CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C1 & C2 Corvettes (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c1-and-c2-corvettes-4/)
-   -   Body off 61 Rod project (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c1-and-c2-corvettes/1659580-body-off-61-rod-project.html)

kwkenuf 03-01-2010 09:56 PM

Originally Posted by Stan's Customs (Post 1573267435)
Allrightey then Andy...

Glad to see your making some headway. I just dug my rear bumper brackets out a few days ago to contemplate the best way to put them on Billy's frame...body on of body off. Which way is best?

Looks like you'll have yours going before long now...Congrats on some progress, keep it up..:thumbs::thumbs:

Stan...

Well, I recommend you do an initial body-on mock up to ensure your brackets are straight and everything fits up right but after that and prior to your last body drop, it would be easiest if you loosely fit up the passenger side rear bumper brackets to the frame as a minimum. There is less clearance on the passenger side due to the spare tire well being offset to that side and it can be difficult to fish each of the three brackets on the right side into place after the body is down. The drivers side is a piece of cake with the body on and with the brackets off during the body drop that's one less place you have to keep an eye on as it's going down...

As far as me finishing anytime soon... I wouldn't count on it.. Far too many things left to do on the car and many other distractions interfering with my quality time.... My busy little world just won't stop and let me off........ I originally intended to have the car complete in time for my daughter's homecoming football game during her senior year of high school... She's a junior in college now.... :banghead:

Stan's Customs 03-01-2010 10:59 PM

Every little bit counts Andy..small amounts here and there are what has finally added up to some tangeable progress in my case. Makes me feel good even if I only get a little done....kinda of soul food I guess.

You'rs looks good to me...a lot already done with the chasis and engine together. I can really relate to delays. Between relocating my elderly Mother and remodeling some of her property to support her...life has me on hold three years. Plus I have had some health issues to boot.

I'm getting able to do more now...after building a 20x40 paint shop addition on my existing building I finally have everything in palce after purchasing Billy's chassis and actually have made a little progress myself.. yea!

Thanks for the bumper allignment sugestions...I remembered that the right side was a pain to remove. I didn't think it would go back the way it came off...I had to pry it out.

Good luck and hang in..

Best regards..Stan

Stan's Customs 06-14-2010 08:01 PM

:lurk::seeya Stan...

kenmo 06-14-2010 10:09 PM

Cool...thanks for sharing....

my58 06-15-2010 03:47 PM

I guess I am not the only one that seems to struggle with time, money and life in general interfering with my project. :banghead:

I hope kwkenuf is doing well. I have enjoyed following his progress. It looks like he has done some great work and I look forward to seeing the completed project! :)

kwkenuf 07-26-2010 02:43 AM

Delayed update from the front...

The never ending saga continues... sort of...

Got my parts back months ago for the T-56 mechanical speedo conversion, here's what it looks like installed. Now I can retain my stock speedo (still need to freshen that up).

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e3...t/DSCN0485.jpg

Did a bit of real rough fiberglass work. Reinforced the interior firewall a little over the top of the hydraulic clutch cylinder mount... I'm using stock 4th Gen Camaro parts and there is an angle which must be dealt with. Billy Dawson sells a piece you can glass in to the firewall which saves some fabrication time. I'm installing an Ididit steering column which is why the stock hole for that is glassed over. After I smooth and reinforce the front of the firewall, I'll locate the new ball mount for the column.

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e3...t/DSCN0495.jpg

More fiberglass to do including finishing up the tunnel, here showing the rough relocated shifter hole. The paper is a template of the aluminum shifter boot plate I've got. It's a little on the large side so I'm currently looking for a smaller version that is still rectangular.

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e3...t/DSCN0494.jpg

And finally, the gas door opening I've been unhappy with... Nothing real serious, but I am a rank amateur at this stuff and I've been putting it off for far too long. I need to close up the front gap a bit and also round off corners of the (now) square opening. I've also got a bunch of cracks, rough spots and other misc pita type work all over the car.... I really hate sanding....

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e3...t/DSCN0492.jpg

david srour 07-26-2010 06:16 AM

Thanks.
I've had problems with my t56 conversion with leakage.
I've tried resealing around the insert, but have persistent leak.

Stan's Customs 07-26-2010 08:10 AM

:thumbs:Congrats on the renewed progress...

kwkenuf 07-26-2010 10:02 AM

Originally Posted by david srour (Post 1574812626)
Thanks.
I've had problems with my t56 conversion with leakage.
I've tried resealing around the insert, but have persistent leak.

