CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C5 General (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-general-103/)
-   -   [Z06] Radar detector in Germany? (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-general/1424003-radar-detector-in-germany.html)

Hercdriver 06-20-2006 06:26 PM

Radar detector in Germany?

Hey all, I have a question. Do you all think it is worth having a radar detector overseas? If I do take it with me, do I have to get anything upgraded? I have a Valentine One. Thanks in advance!:cheers:

LT4 Rocker 06-21-2006 03:51 AM

Radar Detector

Radar detectors not nearly as big here as in the USA. I've been pushing the limits here for 10 years and never felt the need. First, The speed limits and traffic are high enough that you stay under the limit most of the time. Second, nearly all speed control is done with cameras and their locations are both published on the internet and predictable. Third, There are many opportunites to test your personal limits on parts of the Autobahn that still have no speed limit. This gets the need for speed out of my system regularly.

Final note, the German Police regularly patrol the Autobahn in unmarked cars and will get you without the use of radar. If they get you significantly above the posted speed, be prepared for huge fines and be ready to walk for several months.

www.mollygunner.com

Hercdriver 06-21-2006 08:41 AM

Thank you so much for the info! Do you suggest that I sell or trade my V1 for something on the forum? Does anyone in Germany that you know of have High Flow Cats? Are they allowed there? Thanks again!:cheers:

Ranger 06-21-2006 08:54 AM

Might want to shoot an email to Valentine for their insights on the target environment in Europe. They sell internationally and have a loyal following there too.

Ranger

chiefDave 06-21-2006 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by LT4 Rocker
Radar detectors not nearly as big here as in the USA. I've been pushing the limits here for 10 years and never felt the need. First, The speed limits and traffic are high enough that you stay under the limit most of the time. Second, nearly all speed control is done with cameras and their locations are both published on the internet and predictable. Third, There are many opportunites to test your personal limits on parts of the Autobahn that still have no speed limit. This gets the need for speed out of my system regularly.

Final note, the German Police regularly patrol the Autobahn in unmarked cars and will get you without the use of radar. If they get you significantly above the posted speed, be prepared for huge fines and be ready to walk for several months.

www.mollygunner.com

Hey great localtion! I have been to the castle many times and loved the town. I was in Manhiem from 98 to 2001. This was before my Vette but wow I could not imagine a vette on the autobahn:eek: I did see my first C5 (FRC) in the parking lot of the PX there and man I fell in love!!! Great post!
Dave

Hercdriver 06-21-2006 03:29 PM

Yea, I am really excited to show the Germans some true American muscle! I guess I will talk to the Valentine guy and see what they have to say!:cheers:

Bluewasp 06-22-2006 06:27 AM

They DO NOT WORK. Radar used with the camera operates at a different band. France uses the same kind of LASER! :(

rob

Steve Germany 06-22-2006 07:22 PM

Originally Posted by Bluewasp
They DO NOT WORK. Radar used with the camera operates at a different band. France uses the same kind of LASER! :(

rob

Valentine has updated their detectors to include european radar. You do have go into the mode change function in order to enable the frequency. They definately do work here in Europe now and ther are several of web sites that sell them here now. (BTW they are US models that simply have the EU mode turned on). The Valentine web site has the instruction on how to do it.

Of course the laser freqs are not covered but they are VERY rare here in Germany (for Now).

LT1driver 06-23-2006 12:50 AM

herc driver, you going to ramstein? i did several tdys there and had a great time, dyess afb mx officer at the time in the 40th, grew up in j-ville in late 60s.:thumbs: