CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C6 Corvette General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-general-discussion-74/)
-   -   3rd Replacement Roof --- Delaminated Again (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-general-discussion/1412073-3rd-replacement-roof-delaminated-again.html)

Killrwheels@Autogeek 06-06-2006 10:14 PM

3rd Replacement Roof --- Delaminated Again

Most will remember that I was one of the first to complain about the roof, and urged all to contact NHTSA as well as GM. I got assigned a rep with GM, Ms Mann in GmExpert, and she was little help in getting anything resolved other than another roof panel that was clearly suppose to be the newer model roofs from 06 production.

To date the car has 6000 miles on it. It was built on Aug 15, 2005 and has had 3 roof panels go bad. The longest lasting roof, the current panel, lasted the entire Florida winter, and went as soon as weather heated. This one has become the first to almost completely come apart. Each other seperated in the back around the passenger side of the latch to a space of about 6-8 inches max. Our extreme heat and humidity seem to increase the failure to only a couple months at best.

If you think GM nor anyone has any idea how to fix these you are seriously incorrect. And those of you holding out consider this .... I was 45 minutes from home when the roof released on the passenger side tonight and needed to travel the highway home while a light rain. I cannot believe I did not become part of the flying roof club.

I want to claim the Lemon Law but cannot get a clear answer as to where and how to file. No booklet was in car. Car was sold by a Texas dealer under an order (allocation) and shipped to Florida dealer upon build. Do I look to Texas or Florida for Lemon Law ?????

http://www.photohost.org/gallery/dat...67Roof_002.jpg
Side of roof where clearly outside the frame

http://www.photohost.org/gallery/dat...67Roof_003.jpg
Lifted off frame, while still attached

http://www.photohost.org/gallery/dat...67Roof_005.jpg
How far across it has delaminated

http://www.photohost.org/gallery/dat...67Roof_006.jpg
I guess GM could consider it a spoiler ???

Paixao 06-06-2006 10:21 PM

sorry to hear about it..

Hey scott,, maybe will shall all look into a trasparent roof from GM this time I would think after 4 roof's they would be ahead lots 0f $$$ if they just gave you one now...
Had my replacement (1st) on now for 7days,,still waiting for a liner,,
Good luck on finding out something about the lemon law...:flag:

PS. great shine on using Pinnacle Souveran... Thanks again..
Paulo

Craigster05 06-06-2006 10:21 PM

Oh man, this is bad. I feel for you. They should at least be handing out glass replacements until they have a true fix.

Its only a matter of time until a class action suit gets underway.

'06 Quicksilver Z06 06-06-2006 10:23 PM

Why not just get the black tinted Lexan top? After all, your car is black isn't it?

Killrwheels@Autogeek 06-06-2006 10:26 PM

Originally Posted by Paixao
Hey scott,, maybe will shall all look into a trasparent roof from GM this time I would think after 4 roof's they would be ahead lots 0f $$$ if they just gave you one now...
Had my replacement (1st) on now for 7days,,still waiting for a liner,,
Good luck on finding out something about the lemon law...:flag:

PS. great shine on using Pinnacle Souveran... Thanks again..
Paulo

GM wont consider a glass top as exchange nor as compensation until roof can be repaired properly. Will not offer an extended warranty for all the shop and down time either. Basically Ms. Mann told me to deal with it under warranty and be glad they are willing to keep replacing them.

PS -- Embarrased the car looks so bad , but after the rain coming home, and no way to wash without wetting the interior. Maybe I can Pinnacle after the 4th replacement top ??

Originally Posted by Craigster05

I am hoping and wish I had an attorney willing to start it .... lots of unhappy campers.

Datawiz 06-06-2006 10:26 PM

Sounds like a lemon law candidate to me. Make them give you a new one with the transparent top. :thumbs:

Paixao 06-06-2006 10:34 PM

Hey Scott

I was talking about the great shine PS gave my car...It really came out great..........
:flag:

GooseyGoose 06-06-2006 10:39 PM

My lexan roof should be in Thursday.
I am not taking any chances...
:eek:

Brasil 06-06-2006 10:43 PM

You have to file the Lemon Law in the state in which you live in. Each manufacturer has a third party arbitration system that they use. They are obligated to give you the necessary information. I went through this process with my Cobra, not one, but two times.

cthusker 06-06-2006 11:10 PM

I can only assume GM is afraid of setting precedent by giving glass tops to owners with repeatedly failed painted ones! This is costing them a bundle and I suspect this is only a trickle of what will turn into a torrent before it’s resolved. No wonder GM has it’s butt in so much trouble with other issues when you consider how poorly they are handling this one. We’re talking about the FLAGSHIP for Chevy and perhaps the single most visible car produced by GM! Now you have Corvette owners talking about using the LEMON LAW! Even if someone didn’t want a glass top I believe it might be tough getting a new car if GM simply replaced the painted tops with glass tops. Owners could refuse but would then be on their own if GM specifically said that all failed painted tops would be replaced with glass ones. I don’t believe they have a proper repair figured out and I do believe that ALL painted tops will ultimately be affected. Top failures are now showing up on 05 and 06 models and spread all over the vin# spectrum! Does anyone really think the failures are isolated to a particular year and or vin#? Rubbish! I believe this is a systemic problem with all painted tops produced for the C6. GM can either do the right thing and recall all painted tops and replace with glass or keep trying to nickel and dime the problem to death! GM is killing the cars public image while with seriously risking alienating their core buyers! GM is once again trying to cheap out on a serious problem that they’ve been aware of for at least 18 months. I’m waiting to read about the 1st serious accident or worse caused by a flying top! How about thieves pulling the painted top off to help themselves? GM needs to really step up to plate before this turns into a bigger horror show IMO……

dark_phantom 06-06-2006 11:46 PM

I just hope that I catch it in time again, if it happens on the future. I don't want to think what would happen if it comes flying and hits someone. I did order a transparent top just in case I need to take it to the dealer again. I hope you get it resolve soon. :cheers:

Zoli007 06-06-2006 11:52 PM

From what I've read, they give x amount of time out for service, I believe its 30 days, and/or 3 failures of the same part.

Your car is part of this. Google Florida Lemon Law and you will find a number of attorneys that come up. Give them a call and see what happens.

Im almost certain mine will be doing the same, considering my car was only out in the hot hot sun maybe 2 weeks total time before the car started with the roof problems.

If it was a used car I wouldnt be quite so eager to complain about the car, but these are almost brand new cars were talking about here.

Its a shame really, best of luck to you.

d_bravo33 06-07-2006 12:22 AM

It looks like GM is still producing fly-away tops. Are there '06 coupes produced in the last three months with deliminated roofs?

It should not be a complicated fix. Sure, the shape of the car creates a serious vacuum over the top (wing effect), but industrial adhesives can hold aircraft components together at mach +1, 40,000 feet. Why can't these guys glue a roof panel on a car?

GM risks permanent damage to one of the most loyal segments in the auto industry. Credibility is fading to zero here.

xs650 06-07-2006 01:31 AM

Originally Posted by d_bravo33
but industrial adhesives can hold aircraft components together at mach +1, 40,000 feet. Why can't these guys glue a roof panel on a car?

GM risks permanent damage to one of the most loyal segments in the auto industry. Credibility is fading to zero here.

You have it easy, you can buy color matched duct tape at Home Depot. :D

jmess 06-07-2006 01:40 AM

Originally Posted by Brasil
You have to file the Lemon Law in the state in which you live in. Each manufacturer has a third party arbitration system that they use. They are obligated to give you the necessary information. I went through this process with my Cobra, not one, but two times.

I looked into this issue when I was considering doing an out of state order. What I found was your car falls under the lemon laws of the State the selling dealer resides in.

I have also bought some cars from our neighboring State of Washington and been told at the time of purchase that Washington State's lemon laws apply.

LS WON 06-07-2006 01:59 AM

Originally Posted by Killrwheels@Autogeek
Most will remember that I was one of the first to complain about the roof, and urged all to contact NHTSA as well as GM. I got assigned a rep with GM, Ms Mann in GmExpert, and she was little help in getting anything resolved other than another roof panel that was clearly suppose to be the newer model roofs from 06 production.

To date the car has 6000 miles on it. It was built on Aug 15, 2005 and has had 3 roof panels go bad. The longest lasting roof, the current panel, lasted the entire Florida winter, and went as soon as weather heated. This one has become the first to almost completely come apart. Each other seperated in the back around the passenger side of the latch to a space of about 6-8 inches max. Our extreme heat and humidity seem to increase the failure to only a couple months at best.

If you think GM nor anyone has any idea how to fix these you are seriously incorrect. And those of you holding out consider this .... I was 45 minutes from home when the roof released on the passenger side tonight and needed to travel the highway home while a light rain. I cannot believe I did not become part of the flying roof club.

