CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C5 Tech (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-tech-1/)
-   -   Home made car ramps (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-tech/1428236-home-made-car-ramps.html)

mean lx 06-25-2006 03:05 PM

Home made car ramps

I know there's a link, but I can't find it. Who has made the car ramps with 2"x10"s or 2"x 12"s. I think Grond or someone else had a simple design. Anyhow, I did a search and can't find the particular thread which talks about the proper way to jack up your car. Thanks, James

DeeGee 06-25-2006 03:45 PM

I think it may have been Forum Member Mike Mercury who made the home made ramps.

I have some notes I took from a previous thread. PM me with your E Mail and I'll send them to you.

Speed Trap 06-25-2006 03:49 PM

Here is the link to Mike Mercury's ramp design:
http://mikemercury.home.att.net/ramp.htm

Warp Factor 06-25-2006 05:46 PM

Here's another style.
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...hlight=jacking
Don't worry about beveling the ends. The car will go on just fine with 90 degree straight cuts.

Mike Mercury 06-25-2006 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by Warp Factor
Here's another style.
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...hlight=jacking
Don't worry about beveling the ends. The car will go on just fine with 90 degree straight cuts.

I think that was the post the originator was looking for. :yesnod:

:cheers:

mean lx 06-25-2006 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by Mike Mercury
I think that was the post the originator was looking for. :yesnod:

:iagree: Yes, Thanks guys! James

mean lx 06-25-2006 06:57 PM

Mike Mercury

Why is the back of your ramp angled in two inches rather than perpendicular to the ground? Wouldn't it be structurally stronger at a right angle? James

Mike Mercury 06-25-2006 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by mean lx
Why is the back of your ramp angled in two inches rather than perpendicular to the ground? Wouldn't it be structurally stronger at a right angle? James

They're so strong now that I would pull a dump truck on them.

The angle is there so that if you bump into the stop block, the front edge of the ramp doesn't slap up against the frame. All of the stamped metal ramps I used years ago were angled in the rear like that.

One could place the stop block further inward - so the force-to-rotate is never on the back edge... but these low rise-angle 10" lift ramps are already on the verge of being too long.

They will stand on end though... as the stop block is near 2" thick. :D

NJ Vette Guy 06-25-2006 08:02 PM

I thought about making ramps too.....

I really wanted to make long drive up ramps that would have elevated the car enough to get under it and work on the car..... Especially to change the oil. Then I thought about it.... What if I needed to remove the tires???

So instead of making drive up ramps for $68.00 for a Kobalt 3 ton jack (including two 3 ton jack stands), another $18.99 for the 2nd set of stands (four total) from Lowe's and $28.99 for a set of Rhino ramps at Walmart I'm done.

I had to lift the front end up and remove the tires, to install a set of screens. I started the job late in the day and the car was up on the stands overnight, I finished the job the next morning. I didn't use hockey pucks, nor a piece of wood, I placed the stands right under the cross member and it worked out just fine. The next time I'm due for an oil change, I'll be doing it myself.

You know there is a certain amount of pride, when you make or do something yourself..... I'll take pride in installing screens or changing the oil..... But I don't think I could have bought the wood cheaper than buying the Rhino ramps......:thumbs:

yellow01 06-25-2006 08:07 PM

1. Buy two 10ft 2x10s.
2. Cut each into 5', 3' and 2' sections.
3. Nail the 3' onto the 5', the 2' onto the 3'.

Voila! $10 + a few nails later you have plenty of room to get a jack in there and lift to your desired height.

If you want really fancy you can nail a 10" section of 2x2 crosswise at the top as a stop, but then it will probably cost you $12. :lol: I never actually drive onto the 2ft section anyway, not necessary.

Track time costs $$$, ramps can be made CHEAP. They're functional, and they stack good too if you flip one over and stack it on the other (I put them in my track trailer like that and it's perfect).

