CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-zr1-and-z06-136/)
-   -   [Z06] What Happens When You Get Caught Doing 150 MPH? (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-zr1-and-z06/1509143-what-happens-when-you-get-caught-doing-150-mph.html)

AzDave47 10-07-2019 04:52 PM

Originally Posted by Speedracer42 (Post 1600277745)
Annnnd of couse I am going to be out of town that weekend to see family. Shit! Do you know if there is a website where someone posts these types of events? The only other one somewhat in the area I know of is the Airstrip Attack event at Coalinga. But it would be awesome to be able to look in one place where this stuff is posted.

Just check their web site from time to time. They usually run 3 over the fall/winter period in CA and 3 more in Gila Bend AZ.

VetteVinnie 10-07-2019 05:20 PM

Funny (or not), my brother-in-law was bragging about his nephew's new-to-him Nissan GTR a few weeks ago, and I told him I could take him with the ZR1. Well, he apparently tried to practice because this showed up in the news this morning: https://www.boston.com/news/local-ne...eeding-136-mph

Doh! Wasn't 150, but still relevant to the discussion. Glad I wasn't in Boston at the time. :willy:

Speedracer42 10-07-2019 06:08 PM

Originally Posted by AzDave47 (Post 1600278508)
Just check their web site from time to time. They usually run 3 over the fall/winter period in CA and 3 more in Gila Bend AZ.

I meant more specifically a collection of ALL of these types of events. If there isn't a website out there for that, someone needs to jump on it. But I will keep an eye on their website for sure.

Crikk 10-07-2019 06:45 PM

Originally Posted by mayracn (Post 1599868998)
181 and it wasnt good. Charged me with double felonies so at least 1 would stick. multiple tickets. Revoked license. I had a perfect record so i didnt do any jail time other then the night waiting to bond out. They wanted a year in jail. Paid about 7k in fines. 5k to my attorney and 60 hrs community service. The felony sucks to have. This was in Illinois in 99. Laws have changed since then.

being from Illinois, this makes me queasy!

Crikk 10-07-2019 06:47 PM

Originally Posted by mayracn (Post 1599872980)
Lol young and dumb. The videos of 2 state troopers that went to chase are funny as hell. I disappeared and cops radio not a chance on this one. Off duty that heard description is how I got nailed. Miles away to. Rest is history.

wait so you are saying they didn’t catch you while in the act? What happened, please tell.

GMJim 10-07-2019 07:53 PM

Getting busted by LEO and paying a fine is the least of your worries. Pay the fine do a little time and it's over. Now your insurance company gets to stick it to you for the next few years. In the end it costs much more!

Unreal 10-07-2019 10:15 PM

Happened to me twice when younger. 168mph in a 65, and 152 in a 55mph. First time cop and I chatted for about 15 minutes, then he let me go without even running my license. Super cool cop.

2nd time got ticked for "only" 80 over, and wreckless. Went to court and met with DA, he said he doesn't have time to mess with this junk, so said how about $400 and a 90 day monitoring, if I don't get any other tickets in 90 days it all disappears off my record.

So in my experience it varies wildly and depends heavily on the situation and officers.

Premiumspeed 10-08-2019 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by EViL427 (Post 1600261387)
Interesting reading back through 13 years of stories. After looking at Texas laws, it's no mystery some of the fastest street cars in the nation are out here. No felonies unless you kill someone, no arrest and impound, just points and big fines (unless you're in a school zone or caught street racing).

When I first got to Texas, even street racing was considered a traffic violation, but thanks to Fast & Furious movies, it all changed in 2003:
  1. Participating in a street race in Texas is now considered a Class B misdemeanor, punishable with a fine of up to $2,000, and/or up to 180 days in jail. Driver’s license will be suspended for up to one year, and driver will also be required to complete 10 hours of community service.
  2. Second highway racing conviction is a Class A misdemeanor, carrying up to $4,000 in potential fines and up to 1 year in jail.
  3. Third street racing offense is a felony, punishable by a $10,000 fine and up to 2 years in state jail.
The only time I ever got caught doing triple digits the officer couldn't write me for anything over 95+ because he was in a Chevy Tahoe that topped out at 95. I saw the lights and pulled over. I was probably doing 120-ish. And the fastest I've been without getting caught (knock on wood) was 183 MPH on a brand new stretch of toll road that didn't have any traffic yet to speak of. It was the same stretch where Hennessy did his 200+ MPH run in a C7. That was in my 2008 Z06 after I had all of the ZR1 aero, Bilstein shocks, and rebuilt engine installed. That sucker was still pulling hard when I shut it down. Exhilarating!

Fastest I've had this ZR1 so far was about 143 on the same stretch of toll road. I won't play when there's traffic around.

Stay safe out there! :cheers:

I remember in the 90's street racing all night long off of Rankin Road and Brittmoore Circle, the cops would just drive by and chase us off like it was no big deal. People had full blown trailer cars and the likes. After F&F and that crazy car show bust at the HEB on Westheimer, everything got way more strict and out of hand, i still blame all the import guys, but i think everyone had a part of it.

Texas in general is pretty lax, but i can tell you Harris County is not. They can impound your vehicle and jail you for any contest of speed. I live on the beltway in an area where a lot of street racers do freeway roll races late at night on the weekends. I can hear them racing from my house every weekend if i'm up after 2am. The local HPD guys always hang out at a certain gas station that i drive by all the time; i've come to know a couple of them pretty well. They arrest 5-10 people every friday/saturday night; no excuses, car impound and straight to jail. We do have a problem with street racing in this area, so i guess i understand. Police officers have flexibility in what they can charge you with, even how they process the charge, they don't follow the law word for word. So i think so people can get lucky.

Worst ticket i've received was 95 in a 55 about 18 years ago in my 1993 Lx Coupe Mustang. About 10 years ago i was driving my girlfriend's SL550 AMG Merc with the top down going about 120-130 down the grand parkway near Katy, came over an overpass and there was a trooper on the shoulder; i stood on the brake pedal but it was too late. He pulled me over and by some dumb luck he didn't get my speed! He said i was doing at least 90... i was like, no problem sir. About a minute later he says he has a shots fired call in cinco ranch and let me go. Crazy luck i guess.

I've been 185 in my 2011 C6Z on I-10 late at night. The part that was crazy was how hard the LS7 was still pulling once i hit 185 in 5th gear. It had more in it.