mine was completely inoperative when I got my car. after some time it started to work on its own but only when it felt like it. I was working on similar problems with my seat and I removed the power connectors from the driver's seat and cleaned and reconnected them with some dialectic grease. since then the wheel has worked flawlessly. looks like the power or control for the wheel goes through the SCM (which make sense, as it is also part of the memory system) and the weak contacts in the connector were responsible for the failure.

USRobo 07-17-2007 10:34 PM

That worked!

Thanks a million.

USRobo

Originally Posted by chevyvette1 (Post 1561117320)
here you go try this, mine stopped working once before and this took care of it, no problems since

Telescoping Soft Stops

After replacement of the seat control module, it is necessary to program the telescoping soft stops. Each soft stop is a programmable end of travel that is set approximately 1.3 cm (0.5 inch) from the mechanical end of travel. The steering column has a soft stop set at each end of the telescoping in/out movement. The system uses soft stops to prevent wear on the system by ensuring that the steering column movement stops before it reaches its mechanical end of travel in any direction. The soft stops are initially programmed at the factory. The stop positions may be reprogrammed, which is necessary any time the seat control module is replaced, as described in the following procedure.

2] To set the telescoping in soft stop, press the telescoping COLUMN IN switch at least eight times or until the column moves.

3] Press the telescoping COLUMN IN switch and hold the switch until the column travels all the way in, and continue to hold the switch about a second after motion stops at the mechanical end of travel. The soft stop for the column in position is now set. The seat control module automatically goes back to the normal mode of operation.

4] Repeat steps 2 and 3, using the COLUMN OUT switch, to set the column out position soft stop

this is from Zilla

metrocopper 03-05-2008 07:42 PM

My problem

I had read all the threads on the telescopic wheel problems, but mine didn't fit the symptoms. I could hear a clicking when the switch was pressed in or out. I tried the reset for the memory and no go. I even tried cleaning the contacts on the seat connector because someone said it is intergrated with the column telescopic memory. NaDa!!

Well I got adventurous and took down the panels under the steering column in my 2002 Black Coupe 6 spd. I found that there is a cable that looks like a speedometer cable about 18 inches long. It is connected to a motor mounted above the steering column base and snakes up to the gearing for the telescopic part of the wheel. My cable had twisted it self in two at the point it went into the gearing box just behind the wheel. Pressing the switch got the motor spinning but no movement at all. The clicking I was hearing was from the cable ends grinding against each other. I would have included some pictures of the damaged parts in case someone else has the same problem but I can't attach photos. I will be going off to the dealer in the morning to see if they have the cable in stock to restore my telescopic feature. :cheers:

I'm reluctantly doing so because at 6foot 2 inches I had no problem reaching the wheel. My girlfriend though has been relegated to her Infinify G35 because she can't get the wheel close enough for her to drive my Vette. :rofl:

ArmyVetteran 10-16-2009 03:51 PM

Telescoping Soft Stops

this is from Zilla

This worked like a champ! Thanks for the tip, I'd been trying to figure out what to do about this for months and the local shop won't even look at it for less than $150!

truax031502 03-20-2010 08:57 PM

On my 1999 C5 my Telescoping Steering Column stopped moving and now my driver seat won't go back. It will go foward but not back, now im stuck riding with my knees in my chest. This sucks and I need some advice on this. Thanks davidtruax9@charter.net

ALLEGRO 03-20-2010 09:55 PM

Originally Posted by ArmyVetteran (Post 1571842433)
This worked like a champ! Thanks for the tip, I'd been trying to figure out what to do about this for months and the local shop won't even look at it for less than $150!

Isn't this place the BEST ?? :cheers:

SteveDoten 03-21-2010 10:10 AM

Nice fix

for the knee in chest, often the control gets wet

nkolodij 08-15-2010 10:31 AM

Telescoping Soft Stops

this is from Zilla

Mine stopped working and this did the trick!

Thanks

OleBill 04-13-2012 02:51 PM

Worked for me too

Had driver's door window regulator replaced at the dealer. Column did some strange movements and then stopped. This answer just work to solve my problems. I have the set of factory manuals and still can't locate information about setting the soft stops. Where did this come from?

