CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C4 ZR-1 Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c4-zr-1-discussion-50/)
-   -   Joining Zee Club (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c4-zr-1-discussion/1622708-joining-zee-club.html)

ZR1North 02-12-2007 06:23 PM

Joining Zee Club

Hi Folks,

After years of thinking and searching, I finally purchased a ZR1 (1991 - "arrest me RED") last month. I am anxiously awaiting the arrival of Spring as I know many of you are.

The car has just over 22k miles and it is very obvious that it was extremely well looked after. Several of the "known" ZR1 problems have been addressed (PROM; Chain Tensioner; Oil Cooler Lines; Throw Out Bearing and Pilot Bushing), so I am hopeful that I will enjoy some quality seat time before having to delve into serious repairs. I have to admit that reading the Registery and some of your comments here in the Forum, I am not looking forward to having to deal with the vacuum/secondary/FI issues. Is it only a matter of time, or have some of you gone 75K plus without experiencing any of these demons? It is comforting to know that should I have any problems, we have a great network here to share info - thanks for the comfort!

Couple of specific questions to start with if I may. Is there any one particular Service Manual that is better than "the rest"? Second question is for "Brother WYCKD14U" (kool handle) - I notice that you live in Oakville, Ont. I am a couple hundred kilometers down the 401 from you; is there a reputable ZR1 Tech in the Greater Toronto Area (Corvette Concepts in Concord is listed on the Registery, but can't find a Web Site).

Thanks all!

Crabs 02-12-2007 06:55 PM

Hi Folks,

After years of thinking and searching, I finally purchased a ZR1 (1991 - "arrest me RED") last month. I am anxiously awaiting the arrival of Spring as I know many of you are.
Welome to the Monkey House, pull up a rock and light up a beer!!
:cheers:

The car has just over 22k miles and it is very obvious that it was extremely well looked after. Several of the "known" ZR1 problems have been addressed (PROM; Chain Tensioner; Oil Cooler Lines; Throw Out Bearing and Pilot Bushing), so I am hopeful that I will enjoy some quality seat time before having to delve into serious repairs. I have to admit that reading the Registery and some of your comments here in the Forum, I am not looking forward to having to deal with the vacuum/secondary/FI issues. Is it only a matter of time, or have some of you gone 75K plus without experiencing any of these demons? It is comforting to know that should I have any problems, we have a great network here to share info - thanks for the comfort!
It seems that us owners of 90 & 91's have to deal with the fuel injector issues much more so than the owners of the later years. There was change in '92 and those injectors are less susceptible to coil damage caused by ethanol in gasoline. That being said, there are some '90s & 91's with tons of miles on them still going strong with the original injectors.
You'll know it if yours go bad.
Put good gas in her and treat her with the dignity and respect that she deserves and she'll give you as many trouble free miles as she can.

Couple of specific questions to start with if I may. Is there any one particular Service Manual that is better than "the rest"?
Helms manuals, go here:
http://tinyurl.com/2dtkcs
There are none better.

Again, welcome to the Brotherhood of the Beast!
Send pics!

TomC
'90ZR1 #792

terrydennis 02-12-2007 07:03 PM

Congrats.:thumbs:
I agree on the Helms manual.

WydGlydJim 02-12-2007 07:23 PM

Congrats! I have a '90 that I have put 10k mileage on since purchasing a couple of years ago the car has 47k on it, with no drivability issues at all.
:thumbs: :thumbs:
Don't worry, just drive it like you stole it! The LT5 will love you for it! I have both helms manuals. Regular C-4, with the LT-5 supplement
:yesnod:

Peaven 02-12-2007 07:29 PM

Congrats, welcome to the `hood...another Canuck joins the fray, crack open a Molson Ice.:cheers:

ittlfly 02-12-2007 08:20 PM

Congrats on the new Z. :cheers: There's a lot of knowledge here and a great bunch of guys.
That's good advise about driving the heck out of your car. Don't ask me how I know.:ack:

ZR1North 02-12-2007 10:00 PM

Joining Zee Club

Thanks guys. Appreciate the advice. Will certainly post pictures when the baby arrives - still awaiting delivery from Mass.

Bob L.

Rex Ruby 02-12-2007 10:05 PM

Welcome :thumbs:

kevincott 02-12-2007 10:23 PM

Just clicked on the Helms link.

Looks like I overpaid for my service manuals........

about $40.

Also cost me another $40 for the binder.

No binder was included, and it needed a 5 inch.

Meanmyz 02-12-2007 10:53 PM

Congrats on the new Z.

Was this the car at Corvette Mikes "New England". If so, it looks like a real sweet car.

ZR1North 02-13-2007 07:28 PM

Joining Zee Club

That's the one, meanmyz1 - sweet it is. Previous (and original) owner traded it at Corvette Mike's on a C6 Rag.

Thanks for the advice on the service manual guys. It's now on order!

Goldcylon 02-13-2007 11:11 PM

Welcome aboard! :cheers:

tomtom72 02-14-2007 08:23 AM

Welcome to the zoo! Yes good move on the Helm set. You will not regret the $ spent. I'm starting to loose count on how many times my Helm set has solved issues for me!

Great looking car!:thumbs: You will enjoy it for a long time! These cars can cure a bad day!
:cheers:

RiceEatingZR1 02-14-2007 09:21 AM

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...totheparty.jpg

Congrats!:thumbs: :cheers:

ckulchar 02-14-2007 01:50 PM

Congrats on your purchase. There's a number of crazy guys on this site.:cheers:

zr1fred 02-15-2007 03:20 PM

:thumbs: Congrats! Okay, now try to stop grinning! Betcha can't!:thumbs:

LeoLily 02-16-2007 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by ckulchar (Post 1558957770)
Congrats on your purchase. There's a number of crazy guys on this site.:cheers:

And women! Welcome aboard and enjoy! Be sure and check out the ZR-1 Net Registry http://www.zr1netregistry.com/ for some additional valuable info! :yesnod:

94ZR1 02-16-2007 05:05 PM

Welcome:thumbs:
There is no cure

Go ahead and fill out your profile