I want to claim the Lemon Law but cannot get a clear answer as to where and how to file. No booklet was in car. Car was sold by a Texas dealer under an order (allocation) and shipped to Florida dealer upon build. Do I look to Texas or Florida for Lemon Law ?????

http://www.photohost.org/gallery/dat...67Roof_002.jpg
Side of roof where clearly outside the frame

http://www.photohost.org/gallery/dat...67Roof_003.jpg
Lifted off frame, while still attached

http://www.photohost.org/gallery/dat...67Roof_005.jpg
How far across it has delaminated

I guess GM could consider it a spoiler ???

I'm still going to hold out as it gets closer to march 2007 because presently the roof is solid doesn't move or creak but I don't always park it in the sun and the temps here can only go as high as 100. I already have a transparent top so I don't know what they would do for people who already have these tops for compensation. They should just get the painted tops fixed correctly no band aids.

LS WON 06-07-2006 01:59 AM

:leaving:

OregonC6 06-07-2006 02:27 AM

will c6 consumer demand drop due to the roof debacle?

What will happen to demand for the C6 as the roof problem becomes worse and gets more publicity?

I can imagine that many potential buyers , on hearing that their roof will almost certainly fail unexpectedly, will just decide not to buy a C6.

Put another way.....what are Chevy dealers telling prospects about the car? If a potential buyer has heard nothing about the top problem I suspect the salespeople are not saying anything about the problem. They will just let the buyer find out for himself after the sale.

Or what is GM telling the dealers salespeople to say to people to bring up the roof problem? Are they telling people that it is 'fixed' and that all existing roofs are being 'fixed'?

Seems to me that many new buyers are going to feel really abused if they are not informed about this up front and / or told that the problem can be fixed with certainty when in fact the 'fix' doesn't seem to be final by any means?

IMO and just curious what's going on in the showrooms at present.

I was considering a new 07 but won't buy until they get this problem really fixed.

LS WON 06-07-2006 02:34 AM

Originally Posted by OregonC6
What will happen to demand for the C6 as the roof problem becomes worse and gets more publicity?

I can imagine that many potential buyers , on hearing that their roof will almost certainly fail unexpectedly, will just decide not to buy a C6.

Put another way.....what are Chevy dealers telling prospects about the car? If a potential buyer has heard nothing about the top problem I suspect the salespeople are not saying anything about the problem. They will just let the buyer find out for himself after the sale.

Or what is GM telling the dealers salespeople to say to people to bring up the roof problem? Are they telling people that it is 'fixed' and that all existing roofs are being 'fixed'?

Seems to me that many new buyers are going to feel really abused if they are not informed about this up front and / or told that the problem can be fixed with certainty when in fact the 'fix' doesn't seem to be final by any means?

I was considering a new 07 but won't buy until they get this problem really fixed.

This will give you time to go down the street and check out those Shelby GT-500's coming in now.:cheers:

Miaugi 06-07-2006 06:02 AM

Hearing about all this nonsense really gets me mad...I've been a loyal GM supporter for almost 35 years, in fact only my first two cars weren't GM's (I was 19 and neither lasted more than 3 months) all my cars since 19 have been GM's including 3 Corvettes. Is it time to start looking at another brand...Lexus, Mercedes, maybe even a Ford! :willy:

AFVETTE 06-07-2006 06:34 AM

Give ‘em hell Scott. My top just started making some creaking and groaning noises and it's going in this Thurs for the inspection. In the mean time I just ordered a new Lexan top from Fred Beans. The solid panel will be retired.

If my solid panel top fails inspection I'm told my dealer won't even attempt a repair, rather they will order a new one. Of couse as you have discovered that's no guarantee that one will be right.

This is :bs GM step up to the plate and fix the problem and compensate owner's accordingly.

Tom

Larry B. 06-07-2006 07:17 AM

Originally Posted by d_bravo33
It should not be a complicated fix. Sure, the shape of the car creates a serious vacuum over the top (wing effect), but industrial adhesives can hold aircraft components together at mach +1, 40,000 feet. Why can't these guys glue a roof panel on a car?

If my roof fails again, I will fix it so it will stay fixed. I am very familair with structural aircraft adhesives and such. I agree it shouldn't happen. I really wonder what adhesive GM is using? Does anyone have a clue.

BTW... Scott Check your PM... I will loan you my florida lemon book...

Hurricane 06-07-2006 11:17 AM

Basically Ms. Mann told me to deal with it under warranty and be glad they are willing to keep replacing them.

:bs :mad:

What kind of attitude is this from GM?!?! They darn well better replace them, if they keep failing.

