CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-zr1-and-z06-136/)
-   -   [Z06] What Happens When You Get Caught Doing 150 MPH? (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-zr1-and-z06/1509143-what-happens-when-you-get-caught-doing-150-mph.html)

Jimmy Z 10-01-2019 07:57 PM

Originally Posted by BlackHawk#36 (Post 1557057590)
Here in California, anything over 100mph is considered a felony. Don't know about GA though.

Georgia is the same anything over triple digits..jail,tow, multiple tickets

Sleazy Rider 10-01-2019 08:42 PM

Originally Posted by Z Sarge (Post 1557061875)
Go Ahead Run......You may outrun the cruiser....But I'll bet you won't outrun Motorola...........:toetap:

well, back in 73 or 74 i was living in n. st. louis county after i got out of the marine corps and found a sweet looking hunney who was living in the bethalto, il area. one night i was flying low along the flats between the missouri and mississippi rivers and passed a mo state trooper coming out of a gas station and immediately lit the lights. i was just in a mood not to put up with his bs so i put the pedal to the metal, which in this case was a 68 convertible with a warmed over 350 in it. as i saw those red lights fade away i felt pretty good until i hit the bridge going over the mississippi river. now this 'old' bridge wasn't like a normal bridge, it had a right turn, approx 45* in the middle of it so i had to slow down because now it was just 2 lanes. as i was coming off the bridge into the state of illinois, 2 illinois state troopers were just pulling up to block the road and made me pull into a motel parking lot until the missouri state trooper showed up. they let the missouri trooper write me up, which was a bunch of tickets. one was for doing 120+ as that was as high as their radar went. the only problem was, missouri wrote me up in illinois. then they threw me in the alton, il jail and i had to find a friend to bail me out, which wasn't the first or last time in my life. did the usual, got an attorney and went to court in st. charles county, mo. when we got to the court house the attorney told me to sit on a bench outside of the courtroom and i can still hear that trooper, trooper hamilton, yelling about how that was the worst case of driving he had seen in his 25 years on the force. my case was thrown out on the technicality the a trooper from missouri wrote a ticket in another state.
shortly after that, the pursuit laws were changed.
didn't do that again, EVER!

449er 10-02-2019 07:37 AM

Originally Posted by levrac68 (Post 1557059190)
What Happens When You Get Caught Doing 150 MPH?

You get a good lawyer. :cheers:

Lol! Good advice cause your gonna need one

AzDave47 10-02-2019 09:53 AM

Just to add some fun to this thread, you do know that Cruise Control on C6's only works properly up to 157 right? Above that if you try to set cruise control it just keeps climbing.

They fixed that problem on C7s, at least to some higher number.

I have probably over 700 miles on cruise control at or above 150 in my HCI Z06.

Duke107 10-02-2019 11:07 PM

From Toronto regional Police

"Likening speed shops that make street racers to bomb factories or illegal drug labs, Attorney General Michael Bryant warns "juiced-up" cars could be seized and destroyed before even hitting the road.""Just on the balance of probabilities if we can establish that a car is being used for the unlawful purpose of street racing, we will seize it and you will never see it again.

"We will crush your car, we will crush the parts."

LV Vette 10-03-2019 01:17 AM

Originally Posted by levrac68 (Post 1557059190)
What Happens When You Get Caught Doing 150 MPH?

You get a good lawyer. :cheers:

You should get your head examined for going that fast on public roads. I lost a good friend when I was a teenager from someone who was driving at a ridiculous speed. Unfortunately, my friend, his girlfriend and his uncle were killed, and the speeder survived!

LVV

Keppler 10-03-2019 09:19 PM

No kill stories
I have one.

Don't do it.

VetteVinnie 10-04-2019 09:44 AM

Interesting reading back through 13 years of stories. After looking at Texas laws, it's no mystery some of the fastest street cars in the nation are out here. No felonies unless you kill someone, no arrest and impound, just points and big fines (unless you're in a school zone or caught street racing).

When I first got to Texas, even street racing was considered a traffic violation, but thanks to Fast & Furious movies, it all changed in 2003:
  1. Participating in a street race in Texas is now considered a Class B misdemeanor, punishable with a fine of up to $2,000, and/or up to 180 days in jail. Driver’s license will be suspended for up to one year, and driver will also be required to complete 10 hours of community service.
  2. Second highway racing conviction is a Class A misdemeanor, carrying up to $4,000 in potential fines and up to 1 year in jail.
  3. Third street racing offense is a felony, punishable by a $10,000 fine and up to 2 years in state jail.
The only time I ever got caught doing triple digits the officer couldn't write me for anything over 95+ because he was in a Chevy Tahoe that topped out at 95. I saw the lights and pulled over. I was probably doing 120-ish. And the fastest I've been without getting caught (knock on wood) was 183 MPH on a brand new stretch of toll road that didn't have any traffic yet to speak of. It was the same stretch where Hennessy did his 200+ MPH run in a C7. That was in my 2008 Z06 after I had all of the ZR1 aero, Bilstein shocks, and rebuilt engine installed. That sucker was still pulling hard when I shut it down. Exhilarating!

