CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C5 Tech (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-tech-1/)
-   -   HOW TO 99-02 PCM into 97-98 Corvette (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-tech/1750377-how-to-99-02-pcm-into-97-98-corvette.html)

Chuck CoW 12-17-2009 11:25 AM

Or you can just shut the VATS off alltogether.

Originally Posted by Bill Curlee (Post 1572449398)
Try this first:

BCM/PCM RELEARN PROCEDURE

You will need to conduct the PCM/BCM relearn process. This matches their handshake ID's and allows them to talk to each other.

Do this before you worry about VATS issues:

1. Turn on the key for 11 minutes.
2 Turn off the key for 30 seconds.
3. Repeat 1&2 two more times.
4. Turn on the key for 30 seconds.

The car should start and run with the new BCM. Good luck and report back on your progress.
Shirl
SD Racing Enterprises
Aguila, AZ
Coutersy of MrEracer

This will sync the PCM to the New BCM but all of your RPO options will not be retained. You will need a TECH II to program them into the new BCM.

Bill Curlee

Or you can just shut the VATS off all together.

Chuck CoW

TurboBerserker 12-17-2009 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by Chuck CoW (Post 1572456308)
Circuits are called different names for the same things in different years... Quite nutty.

This is true, but I got around the confusion by looking at the circuit numbers, which IIRC are the same no matter what goofy name thing GM did ;)

For me, doing the work at my "leisure" in my peronal shop, the benefits of having a 411 PCM to work with over the 97 were well worth the labor (i.e. get the 427 running in 15 min, tuned in < 3 hours as opposed to trying to "hack" a 97 PCM to run my 427 ;)). I can definitely see the point from a business perspective, however, as the labor cost would be just silly.

oh, and EFI can definitely do the 97 VIN into the 411 PCM as Chuck mentions above. My car is living proof.

Chuck CoW 12-17-2009 11:45 AM

Just remember that.....

Originally Posted by TurboBerserker (Post 1572456482)
This is true, but I got around the confusion by looking at the circuit numbers, which IIRC are the same no matter what goofy name thing GM did ;)

For me, doing the work at my "leisure" in my peronal shop, the benefits of having a 411 PCM to work with over the 97 were well worth the labor (i.e. get the 427 running in 15 min, tuned in < 3 hours as opposed to trying to "hack" a 97 PCM to run my 427 ;)). I can definitely see the point from a business perspective, however, as the labor cost would be just silly.

oh, and EFI can definitely do the 97 VIN into the 411 PCM as Chuck mentions above. My car is living proof.

Just remember that the 97/98 CARS had a vacuum referenced fuel pressure regulator and the 99 up cars didn't... You'll have to make sure that the slope of your injector flow rate is correct.

For injectors, I would call Jon at FIC. You should be able to find him on the forum.

Chuck CoW

TurboBerserker 12-17-2009 12:01 PM

What I did was make the FPR truely vacuum referenced by plugging it in to a vacuum source rather than metered air at the bridge and then use a flat IFR (like you see in the 1Mb return fuel system bins in the truck line). Works like a charm :)

voda1 04-21-2010 02:23 PM

Tip about fuel gauge here: http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-s...-a-98-pcm.html
post #10

bcarp 04-21-2010 02:32 PM

Originally Posted by voda1 (Post 1573832289)
Tip about fuel gauge here: http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-s...-a-98-pcm.html
post #10

I just spoke with someone at ECS about this not 2 hours ago. I have been fighting this for a long time and driving around without a working guage. I hope this fixes my problem, if so I am going to be so happy I could cry and go ahead and cry since i already replaced the right sending unit thinking it was the problem.:banghead:

bcarp 04-21-2010 07:29 PM

Well I just pulled the pin.............Looks like it is working right:cheers::cheers::cheers:I think I am going to have to go for a long drive since I have a full talk of gas.

Thanks ECS

Mike69@ECS 04-21-2010 08:00 PM

Glad it worked out, I was the one who spoke to you on the phone today. You can thank Doug and Tommy for the knowledge tho, i just relayed what they told me. :thumbs:

Sorry you swapped the sending unit tho.:banghead:

:cheers:

bcarp 04-21-2010 08:17 PM

Yea I was getting desperate for a solution, and was about to throw every part I could find at it out of frustration luckily my pocketbook wouldn't allow it. On the bright side I have a good sending unit for sale. :rofl:
I am about to go for a drive and fill it the rest of the way up just to be sure, since that was always a time it would fail.:cheers:
When it comes supercharger time I will be giving ECS a call, customer service to someone that has not even been a customer yet is very rare to find. I havent wanted to take the car on a very long trip just because it bothers me when everything is not working right.
Tell them thanks
Bob

MADDOX45 05-06-2010 10:08 PM

2002 pcm into a 1998 corvette

Originally Posted by Tony @ MPH (Post 1562005595)
Right, that's what I'm saying -- a conversion harness right at the PCM. All of the pinout information can be had in the right technical manuals.

Of course I don't know how cost effective it would be to make them or where to get the raw materials (connectors) but I am just throwing the idea out there.

Greetings
A Mechanic McCelland Performance decided to experiement on my car and changed it .My Car runs but lots of codes, Electric don't work, Check Eng stays on, won't idle with the AC on,left the PCM Loose, I have to tape wires every month, interior lights just come on 1 time a week, etc
If you do it go to the EXPERTS not a local Nut

MADDOX45 05-06-2010 10:10 PM

2002 pcm into a 1998 corvette

Originally Posted by Tony @ MPH (Post 1562005595)
Right, that's what I'm saying -- a conversion harness right at the PCM. All of the pinout information can be had in the right technical manuals.

Of course I don't know how cost effective it would be to make them or where to get the raw materials (connectors) but I am just throwing the idea out there.

Greetings
A Mechanic McCelland Performance decided to experiment on my car and changed it .My Car runs but lots of codes, Electric Seats don't work, Check Eng stays on, won't idle with the AC on,left the PCM Loose, I have to tape wires every month, interior lights just come on 1 time a week, etc
I have Twin Turbos, STS, they cost me an extra $10,000 to get them to work properly
If you do it go to the EXPERTS not a local Nut

daws222000 05-19-2010 05:07 PM

Need help asap please

I am about to repin my 97 i have a 12200411 pcm my car is a auto. Im not sure if this copmuter is for a auto or a manual will it make a difference. When i program my 97 vin into the new computer wont the old softeware come up. I plan on running 20lbs of boost so i think i really need to do this. Thanks Eric

bcarp 05-19-2010 05:20 PM

HP tuners

If you are using HP tuners it will not work with you original VIN. I figured out that the hard way. What are you using for software?
Tech 2?

daws222000 05-19-2010 08:12 PM

pin

Originally Posted by bcarp (Post 1574123616)
If you are using HP tuners it will not work with you original VIN. I figured out that the hard way. What are you using for software?
Tech 2?

Ya i will be using hp tuners, is there another way of doing it? I might just stay with the 97 computer and have to trrick it, it will be my tuners job not mine. I am just trying to make it easier on him and also give me a better os.

bcarp 05-19-2010 09:12 PM

Just leave whatever VIN is there in it and dont worry about it. If you do not know it that is no big deal either as long as the ECM is good. Since I had never done this before it took me a while but I have no lights or any other problems after the swap. That is thanks to ECS after their tip my fuel guage is fine now.

TurboBerserker 05-20-2010 01:55 PM

Originally Posted by daws222000 (Post 1574123467)
I am about to repin my 97 i have a 12200411 pcm my car is a auto. Im not sure if this copmuter is for a auto or a manual will it make a difference. When i program my 97 vin into the new computer wont the old softeware come up. I plan on running 20lbs of boost so i think i really need to do this. Thanks Eric

PCM is the same auto or manual. I'm using EFI Live and running my 97 VIN.

If you're going to boost it, you definitely do NOT want to keep the 97 PCM.

bcarp 05-20-2010 02:09 PM

Yes with EFI live you can do that but HP tuners you cant

steven31371 06-14-2012 10:52 PM

Originally Posted by 99blackFRC (Post 1560966897)
Just for clarification, you can use a RR on a 98 without doing the conversion.

Whats an RR?

madmatt9471 06-14-2012 11:11 PM

Originally Posted by TurboBerserker (Post 1574132948)
PCM is the same auto or manual. I'm using EFI Live and running my 97 VIN.

If you're going to boost it, you definitely do NOT want to keep the 97 PCM.

I disagree - if you want over 18+ PSI of Boost you can opt for the later 99+ Up PCM -

But you should not say you want to or need to get rid of the 97-98 PCM many of us have and do run, safely, Boost at 18 PSI and above on the 97-98 PCM with a 2 BAR MAP Sensor -

The 99+ Up PCM will allow one to run a 3 BAR for additional Boost! :D

Thanks,Matt

Dave Robinson 05-30-2015 08:59 AM

ASR lost after PCM Upgrade - Fact or Crap?

"There is no need to worry about the fuel gauge, it will work as is. Only the file needs to be changed and the fuel gauge parameters calibrated. The ASR will not work though"

Can anyone confirm (or deny) comment made on another forum about the ASR not working after doing the '98 to '02 conversion.

My PCM is functional, but, for some reason, not allowing ANYONE to read or write to it - so my dreams of getting a decent tune on this thing are 'up the creek' without finding a solution. The '98 to '02 solution looks quite 'do-able', but it would be nice to know for sure if I'm about to lose traction control.:hide: