CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C3 Tech/Performance (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c3-tech-performance-3/)
-   -   Window Adjustments on a 1981 (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c3-tech-performance/1504095-window-adjustments-on-a-1981-a.html)

MN81C3 09-20-2006 11:33 AM

Window Adjustments on a 1981

The driver side window on my 81 does not go up far enough. The front edge will not seal - I can see daylight between the seal and the window while the back edge is close but not tight. I’ve had the panel off three times, trying to adjust it and can get it close but not to the point of sealing. I have been using Clinton’s diagram, similar to the June post about a 1980 with a similar problem. The stop (B) on the front track is all the way to the top, the back track is about a 1/8 inch from the top. The tiling adjustment bolts (A) are at the bottom of the angled slots and if I attempt to move them up, the back of the window comes up while the front edge lowers. My last attempt was to add shims to the weather stripping on the T-Tops – it helped but still no joy. All the Cabin Weather stripping was replaced by the previous owner. Anyone have an idea – I’m Stomped.

gyopp 09-20-2006 01:41 PM

I fought the same thing and got it close enough that I am not worried about it because I never intend to drive my car in the rain. Anyway, after days of fooling with it and more days sitting on a stool starring at it I have convinced myself that the windshield frame has been sprung down slightly which makes the front of the window contact tightly before the front of the top glass edge is high enough to seal. But then again, maybe it was always this way.

IrishJoker 09-20-2006 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by MN81C3
The driver side window on my 81 does not go up far enough. The front edge will not seal - I can see daylight between the seal and the window while the back edge is close but not tight. I’ve had the panel off three times, trying to adjust it and can get it close but not to the point of sealing. I have been using Clinton’s diagram, similar to the June post about a 1980 with a similar problem. The stop (B) on the front track is all the way to the top, the back track is about a 1/8 inch from the top. The tiling adjustment bolts (A) are at the bottom of the angled slots and if I attempt to move them up, the back of the window comes up while the front edge lowers. My last attempt was to add shims to the weather stripping on the T-Tops – it helped but still no joy. All the Cabin Weather stripping was replaced by the previous owner. Anyone have an idea – I’m Stomped.

You could also have a bent window regulator. I replaced the weather stripping on mine and found the passenger window would no longer run up correctly. Went to adjust the window and discovered the regualtor arms are bowed.

MN81C3 09-20-2006 02:32 PM

You may be right about the regulators. I think I may just leave good enough alone. Although up here in Minnesota, with nice cool fall days, it would be nice to eliminate the whistle from the small gap. I agree - it won't see rain if I can help it.