CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C6 Corvette General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-general-discussion-74/)
-   -   How to store a corvette over the winter (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-general-discussion/1685309-how-to-store-a-corvette-over-the-winter.html)

saz25 04-23-2007 09:02 AM

How to store a corvette over the winter

Hi,
I am about to get my new vette in a few weeks. I live in New Hampshire, where I won't be driving my new baby that much in the winter months.

I'm starting to think winter storage. I found a local storage facility that has 10x20 garages.

Question:
1) Does it matter whether the storage garage is heated or not?
2) Do I need to put the car up on blocks or not?

Any suggestions?
Thanks,
Steve

AORoads 04-23-2007 09:04 AM

No it doesn't matter if it's heated or not. And I'd say no, it doesn't matter if you put it up on blocks altho that may prevent a bit of flat-spotting of the tires.

Others will comment on Stabil, battery, cover, oil change, etc.

saz25 04-23-2007 09:11 AM

Thanks. Thats a good point about the battery, Stabil, etc.

I know that when I store my lawn mower and snow blower when its not in use, I add a few drops of gas stabilizer to the gas tank. Is that recommended when storing a car as well?

Should I disconnect the battery, etc.?

Thanks,
Steve

MN CHOPPER 04-23-2007 09:37 AM

good gas, battery tender and a car cover to tuck it in for a long winters nap:(

johnodrake 04-23-2007 09:41 AM

I "store" mine for the winter, but it is in my garage where I can look after it. If I were in a really cold climate - like yours - and were storing off-site, I would remove the battery and store it at home with a tender on it.

cthusker 04-23-2007 09:42 AM

Lets hope winter is a long long ways off! We just got done (I hope) in CT with the "Spring from Hell......... :ack:

CodyC6 04-23-2007 09:44 AM

I put mine in a 10X20 this past winter. Not heated is fine. As some places don't have power outlets for a battery tender, you may want to just disconnect the battery. You could pull it, and put a tender on it at home if needed. Just use the manual key procedure to get back in the car when ready to connect the battery back up.

not08crmanymore 04-23-2007 09:49 AM

i'M IN UPSTATE NY,same climate as you.Park it,"batterytenderize" it,put 40 lbs of pressure in the tires to avoid flat spotting and forget it.

MN CHOPPER 04-23-2007 09:52 AM

there is one nice thing about puting our cars away for the winter for those of us who live in the freezer... in the spring it is like we get brand new cars all over again... :D

saz25 04-23-2007 09:53 AM

Thanks for all the good replies. I have another "dumb" question. What is a "tender" as it relates to the battery I guess?
Thanks,
Steve

2008corvette 04-23-2007 09:57 AM

Good info above, you can also put "Bounce" dryer filter sheets all over the inside of your car to keep the mice out.

ProfMoriarty 04-23-2007 09:59 AM

For my garaged C6:

1. Fill gas tank and add Sta-Bil (7.5 oz.); run through fuel lines.

2. Change oil and filter.

3. Park on moisture barrier

4. Inflate tires to 38 psi cold.

5. Apply sealant, wax, etc. to exterior paint.

6. Apply leather dressing to seat panel.

7. Apply vinyl dressing to interior; and to exterior black trim pieces.

8. Hook up Batter Tender. Run wire into engine compartment from underneath car and duct tape exposed wire to floor so you don't trip over it and yank it out.

9. Crack windows a bit.

10. Cover with Wolf Dustop inside car cover.

11. Wait for Spring.

MachAll 2005 04-23-2007 10:27 AM

A few more things to consider........
- Warm up engine & oil thoroughly after your oil change ... before storing.
- Scatter a few moth balls around on the floor to help keep mice away.
- Put plastic bags on the exhaust tips to keep critters from crawling in.
- Pull up the corner of your cover monthly and LOOK......to get your blood pumping again.
- Don't start it until you are ready to get it out in the spring.
- Check over very closely for any critter nests in the engine compartment, etc.
- Check for and note any liquid drips on the floor for later investigation.
- Don't forget to remove plastic bags and pick up the moth balls so your don't crush them and make a mess.

not08crmanymore 04-23-2007 10:31 AM

Thanks for all the good replies. I have another "dumb" question. What is a "tender" as it relates to the battery I guess?
Thanks,
Steve
BATTERYTENDER.COM.It hooks up to the battery and keeps it fully charged and maintains it there;it's plugged into the wall socket.

carjon 04-23-2007 03:37 PM

I live in CT - I put stableizer in it - wash it put it under a cover and leave it outside for the winter. Seems to do fine.

Tri-Tip 04-23-2007 04:32 PM

I couldn't imagine having to live someplace where I would have to put my car away for half of the year.

50MileSmile 04-23-2007 06:54 PM

Everything everyone's already said, plus:

-Put a small rag under each wiper to relieve the pressure on the blades.
-Pump the clutch pedal and brake pedal each 10 times, once a month.
-Push the car forward (or back) a quarter rotation of the tires once a month to prevent flat spots.

Painrace 04-23-2007 08:43 PM

Move to South Carolina and drive it all winter!

LV_Tom 04-29-2007 11:54 PM

Winterize Your Vette

Sent it to Las Vegas. I'll drive it at least once a week. :thumbs:

longboy4 04-30-2007 03:26 AM

Highly foresighted.

.......its April and you're thinking about winter storage..............hmmm............... ..tell us....................Bloomberg or Hillary in '08????:D