Fastest I've had this ZR1 so far was about 143 on the same stretch of toll road. I won't play when there's traffic around.

Stay safe out there! :cheers:

CJ Willys 10-04-2019 10:03 AM

It depends what tax bracket you're in ...

phils C5 vette 10-04-2019 08:03 PM

I think "street racing" ( assuming there's another car involved to race against) is differant than just doing 150MPH by yourself.

correct me?

AzDave47 10-04-2019 08:29 PM

Originally Posted by phils C5 vette (Post 1600264865)
I think "street racing" ( assuming there's another car involved to race against) is differant than just doing 150MPH by yourself.

correct me?

not if you lose control and take out an innocent bystander. You may think you are in control, until a coyote, armadillo, or dog runs out in front of you and you swerve to avoid it or just plow into it and the broken suspension sends you across the road.

Especially now there are quite a few organized venues where you can legally go well above 100 mph without endangering anyone not involved with the event. Yes, it may cost a couple hundred bucks, but at least you are doing it in a responsible manner. Many on this forum have run 150-200+ in these organized events.

Speedracer42 10-05-2019 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by AzDave47 (Post 1600265041)
not if you lose control and take out an innocent bystander. You may think you are in control, until a coyote, armadillo, or dog runs out in front of you and you swerve to avoid it or just plow into it and the broken suspension sends you across the road.

Especially now there are quite a few organized venues where you can legally go well above 100 mph without endangering anyone not involved with the event. Yes, it may cost a couple hundred bucks, but at least you are doing it in a responsible manner. Many on this forum have run 150-200+ in these organized events.

These are good points. I road raced motorcycles for years. And we would also go rip the back roads at really stupid speeds. Full safety gear, but you just never know. One time we were up on Mt. St Helens, 5 of us riding literally nose to tail, all racers and solid riders. The second bike took a rock to the radiator and it started to leak and heat up immediately. As soon as we slowed and came around this blind right sweeper in the middle of nowhere there was a fucking genius doing a 1mph u turn totally broadside in the road. If we hadn't slowed multiple people would have died. Thats the kind of shit to think about when on the road. I would love to do some 1/2 and 1 mile shootouts, but unfortunately there isn't much that happens close to San Diego. But trying it on the road could easily end in disaster. Or at least more easily than at the track.

AzDave47 10-05-2019 08:40 PM

Originally Posted by Speedracer42 (Post 1600268072)
These are good points. I road raced motorcycles for years. And we would also go rip the back roads at really stupid speeds. Full safety gear, but you just never know. One time we were up on Mt. St Helens, 5 of us riding literally nose to tail, all racers and solid riders. The second bike took a rock to the radiator and it started to leak and heat up immediately. As soon as we slowed and came around this blind right sweeper in the middle of nowhere there was a fucking genius doing a 1mph u turn totally broadside in the road. If we hadn't slowed multiple people would have died. Thats the kind of shit to think about when on the road. I would love to do some 1/2 and 1 mile shootouts, but unfortunately there isn't much that happens close to San Diego. But trying it on the road could easily end in disaster. Or at least more easily than at the track.

I don't know how close this is to you but they are a good group to run with:

https://www.omegamotorsport.com/copy...one-california

Speedracer42 10-05-2019 09:17 PM

Originally Posted by AzDave47 (Post 1600269590)

Oh man this looks perfect. Its 225 miles away which I feel is a bit of a stretch to go wring my cars neck without having a trailer on standby. Oddly the registration link says TBD which for an event only a month away seems odd

phils C5 vette 10-05-2019 09:25 PM

Originally Posted by AzDave47 (Post 1600265041)
not if you lose control and take out an innocent bystander. You may think you are in control, until a coyote, armadillo, or dog runs out in front of you and you swerve to avoid it or just plow into it and the broken suspension sends you across the road..

Thanks dad, but you missed my point.
I was talking definition wise between street racing with another car, or just speeding on an on ramp
( which apparently sitting on high cotton, you've never gone over the speed limit).

AzDave47 10-05-2019 11:02 PM

Originally Posted by phils C5 vette (Post 1600269784)
Thanks dad, but you missed my point.
I was talking definition wise between street racing with another car, or just speeding on an on ramp
( which apparently sitting on high cotton, you've never gone over the speed limit).

