CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C3 Tech/Performance (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c3-tech-performance-3/)
-   -   Intake Manifold not Sealing? (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c3-tech-performance/1640030-intake-manifold-not-sealing.html)

Mikef714 03-04-2007 11:12 AM

Intake Manifold not Sealing?

Hello Everyone – I recently replaced the intake manifold gaskets on my 1972 LT-1. Everything was fine for the first few hundred miles but now I notice some coolant pooling around the second bolt in from the passenger side front (next to the heater hose connection. The bolts are torqued to the proper spec. Any ideas what I might be causing this and/or how to fix (maybe replace the intake gaskets again but I am not sure what I may have done wrong the last time)? Any thoughts are appreciated - Thanks

blctalon 03-04-2007 11:25 AM

Are you sure it's not the heater hose adapter leaking where it threads to the manifold or the hose connection itself?

80TexasC3 03-04-2007 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by Mikef714 (Post 1559221588)
Hello Everyone – I recently replaced the intake manifold gaskets on my 1972 LT-1. Everything was fine for the first few hundred miles but now I notice some coolant pooling around the second bolt in from the passenger side front (next to the heater hose connection. The bolts are torqued to the proper spec. Any ideas what I might be causing this and/or how to fix (maybe replace the intake gaskets again but I am not sure what I may have done wrong the last time)? Any thoughts are appreciated - Thanks

Did you put some RTV around the threads before inserting the manifold bolts? Is recommended and really helps.

Glassbowtie77 03-04-2007 12:01 PM

Originally Posted by 80TexasC3 (Post 1559221759)
Did you put some RTV around the threads before inserting the manifold bolts? Is recommended and really helps.

:iagree: I also like to put a bead of sealer around the water jackets on both the heads and intake as well before installing the gaskets and torquing everything down. Also what did you torque your manifold bolts to and did you follow the correct torquing sequence?

Mikef714 03-04-2007 01:15 PM

Thanks for the suggestions. I will check the heater hose. I did use a small amount of silicone around the water jackets and used the specified torque value and sequence contained in the repair manual I have.

GaryS 03-04-2007 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by Mikef714 (Post 1559222964)
Thanks for the suggestions. I will check the heater hose. I did use a small amount of silicone around the water jackets and used the specified torque value and sequence contained in the repair manual I have.

Don't forget to put sealant on the threads of that bolt! It is not just torque.

69monzaredbigblock 03-04-2007 01:49 PM

I believe some of the intake bolts go into the coolant passage way. You need to seal the threads on the offending bolts.

AlCherry 03-04-2007 06:02 PM

Remember, when you use a sealant of any type, make sure to clean any excess, as to not get any in the oil passages. Pro's know this. Save your motor.