Kman1971 04-16-2012 10:51 PM

Telescoping Soft Stops

this is from Zilla

WOWWZEERSSSSSSSSSSSS

This site is the best. I just noticed tonight that my steering wheel was not moving in or out when starting the car to the set points. I remembered a post about this not long ago. Went through the procedure and had it fixed and working again in less than a minute. That could have been costly at a dealer....

THANKS AGAIN>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>:cheers:

dakotahoss 04-27-2012 11:39 PM

My 2005 C6 Vette just had the same problem a day after we installed a supercharger. I was all set to take my Vette to the dealer and spend hundreds to get it working again. My son suggested I look for this same problem on the Corvette Forum and sure enough here is the answer! I did it and now the telescoping function works just like it did!

Thank you fellow Corvette owners, you are outstanding!!

Vetteman Jack 04-28-2012 12:14 AM

Old thread, but some good information. Thanks to all who posted up their story.

Mjeffers05 05-31-2012 12:36 AM

The wheel and driver side seat stopped working on my 2005 C6. I read in the forum about wires under the seat that possibly could be broken and causing the problem..sure enough it was two broken wires.Everything works perfect now.

klattu 08-03-2012 01:19 AM

Yes I'm new...rebuilding a water logged C5
Just where is the control for the telescoping ?

And I also agree on the vast amount of information here.
Doing lots of searches.

sbadd99 08-03-2012 04:00 AM

should be in the How To, DIY

VETJAZZ 08-24-2012 09:50 PM

Had this pop up today. A Google search brought up this threat and it worked like a charm. Thanks Chevyvette1!! :cheers:

Nuke MM 09-26-2013 12:38 PM

Worked perfectly, thanks for saving me time and $$$.

RobLo 10-12-2013 05:00 PM

Had the same problem with my Steering Wheel, wouldn't move in or out. I searched the Forum and found this thread, went out today and tried the press in-press out tip a few times, still nothing. By chance I moved the seat back a little just to get more room and the Wheel started working, I guess something under the seat as has been said. I'll check the connections when I get time but at least for now problem fixed, thanks to all for the help! :cheers:

williams3324 11-08-2013 10:58 PM

Column and drivers seat

The passenger seat works but the drivers seat and telescopic column do not. If I am reading right, there seems to be a common problem under the drivers seat with wiring of the seat control module. Is that the case???

RobLo 11-09-2013 09:51 AM

Originally Posted by williams3324 (Post 1585384950)
The passenger seat works but the drivers seat and telescopic column do not. If I am reading right, there seems to be a common problem under the drivers seat with wiring of the seat control module. Is that the case???

I think there's a common connection under the drivers seat that links the seat and the steering wheel. If I remember correctly, the connector sometimes comes loose from the constant movement of the seat back and forth. Do a search on the forum about this, lots of posts. As I said above, my steering wheel wasn't working and when I moved the seat back and forth a few times, the wheel started working again. I don't use personalized seat settings anymore to minimize seat movement, it stays in the same position when I drive and when exiting the car. Hope this helps...

williams3324 11-10-2013 11:27 AM

I have found several threads about the drivers power seat and steering wheel not operating because of wiring issues, and I know how to fix mine. My question here is, is there a way to move the seat forward as a temporary solution until I can remove the seat and fix the broken wiring harness???

Youngchris 02-20-2014 02:16 PM

Thank You Very, Very much. I have been working on this problem for a few days and was getting nowhere. I read your solution, tried it and it fixed it in about 30 seconds.
Unbelievable. Can't thank you enough!!

Youngchris

grsweet 04-28-2014 09:27 PM

Telescoping Soft Stops

this is from Zilla

Which years (C5) have the telescopic steering feature??? Thanks, in advance!

bjones7131 04-28-2014 09:46 PM

I love this forum, u guys rock. I spend more time here than email or facebook.

grsweet 05-04-2014 01:46 PM

Telescoping Steering Column on all C5s???

