CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C3 Tech/Performance (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c3-tech-performance-3/)
-   -   Pros and Cons of Polyurethane Motor Mounts (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c3-tech-performance/1421276-pros-and-cons-of-polyurethane-motor-mounts.html)

dmentzer 06-17-2006 02:40 PM

Pros and Cons of Polyurethane Motor Mounts

Thinking of using Energy Suspension polyurethane motor mounts on my rebuilt 327/350 mainly because you can't get a decent OEM mount. What are the pros and cons of these mounts?

BerniesVette 06-17-2006 03:16 PM

They should be a lot better than the stock ones, no negatives. Those or solid mounts.
Bernie

jackson 06-17-2006 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by BerniesVette
They should be a lot better than the stock ones, no negatives. Those or solid mounts.
Bernie

:iagree: ... with one caveat:
ES poly comes in a few colors & black. The black contains graphite powder ... a real plus on sliding/slipping bushings where poly is not meant to be bonded to metal ... but not the best for mounts where poly is bonded to metal ... the graphite powder weakens the bond. So ... colored ES motor & trans mounts are stronger than their black mounts.

a1sensei 06-17-2006 07:27 PM

I've got the ES motor mounts and they are fine, but the one on the driver's side is very close to the header and a portion of it melted (little black strings hanging down). But it still seems to be holding fine, and that heat might destroy a stock type mount. God bless, Sensei

terry82 06-17-2006 09:28 PM

happy with mine 2 years now

norvalwilhelm 06-17-2006 09:46 PM

Originally Posted by BerniesVette
Bernie

I was against solid mounts all my life because I thought it transmitted too much engine vibration at idle to be comfortable. After twisting off my second set of poly mounts I relented and went solid. I do not feel the engine throb at idle and the engine feels crisper when blipping the throttle and no more torquing the motor over hard under load.
The solid mounts also act as the structural member and keep the steering box more rigid. I did beef the area around the box and the frame motor mount.

68 NJConv 454 06-17-2006 11:17 PM

I just purchased ES poly mounts for my engine and trans.
Got them from a suspension mount only distributor who also manufactures/tests their products. Spoke to the owner of the company and when I mentioned I wanted graphite injected he told me you can only get them in suspension bushings that are prone to friction movement...which is not an engine mount. He told me engine mount bushings are not available with graphite injected polyurethane so its only a color preference. Rule of thumb...when purchasing steering or actual front/rear suspension where the bushings have normal friction or movement then energy suspension "black" bushings contain graphite injected which cuts down on squeeks, other than that, you can order red which is strictly color poly.
If you need contact info where I got my kit, then PM me. I have it somewhere. Good luck.