I might paint them black and put some flames on the side... we'll see. :lol:

mean lx 06-25-2006 08:10 PM

Originally Posted by NJ Vette Guy
You know there is a certain amount of pride, when you make or do something yourself..... I'll take pride in installing screens or changing the oil..... [B
But I don't think I could have bought the wood cheaper than buying the Rhino ramps......:[/B]thumbs:

I bought the Rhino ramps because someone on this sight stated that's all they used. Maybe I misunderstood them. I didn't think they would work, but I bought some anyhow. The vette is too low for the Rhino ramps to work without Jerry rigging (sorry Jerry) them. I figured I would just attempt to build Mike Mercury's ramps. Thanks Mike or whatever your real name is. :cheers: James

mean lx 06-25-2006 08:14 PM

Originally Posted by yellow01
1. Buy two 10ft 2x10s.

Voila! $10 + a few nails later you have plenty of room to get a jack in there and lift to your desired height.

If you want really fancy you can nail a 10" section of 2x2 crosswise at the top as a stop, but then it will probably cost you $12. :lol: I never actually drive onto the 2ft section anyway, not necessary.

Track time costs $$$, ramps can be made CHEAP. They're functional, and they stack good too if you flip one over and stack it on the other (I put them in my track trailer like that and it's perfect).

I might paint them black and put some flames on the side... we'll see. :lol:

These are probably more my speed, as I haven't done any significant wood working since woodshop back in '79. :lol: Is 6" really enough lift to work underneath a vette, or is this just so I can get my jack underneath it? James

Mike Mercury 06-25-2006 08:57 PM

Originally Posted by yellow01
1. Buy two 10ft 2x10s.

I've seen ones like that and they work great. It all depends on how much lift one wants - and how fancy or practical the build.

My father was a life-long carpenter. I had to build mine like that... or he would crawl out of the grave and punch me.

:lol:

yellow01 06-26-2006 10:18 AM

I've seen ones like that and they work great. It all depends on how much lift one wants - and how fancy or practical the build.

My father was a life-long carpenter. I had to build mine like that... or he would crawl out of the grave and punch me.

:lol: They're not pretty, that's for sure :lol:

Is 6" really enough lift to work underneath a vette, or is this just so I can get my jack underneath it? James

It's enough for a jack. I personally do no work on the car that can be done with only the front up on ramps. Most often I'm up on 4-stands. I just time my oil changes and such with other work, or do a quick check of brakes etc. after a track weekend and change the oil then, or I just do a wheel by wheel job (such as bleeding at the track).

Dirty Howie 06-26-2006 06:47 PM

Man ...... I just can't get enough of these PUCKING, RAMP, JACK OFF threads :willy: :thumbs: :lol:

DH

Mike Mercury 06-26-2006 07:15 PM

Originally Posted by Dirty Howie
Man ...... I just can't get enough of these PUCKING, RAMP, JACK OFF threads.

there's a lot more of this in Off Topic... :D

mean lx 06-27-2006 07:45 PM

Mike Mercury's ramps

Well, my next door neighbor, who built my house, built the car ramps for me. The front air dam just touches at the 15 degree area of the ramp. Now, I just need to get some more two by tens or twelves and build some ramps for the rear so I can get my jack under it. I want to change the oil before taking her to Kilkare Dragway on Thursday, if the weather allows. :D James

Mike Mercury 06-27-2006 08:47 PM

Well, my next door neighbor, who built my house, built the car ramps for me. The front air dam just touches at the 15 degree area of the ramp. Now, I just need to get some more two by tens or twelves and build some ramps for the rear so I can get my jack under it. I want to change the oil before taking her to Kilkare Dragway on Thursday, if the weather allows. :D James

I might be there on Thursday - with a few other S.W. Ohio members.

Good idea to check out the Regional - Great Lakes section of the forum. We meet at least every month.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=43

we're getting together this next Sunday. :cheers:

mean lx 06-27-2006 10:00 PM

I might be there on Thursday - with a few other S.W. Ohio members.
Good idea to check out the Regional - Great Lakes section of the forum. We meet at least every month.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=43

we're getting together this next Sunday. :cheers:

What color is your vette? Sorry, but I don't remember seeing your vette at Quaker Steak and Lube last month. James

rws.1 06-27-2006 10:23 PM

here is the link i used for jacking my car

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...g&forum_id=103