Telescoping Soft Stops

this is from Zilla

Is the telescopic feature on all C5s? If not, which years?? Was it "standard equipment" or just an "option"?? Thanks!

lilmonster 01-13-2015 12:39 AM

Telescoping Soft Stops

this is from Zilla

Thank You!!!! :rock:

LoneStarFRC 03-17-2015 04:41 PM

Originally Posted by grsweet (Post 1586818392)
Is the telescopic feature on all C5s? If not, which years?? Was it "standard equipment" or just an "option"?? Thanks!

Option.

RIKKI Z-06 03-17-2015 10:52 PM

:iagree::cheers:

Originally Posted by bjones7131 (Post 1586774336)
I love this forum, u guys rock. I spend more time here than email or facebook.

abusdriver 03-28-2015 09:08 PM

Just recently ran into this problem and was all set to get my local dealer involved when I thought about all the smart dudes/dudettes here in Forumland who might have experienced this same issue and solved the problem. Sure enough, this thread has the answer. I would suggest one small twist to the recommended steps as I tried the procedure described here (telescoping switch 8 times) with no luck. Read a little further about the seat module and tried moving the seat forward and operating the telescoping switch AT THE SAME TIME and THAT did the trick...Thanks Forum Bubbahs!...as has been said before, this forum ROCKS!
:rock:

OlyC6 02-25-2016 08:13 PM

Just happened today... out of the blue after making a stop while running errands. The column was 100% "in" and wouldn't move. Seat would adjust. Tried the 8x click thing... didn't seem to make a diff -- nothing happened. Then, after 2x-3x off/on, off/on (ignition-motor), it's like it all reset on its own and started working normal.

Weird...

RED LT4 02-26-2016 01:48 PM

Well this weekend I will try this. I was wondering WTH was happening because mine just stopped working too....

Nyt_Muves 02-26-2016 03:13 PM

I have had to do this twice in a year.

labidus 07-05-2016 05:53 PM

I try this procedure without success...

I got my vette last week, the seat was not moving, so I removed the seat, cleaned up both seats (under). Then just to make sure I have a good control module I switched the R seat with the left... My driver seat was not moving, but I forget that the seat was disconnected and did not check, anyway now the seats move but since the seat is broked, theforward and backward are not working because the metal bracket that turn broken, so I removed all the stuffs and able to move the seat forward/backward with a screw driver and it work very well even if the seat is in the vette.

But since the steering no longer work. when I push the button 8 times nothing append, My guest is the columns cannot move its all way IN. I try the OUT procedure but got the same thing, no sound, nothing move. Any suggestion?

Swapping the modules is a bad idea? Both module are the same.

Thanks in advance

labidus 07-07-2016 08:08 PM

Originally Posted by labidus (Post 1592568211)
I try this procedure without success...

I got my vette last week, the seat was not moving, so I removed the seat, cleaned up both seats (under). Then just to make sure I have a good control module I switched the R seat with the left... My driver seat was not moving, but I forget that the seat was disconnected and did not check, anyway now the seats move but since the seat is broked, theforward and backward are not working because the metal bracket that turn broken, so I removed all the stuffs and able to move the seat forward/backward with a screw driver and it work very well even if the seat is in the vette.

But since the steering no longer work. when I push the button 8 times nothing append, My guest is the columns cannot move its all way IN. I try the OUT procedure but got the same thing, no sound, nothing move. Any suggestion?

Swapping the modules is a bad idea? Both module are the same.

Thanks in advance

Ok I resolved the issue by swiping back the module, sound like the left vs right module are not working well if they are swiped... now my telescopic steering wheel is working!

acesx4 07-21-2016 06:09 PM

:ack: My memory seat doesn't hold anther position, checked the connections under the seat than cleared old memory set to new positions beeps twice still nothing!!

Rob1Vette 12-03-2016 11:12 AM

Does anyone know if you can add a telescopic column to another car ?

Thanks

nnicholas 06-28-2017 12:00 PM

Thank you for the soft stop information. This fixed mine and my friends C-5 telescopic steering wheel to start working again. Great find!

