CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C6 Tech/Performance (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-tech-performance-101/)
-   -   Determine rear end gear ratio with th vin # (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-tech-performance/1507441-determine-rear-end-gear-ratio-with-th-vin.html)

boogieman 09-24-2006 02:38 PM

Determine rear end gear ratio with th vin #

Is it possible to determine the rear end gear ratio with the last numbers of the Vin # 11552126 ? The is no tag on the rear indicating what it is...so i don't know if it is a 2 or 3 series carrier

GMautotech 09-24-2006 03:12 PM

Is that VIN supposed to be from your Vette (and the last 8 digits)? That VIN is no good in GM's system.

calemasters 09-25-2006 01:51 AM

Originally Posted by jerrymuniz
Is it possible to determine the rear end gear ratio with the last numbers of the Vin # 11552126 ? The is no tag on the rear indicating what it is...so i don't know if it is a 2 or 3 series carrier

If the correct VIN is 1G1YY24U055112126

the car was built with the RPO GU2 - REAR AXLE 2.73 RATIO

LS1LT1 09-25-2006 02:52 AM

Jerry if I recall, your car originally had 2.73s (now 3.73s) didn't it?
Are you just trying to determine if you still have the 2 series carrier (housing new gears) or is this for someone else's car?

aero400 09-25-2006 11:00 AM

Just realized - becaues the C6 has an enclosed torque tube, one cannot simply jack up the rear of the car, spin the rear tires and count the # of revolutions of the driveshaft. So that does make it hard to figure out what the ratio is without having a VIN or other codes.

IS there a way to figure out the ratio without a VIN or other coding?

LS1LT1 09-25-2006 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by aero400
Just realized - becaues the C6 has an enclosed torque tube, one cannot simply jack up the rear of the car, spin the rear tires and count the # of revolutions of the driveshaft. So that does make it hard to figure out what the ratio is without having a VIN or other codes.
IS there a way to figure out the ratio without a VIN or other coding?

Even with the torque tube one should still be able to spin it in neutral with the wheels up I think.
And of course just checking the codes (GU2, G92 etc.) on the little sticker inside the vehicle determines a lot as well.

Michrider 09-25-2006 02:41 PM

You could do a mph/rpm calculator. See what the RPMS are at 70 in the direct drive gear. 3rd in autos 4th in sticks. And what the tire size is. There are some websites with RPM calculators that you could punch in the different ratios and tire size and it will give you RPMs for those gears.

aero400 09-25-2006 02:58 PM

Originally Posted by LS1LT1
Even with the torque tube one should still be able to spin it in neutral with the wheels up I think.

Yes, you can spin the wheels, but you cannot see the rotating driveshaft to determine how many driveshaft revolutions per wheel revolution (or vise versa).

Originally Posted by Michrider
You could do a mph/rpm calculator. See what the RPMS are at 70 in the direct drive gear. 3rd in autos 4th in sticks. And what the tire size is. There are some websites with RPM calculators that you could punch in the different ratios and tire size and it will give you RPMs for those gears.

Good idea. But I've found that doing such measurements and calculations, for whatever reason, never yields super accurate results. It might be hard to determine with certainty between say a 3.23 and a 3.42. However, if one is merely trying to distinguish between a 2.73 and a 3.42, that method would do the trick of course. Good info - thanks.

LS1LT1 09-25-2006 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by aero400
Yes, you can spin the wheels, but you cannot see the rotating driveshaft to determine how many driveshaft revolutions per wheel revolution (or vise versa).

Oh true, I see what you were saying now.

boogieman 09-25-2006 06:21 PM

That is correct, I now have 3:73s. I purchased a spare C6 automatic transmission and the guy threw in the rear end. Usaully the rear has a tag, this one did not so I am trying to find out if its a 3 series carrier.

Thanks for the replies .......I guess its a 2 series which is really worthless to me. If anyone needs it let me know, make me an offer.

Originally Posted by LS1LT1
Jerry if I recall, your car originally had 2.73s (now 3.73s) didn't it?
Are you just trying to determine if you still have the 2 series carrier (housing new gears) or is this for someone else's car?

UDRIVESLOW 09-27-2006 04:12 PM

ratio

find your rpo code sticker.........:flag: