CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C1 & C2 Corvettes (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c1-and-c2-corvettes-4/)
-   -   Overhaulin (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c1-and-c2-corvettes/1501407-overhaulin.html)

Troy.Blackburn 09-21-2006 11:19 PM

Originally Posted by jonglazer
I tend not to watch Overhaulin anymore (along with American Hotrod) - too much of a focus on the drama, not enough focus on the cars and how problems are solved.

I still watch both, however I'm loosing interest in American Hot Rod fast. I agree... too much focus on drama with both shows, however American Hot Rod seems that the drama is always about infighting an "impossible" deadlines. If the show is any reflection of how it really is to work for Boyd, then that would be a miserable place to work. And based on the people that used to work for Boyd and went to Chip.....

Troy

comp 09-22-2006 12:39 AM

So did in see the right show ???????

Plastic Pig 09-22-2006 12:47 AM

Originally Posted by comp
So did in see the right show ???????

I see don't know I ?????

ctjackster 09-22-2006 09:18 AM

Originally Posted by Troy.Blackburn
:ack: I'm not suggesting your opinion is any less valuable than anyone else... I however am glad that Courtney is gone. Now I just wish she would leave the Spike TV Powerblock. Just my .02

Troy

as for me, I can't stand the fake drama on these shows (is the "deadline fast approaching" plot line ever going away from these restoration dramas?) and as for Overhaulin, the time spent on the "your car got stolen" bit is a major waste.

Courtney was the only reason I would watch this fake drama )ok, when they do a vette I tune in too), and she was a pretty cool chick at that, she was raised around these cars, her dad raced SCCA and her family had some ownership with Brainerd. Now that she is gone I don't even stop on the show when clickin through . . .

http://www.courtneyhansen.com/images/FHMlg2.jpg

SebringBill 09-22-2006 11:20 PM

The original pictures (and before and after shots) show no rear exhaust outlets in the body; they were probably closed up years ago when Dad was racing. I thought it was pretty nifty for Chip to take that 57 rear and throw a lot of 53-5 in it. Same with the front. The color combo looked spectacular to me (even if the white/silver was the original combo of my 57!). I was also curious as to why the 3x2 setup morphed into a 2x4 and (since I taped it) stopped the tape to show my wife that a "57" chassis with a 6-banger didn't sound right to me. My theory is the spare chassis was a 54 and that's possibly where some of Chip's ideas and parts came from.

I like Chip's work. "American Hot Rod" is a study in complaints and pissin and moanin; I'd never even take YOUR rusty bumpers to Boyd's shop! :eek:

Mark_Milner 09-23-2006 01:11 AM

Originally Posted by Jim Dillon
Also when people go out to my home-shop to see what I am working on my wife likes to point out how ungodly slow my progress is especially when compared to "Overhaulin". I gave up trying to explain to her that with the large crew and the man hours that those guys are logging, I am getting my work done in a reasonable time with a lot less drama.-Jim

I second that! I also like to remind the other half that when she is complaining it takes six weeks for me to do one thing that I got to work 1 hour every two weeks on it.

If I got 40 hours a week, it would be a lot faster. Maybe.

I took a few vacation days once on a car to get a bunch done. I bet I was lucky to get 5 hours of work in on it in three days. Amazing how "other things" kept coming up.

Johns_65Vette 09-23-2006 09:01 AM

Originally Posted by Mark_Milner
I took a few vacation days once on a car to get a bunch done. I bet I was lucky to get 5 hours of work in on it in three days. Amazing how "other things" kept coming up.

:iagree: Well, honey since your off could you do this for me......:rolleyes:

kenmo 09-23-2006 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by ctjackster
as for me, I can't stand the fake drama on these shows (is the "deadline fast approaching" plot line ever going away from these restoration dramas?) and as for Overhaulin, the time spent on the "your car got stolen" bit is a major waste.

Courtney was the only reason I would watch this fake drama )ok, when they do a vette I tune in too), and she was a pretty cool chick at that, she was raised around these cars, her dad raced SCCA and her family had some ownership with Brainerd. Now that she is gone I don't even stop on the show when clickin through . . .

http://www.courtneyhansen.com/images/FHMlg2.jpg

Wowzer....!!!!

Johns_65Vette 09-23-2006 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by kenmo

UH HUH!!!! Kinda makes me wanna http://www.websmileys.com/sm/animal/1134.gif:rofl: :rofl:

comp 09-23-2006 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by Johns_65Vette
UH HUH!!!! Kinda makes me wanna http://www.websmileys.com/sm/animal/1134.gif:rofl: :rofl:

:yesnod:

comp 09-23-2006 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by Duntov-097
I see don't know I ?????

:lol: :lol:

bogus 09-25-2006 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by jonglazer
I liked the end product - thought the color was very sharp.

I tend not to watch Overhaulin anymore (along with American Hotrod) - too much of a focus on the drama, not enough focus on the cars and how problems are solved.

TLC - seems like the Learning aspect is taking a back seat.

- Jon

I just watched the episode... I agree, the Learning part has been regulated to the back seat.

I enjoy the show enough, but they are constantly marketing the show throughout with these inane little quotes "you are about to be overhauled" or "this is for you, _____!" It's ignorant.

Carl seems like a great guy, and the car looked fabulous, I just wish they had removed 10 minutes of the repetitive filler with 10 minutes on how they fixed the body. My, that woulda been useful.