Right, in the past month I was .043 MPH behind a C7ZR1 in the 1/2 mile trap (at an 8000' with a NA C6 Z06) and we were 7-9 MPH faster than the 3-7 place cars which included C7 Z06, C6 ZR1, Acura NSA, all FI cars. Oh and last year I broke 200 MPH at Mohave. and I have over 700 miles above 150 - on cruise control. Have you done any real speed lately? Safely?

I won't be 72 for another couple of weeks.

VetteVinnie 10-06-2019 09:03 AM

Originally Posted by AzDave47 (Post 1600270138)
Right, in the past month I was .043 MPH behind a C7ZR1 in the 1/2 mile trap (at an 8000' with a NA C6 Z06) and we were 7-9 MPH faster than the 3-7 place cars which included C7 Z06, C6 ZR1, Acura NSA, all FI cars. Oh and last year I broke 200 MPH at Mohave. and I have over 700 miles above 150 - on cruise control. Have you done any real speed lately? Safely?

I won't be 72 for another couple of weeks.

Just curious, but where do you run 700 miles above 150 on cruise control safely and legally? Because I want some of that! :)

AzDave47 10-06-2019 04:32 PM

Originally Posted by EViL427 (Post 1600271100)
Just curious, but where do you run 700 miles above 150 on cruise control safely and legally? Because I want some of that! :)

Check out: https://www.sscc.us/

They run 90 mile events on NV Hwy 318 in the fall and two way events in the spring. Without other organized open road racing experience you would need to run the Touring Division - 95 to 110 classes (max 124 mph) successfully, then one in the Grand Touring Division, 115 to 125 mph classes (max 140 MPH) successfully before moving up to the Grand Sport division, 130 to 155 mph classes (max 165 mph). Safety equipment needs to be upgraded as you move to the next higher division. The Unlimited class record for the 90 miles is 219.6 MPH. A former Unlimited record holder crossed the finish line at 252 MPH. Most unlimited cars are modified NASCAR Cup cars.

Other than the 2 1/2 mile stretch called the Narrows, you can take any of the corners at 150 without pulling more than 0.5Gs, thus about 70+ miles can be run on cruise control (C6s cruise control only works properly to 157 as at 158 and above it will not hold speed but just keep accelerating). The 700 miles at 150 comes from accumulating the 70 mile chunks, not one shot. This is a timed event, you are trying to hit the target time exactly. Last month running solo and using just a stop watch and mile markers in the 150 class I missed by 0.53 seconds and was 7th of 10 in class. It is common to need to be within 0.1 seconds to get a podium finish in the 150 class. My best, hand-timed result was a 2nd with a time variance of 0.0146 seconds.

There are also open road events in Nebraska (Sand Hills) and in Texas (Big Bend). I have not run those but understand the roads are more twisty.

VetteVinnie 10-07-2019 12:31 AM

Originally Posted by AzDave47 (Post 1600273093)
Check out: https://www.sscc.us/

They run 90 mile events on NV Hwy 318 in the fall and two way events in the spring. Without other organized open road racing experience you would need to run the Touring Division - 95 to 110 classes (max 124 mph) successfully, then one in the Grand Touring Division, 115 to 125 mph classes (max 140 MPH) successfully before moving up to the Grand Sport division, 130 to 155 mph classes (max 165 mph). Safety equipment needs to be upgraded as you move to the next higher division. The Unlimited class record for the 90 miles is 219.6 MPH. A former Unlimited record holder crossed the finish line at 252 MPH. Most unlimited cars are modified NASCAR Cup cars.

Other than the 2 1/2 mile stretch called the Narrows, you can take any of the corners at 150 without pulling more than 0.5Gs, thus about 70+ miles can be run on cruise control (C6s cruise control only works properly to 157 as at 158 and above it will not hold speed but just keep accelerating). The 700 miles at 150 comes from accumulating the 70 mile chunks, not one shot. This is a timed event, you are trying to hit the target time exactly. Last month running solo and using just a stop watch and mile markers in the 150 class I missed by 0.53 seconds and was 7th of 10 in class. It is common to need to be within 0.1 seconds to get a podium finish in the 150 class. My best, hand-timed result was a 2nd with a time variance of 0.0146 seconds.

There are also open road events in Nebraska (Sand Hills) and in Texas (Big Bend). I have not run those but understand the roads are more twisty.

Ah, yes. I had read about this before. Thanks for sharing! :cheers:

Speedracer42 10-07-2019 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by AzDave47 (Post 1600269590)

Annnnd of couse I am going to be out of town that weekend to see family. Shit! Do you know if there is a website where someone posts these types of events? The only other one somewhat in the area I know of is the Airstrip Attack event at Coalinga. But it would be awesome to be able to look in one place where this stuff is posted.