CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C5 General (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-general-103/)
-   -   Burning rubber smell from heater vents??? (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-general/1625145-burning-rubber-smell-from-heater-vents.html)

jbauch357 02-15-2007 01:05 PM

Burning rubber smell from heater vents???

I know this is a complete shot in the dark, but figured it couldn't hurt to ask.

Has anybody else had a burning rubber smell coming from the heater vents? I don't smell anything under the hood, and even when driving don't smell much of anything. Soon as I kick on the heater vents I get a strong burning rubber smell.

I have done a quick inspection under the hood to mak esure no belts/hoses are rubbing or burning and don't see anything. Other than that what else could I look for???

Thanks in advance...

LMFD296 03-16-2010 10:47 PM

I'm actually getting an almost electrical burning smell in my 2002. i cant pinpoint it though and its making me worry.

Marine One 03-17-2010 12:11 AM

Originally Posted by jbauch357 (Post 1558971580)
I know this is a complete shot in the dark, but figured it couldn't hurt to ask.

Has anybody else had a burning rubber smell coming from the heater vents? I don't smell anything under the hood, and even when driving don't smell much of anything. Soon as I kick on the heater vents I get a strong burning rubber smell.

I have done a quick inspection under the hood to mak esure no belts/hoses are rubbing or burning and don't see anything. Other than that what else could I look for???

Thanks in advance...

I have the same issue. I just picked the car up on Saturday and didn't notice the smell on the 3 hour drive home, but did notice it the following day. It wasn't there yesterday but was back again today. I've also checked under the hood, looking for something touching something it's not supposed to but everything seems in order and the smell doesn't seem to be under the hood? :confused:

Texan1Z06 03-17-2010 12:45 AM

If not an auto, burning clutch smell?

Marine One 03-18-2010 12:29 AM

Originally Posted by Texan1Z06 (Post 1573447137)
If not an auto, burning clutch smell?

Manual but it is definitely not a clutch smell.

SilverC6 12-20-2011 12:00 AM

Burning smell from the heat vent

Originally Posted by Marine One (Post 1573459301)
Manual but it is definitely not a clutch smell.

I was just at the track yesterday, and smelled a burning scent from the heating vents. I think it may be the dust/ rubber particles I collected on the track. My car runs fine and there are no apparent signs of damage. Any clues?

LS2NSUV 12-20-2011 12:15 AM

Possibly your heater core could be beginning to fail. But typically when they fail you'll see a residue/film on the W/S when on the defrost setting.

4SFED Z 12-20-2011 05:46 AM

I'm saying you have a wire burning. Check around headers and alternator

Cybermind 12-20-2011 07:08 AM

I had the same smell and could not track down the source. One day while I was changing the oil, I discovered that the drivers side O2 sensor wiring touching the manifold pipe underneath the car. Only the sheathing was a little melted but the wires were still intact. I simply zip tied it out of the way. Problem solved.