I do like the colour combo, that true blue on silver looks HOT.

al329 09-25-2006 11:57 PM

Originally Posted by Troy.Blackburn
I still watch both, however I'm loosing interest in American Hot Rod fast. I agree... too much focus on drama with both shows, however American Hot Rod seems that the drama is always about infighting an "impossible" deadlines. If the show is any reflection of how it really is to work for Boyd, then that would be a miserable place to work. And based on the people that used to work for Boyd and went to Chip.....

Troy

:iagree:

I wonder if the shows producers set up these "impossible" deadlines for the drama. I mean if it your car... would you rather have it on time or done right?

Loren Smith 09-26-2006 12:20 AM

Here's a link to a gallery of photos showing the build:

http://overhaulin.com/gallery.asp?St...et=1&target=67

OldDog58Vette 09-26-2006 12:37 AM

Originally Posted by Loren59
Here's a link to a gallery of photos showing the build:

http://overhaulin.com/gallery.asp?St...et=1&target=67

Thanks! I like the color combo!:thumbs:

BarryK 09-26-2006 06:16 AM

something has been bothering me about the '57 they did.
Granted, I think it looked great and I love the colors Chip chose but towards the end they showed where they had to cut out the rear inner fenders to clearance the rear wheel/tires they used.
If they choose a wheel that was so wide that it required tubbing the rear inner fenders/fiberglass body wouldn't that also have caused interference with the entire rear suspension?
i was at my painters shop the other day and he has 2 '57's in the shop right now he is working on so I looked under the cars to check this out and I can't see there being enough clearance room to allow a wider wheel that would require tubbing the body without also reconfiguring the rear suspension or am I missing something here??
This change on the wheels and therefore the body tubbing was a "last minute" change so when did they have time to change the rear suspension and nothing was ever mentioned about it.

firstgear 09-26-2006 06:55 AM

Originally Posted by BarryK
something has been bothering me about the '57 they did.
Granted, I think it looked great and I love the colors Chip chose but towards the end they showed where they had to cut out the rear inner fenders to clearance the rear wheel/tires they used.
If they choose a wheel that was so wide that it required tubbing the rear inner fenders/fiberglass body wouldn't that also have caused interference with the entire rear suspension?
i was at my painters shop the other day and he has 2 '57's in the shop right now he is working on so I looked under the cars to check this out and I can't see there being enough clearance room to allow a wider wheel that would require tubbing the body without also reconfiguring the rear suspension or am I missing something here??
This change on the wheels and therefore the body tubbing was a "last minute" change so when did they have time to change the rear suspension and nothing was ever mentioned about it.

the top of the body overhands the side of the frame by at least 1.5 inches. In my case, I wanted to go with a bigger tire. it means a light tub job just like they did on the show. remember they can play with back spacing right up until the tire starts to rub someplace and that someplace will be the side of the inner body.

Wider tires can be put on if you want to adjust the frame and then also adjust the body even more, but there is a point after 1-2 inches of moving the wheel well in that you will not be able to use the soft top as it retracts in to the area as well.

http://images16.fotki.com/v280/photo...MG_5288-vi.jpg

BarryK 09-26-2006 08:17 AM

Herb
that pic helps explain somewhat on the body/frame relationship, but what about the stock suspension componets - that's what I was looking at while I was at my painters shop.It just didn't look as if you could bring a wider wheel in that far that would require tubbing the body and not hit the suspension or leafspring unless I just wasn't looking at it right.

Glenn"Mr.Blue"Smith 09-26-2006 11:02 AM

Overlaulin'

Man, what a thread! As long as it was, I read every one post. Loved the short photo gallery, wish there were more detailed shots of the mods.
Like others, I'm very disapointed at these shows in that they are not more towards us gear heads instead of the 'soap' crowd. Seems we just can't get a REAL car show no matter who does it. Too many bubble heads (both male and female) and not enough of the star...the cars! Can't Steve find out about the 3X2 vs 2X4 thing? We all saw it but no one has explained the motor change, not that it really matters.
Like many others, I've often commented to my wife about the curing time that's lacking in these builds. I too, would like to see some of these cars a year or more later! Bet a lot of that 'rush' work came back to bit the owner in the butt. All that free work and parts would be great, but nix on that quickie body repairs & paint job. :skep: :nonod: Glenn

Johns_65Vette 09-26-2006 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by Glenn"Mr.Blue"Smith
Man, what a thread! As long as it was, I read every one post. Loved the short photo gallery, wish there were more detailed shots of the mods.
Like others, I'm very disapointed at these shows in that they are not more towards us gear heads instead of the 'soap' crowd. Seems we just can't get a REAL car show no matter who does it. Too many bubble heads (both male and female) and not enough of the star...the cars! Can't Steve find out about the 3X2 vs 2X4 thing? We all saw it but no one has explained the motor change, not that it really matters.
Like many others, I've often commented to my wife about the curing time that's lacking in these builds. I too, would like to see some of these cars a year or more later! Bet a lot of that 'rush' work came back to bit the owner in the butt. All that free work and parts would be great, but nix on that quickie body repairs & paint job. :skep: :nonod: Glenn

:withstupid: :rofl: Of course those paint shops probably have heated booths to help them out with curing.