David,
That's not good news.... I questioned the guy who did my machine work on this subject. His reply, "no leaks on any he has done including his personal vehicle which is a daily driver"..... Time will tell I guess. Looks to be a function of machining accuracy and placement of the sleeve.
Who did your drive conversion?

david srour 08-09-2010 07:52 AM

Sorry for delay, missed seeing message.
Mine was done by shiftworks.
He told me he did have some leaks because initially was using JB weld to seal sleeve and recommended resealing with silicone. He did apologize profusely.f
I removed mine and had the pass side welded, on the drivers side unable to weld due to way it's recessed. I sealed it with silicone very carefully. Still leaks!
Let me know your experience and vendor.
Thanks, David

Stan's Customs 03-29-2011 08:42 PM

:lurk::seeya:bigears

kwkenuf 03-30-2011 02:17 AM

Thanks for checking in Stan... No progress to report unfortunately. Lots of excuses, no good ones however. This sure is one long term project. I'm hoping to get off my butt and make some progress this spring... :D

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e3...16Medium-1.jpg

Stan's Customs 03-30-2011 08:47 AM

Yep I can relate Andy...spring will help me too. Hang in there...:yesnod:

Stan..

Stan's Customs 02-19-2012 08:26 AM

Hello again Andy...how's it going?

Well it's nearly spring...only a year later!! Last spring didn't help as much as I thought it would. but..

I did get my new Sermersheims front end mounted...hauled the car to Florida and Mike Coletta worked on it 11 days. Mike got a tremendous amount of work done but I had to come home.

Since then I've accomplished practically nothing.

My hardtop won't fit (and the body is perfect)....so I've sent it off to Glassworks to see what gives there....they have a jig that will tell if it's out of square. Lots of time lost there...

I bought several sets of cove trim...all the front fender curved pieces fit like crap...and I'm not going to settle for less than great. Absolutely will not tolerate a gap between the fenderwell opening and the front of the trim piece. I have found out that there is a reason for this...but won't go into it now. "Lots" of time waisted there...waiting for trim...one set which got mangled in shipment by UPS...Still haven't conquered the problem..

I found out not just anyone will plate the grill surround pieces...which we have fitted to the car. So I wound up ordering reproduction pieces...mainly to avoid waiting months to get my old stuff back....and would have cost hundreds of dollars more than the repros. Another disappointment...now I have to fit the new stuff. Bummer...the stuff Mike fitted looked sooo nice!

So far I have managed to fit the front and rear bumpers ...since Thanksgiving...and buy some paint equipment. If I ever get paint on this thing I'll feel Like I'm done! LOL...

I decided I had to give it a break...it's was eating my lunch. So I bought a new trap gun ..and am blasting off some of my frustrations. That sems to be working....and I haven't used it on the car yet...heh heh!

:seeya Stan..

tach drive 61 02-19-2012 08:52 AM

I have a uncle or two and me three who would love to drive your completed C 1 , keep info best you can on your build .my 61 is old school !

Old Vet 02-19-2012 01:59 PM

Stan if I could ask who did you get pricing for on recoating your grill surrounds? I am thinking of having my original pieces redone....Tim

Stan's Customs 02-19-2012 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by Old Vet (Post 1580056735)
Stan if I could ask who did you get pricing for on recoating your grill surrounds? I am thinking of having my original pieces redone....Tim

Sure ..you have a PM.

Dale002 10-28-2013 12:19 AM

What ever happen with this build?

kwkenuf 11-04-2013 01:08 AM

Originally Posted by Dale002 (Post 1585284390)
What ever happen with this build?

Still in construction unfortunately... Haven't touched it in 18 months... Hopefully once my present bout of unemployment ends I'll get re-motivated (and refunded) and return to regular progress updates...

93Polo 11-04-2013 07:58 AM

Originally Posted by kwkenuf (Post 1562135516)
Now I 'm hoping I didn't blow my money on the A/C relocation kit and I can get something to work for the alternator... 1 step forward, 2 steps back... ahh well.... On a positive note, I got my drive shaft and there was no drama with that..... While I figure out the accessory drive and wait for the parts, I'll get back to work readying the body to drop on the frame for it's first fit check.

Not sure if this will work:

http://ls1tech.com/forums/conversion...tall-body.html

I believe Holley offers a Corvette style bracket using the F-body balancer depth.