Nick

Kevin Maierle 08-10-2018 03:14 PM

Telescoping Soft Stops

this is from Zilla

Thanks a ton! Worked like a champ!

bagreenberg 11-25-2019 06:57 PM

I read this and thought your solution was crazy talk. I'll be damned it didn't work!!! Only difference is the column started moving on the 7th time I pressed the switch. I don't know how much you saved me --- the Corvette place I take my car was searching for a used mechanism and talking about having to remove the entire dash, etc., etc. Plus, now I'm keeping my 2001 and not having to buy a 2020!!! Yet.

mrwick01 04-01-2020 05:34 PM

Telescoping column

Bought my 2000 several months ago and the telescoping column best guess is I caught it working every once in awhile but now nothing. Did have the drivers seat out to put the seat covers on but did not to any replacement of parts. Tried the soft stop routine and still nothing. I do not hear any clicks or feel any movement. Was getting ready to pull the drivers seat out so I could get under the steering column for a better look. Can not get under there unless I take the seat out. I will check the cables while I am at it and maybe I will find something. Sure would like to get it to work.

bagreenberg 04-01-2020 05:51 PM

Originally Posted by bagreenberg (Post 1600552177)
I read this and thought your solution was crazy talk. I'll be damned it didn't work!!! Only difference is the column started moving on the 7th time I pressed the switch. I don't know how much you saved me --- the Corvette place I take my car was searching for a used mechanism and talking about having to remove the entire dash, etc., etc. Plus, now I'm keeping my 2001 and not having to buy a 2020!!! Yet.

That's too bad. The soft stop solution worked like a charm for me. Make sure you press the knob a bunch of times; it just suddenly started working for me after about 7 or 8 times.

mrwick01 04-01-2020 07:58 PM

Telescoping column

I pressed the in button 7 or 8 times then 10 to15 times with no luck. Turned the key off and back on several times while trying the switch still nothing. Moved the seat back and forth many times while moving the switch and still nothing. I will pull the seat back out and check the wiring to see if anything is broken. Do not remember if the column has ever worked since I took the seat out to swap the seat covers out. I sure was hoping that would fix it been spending a lot of money fixing stuff since I bought the car last November. Had to fix or replace 40 items so far so I hope I am getting near the end.

mrwick01 04-06-2020 07:09 PM

Telescoping wheel

Took the seat out did not find anything but did not reseat any of the connectors in the SCM just the ones that I had to remove to take the seat out. Removed the lower knee pad so I could look in the area of the telescoping mechanics. If I compare what I saw to a parts catalog picture it looks like the adapter is missing pn 26052086 I see the actuator and what appears to be a stop bolt in the area where the column should move in and out. The column has worked right after I bought the car but now nothing. I was unable to see the drive motor or the flex cable so I may have to dig a little deeper. Should have reseated the connectors in the SCM. Has anyone actually looked at their car to see if it looks like the pictures in the parts catalog? Any suggestions would be a help.

mrwick01 04-21-2020 06:27 PM

Telescoping steering wheel

Found out that if I opened the door and just leaned into the car and operated the in/out switch the steering wheel would work. Got it the car sat down in the seat and the steering column would not move. Repeated this process 4 times and every time I was not in the seat it worked as it should and when I sat down it stopped working. Then I put a small amount of pressure with my had on the seat bottom and the column would work/not work as I took my hand off the seat. Took the seat out and repositioned the SCM so its wring would not be rubbing on the under seat foam support wires.Has worked with no failures ever since.

rob-cyn 08-07-2020 01:20 PM

I know this is an old thread but I read where the seat control module caused an issue with this and I just bought a car with aftermarket seats so could that be my issue ? Thanks

USRobo 08-07-2020 05:22 PM

Yes, try it.

Telescoping Soft Stops

Originally Posted by rob-cyn (Post 1601973562)
I know this is an old thread but I read where the seat control module caused an issue with this and I just bought a car with aftermarket seats so could that be my issue ? Thanks

rob-cyn 08-07-2020 05:31 PM

Originally Posted by USRobo (Post 1601974822)
Yes, try it.

Telescoping Soft Stops

Will do thanks

mrwick01 08-07-2020 06:03 PM

Wiring for the telescoping column runs from the column switch down the column under the carpet to the SCM and back under the carpet back to the column switch. It took me several months to figure out what was going on. After I repositioned the BCM the the telescoping has worked with no problems. If you have aftermarket seats are the electronics under the seats similiar to the OEM seats?