My roof hasn't delaminated <yet> but I if it happened to me three times like it did to you.....I wouldn't be buying another Corvette for a loooooong time (and I'm a repeat buyer!). :mad:

I hope they get it fixed for you correctly this time. :cheers:

Gearhead Jim 06-07-2006 12:09 PM

The good news:
This is happening to so many cars and getting so much publicity (including the NHTSA) that GM will probably be forced to fix it.

The bad news:
Look at how effective GM has been in fixing the DBS problem.

The really bad news:
Are there any other parts on the C6 that could develop a similar problem later on? Like the bonding on the transparent roof, various body panels, etc?

This may sound silly, but why doesn't GM just admit they are still working on a fix, have the dealer install some screws that go into the top frame with washers on the outside as a temporary fix, and call us back when they can do it right. Ugly, but safe.

The painted roofs are probably made by an outside supplier, and GM will charge the warranty costs back to them. Looking for that outfit to declare bankruptcy soon.

LS WON 06-07-2006 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by Miaugi
Hearing about all this nonsense really gets me mad...I've been a loyal GM supporter for almost 35 years, in fact only my first two cars weren't GM's (I was 19 and neither lasted more than 3 months) all my cars since 19 have been GM's including 3 Corvettes. Is it time to start looking at another brand...Lexus, Mercedes, maybe even a Ford! :willy:

What year Corvettes and did you buy them brand new?
The Shelby GT-500 would be good but at $40,000 not $50,000 or more.:lurk:

LS WON 06-07-2006 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by Larry B.
If my roof fails again, I will fix it so it will stay fixed. I am very familair with structural aircraft adhesives and such. I agree it shouldn't happen. I really wonder what adhesive GM is using? Does anyone have a clue.

BTW... Scott Check your PM... I will loan you my florida lemon book...

Krazy glue:willy:

LS WON 06-07-2006 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by OregonC6

Then will the prices of the Z-06 come down to MSRP or closer to invoice price because of all this bad publicity?:lurk:

Seems that all of the fixes in the past with GM have only been temporary or a band aid and will happen again. Guess that Shelby GT-500 is looking better to some of you.:lurk:

Berman 06-07-2006 12:23 PM

this is ridiculous. they should give you a glass roof.

i have an '05. no issues yet; 3k miles on the car :o

C2BOB 06-07-2006 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by cthusker
I can only assume GM is afraid of setting precedent by giving glass tops to owners with repeatedly failed painted ones! This is costing them a bundle and I suspect this is only a trickle of what will turn into a torrent before it’s resolved. No wonder GM has it’s butt in so much trouble with other issues when you consider how poorly they are handling this one. We’re talking about the FLAGSHIP for Chevy and perhaps the single most visible car produced by GM! Now you have Corvette owners talking about using the LEMON LAW! Even if someone didn’t want a glass top I believe it might be tough getting a new car if GM simply replaced the painted tops with glass tops. Owners could refuse but would then be on their own if GM specifically said that all failed painted tops would be replaced with glass ones. I don’t believe they have a proper repair figured out and I do believe that ALL painted tops will ultimately be affected. Top failures are now showing up on 05 and 06 models and spread all over the vin# spectrum! Does anyone really think the failures are isolated to a particular year and or vin#? Rubbish! I believe this is a systemic problem with all painted tops produced for the C6. GM can either do the right thing and recall all painted tops and replace with glass or keep trying to nickel and dime the problem to death! GM is killing the cars public image while with seriously risking alienating their core buyers! GM is once again trying to cheap out on a serious problem that they’ve been aware of for at least 18 months. I’m waiting to read about the 1st serious accident or worse caused by a flying top! How about thieves pulling the painted top off to help themselves? GM needs to really step up to plate before this turns into a bigger horror show IMO……

I agree. GM needs to step up here but I suspect they won't. They have a $20M-$30M problem now but the first death this causes will move that number up by an order of magnitude. I really like the C6 but this will be the last GM vehicle I ever buy.

LS WON 06-07-2006 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by Gearhead Jim
The good news:
This is happening to so many cars and getting so much publicity (including the NHTSA) that GM will probably be forced to fix it.

The bad news:
Look at how effective GM has been in fixing the DBS problem.

The really bad news:
Are there any other parts on the C6 that could develop a similar problem later on? Like the bonding on the transparent roof, various body panels, etc?

This may sound silly, but why doesn't GM just admit they are still working on a fix, have the dealer install some screws that go into the top frame with washers on the outside as a temporary fix, and call us back when they can do it right. Ugly, but safe.

The painted roofs are probably made by an outside supplier, and GM will charge the warranty costs back to them. Looking for that outfit to declare bankruptcy soon.

I know on the C-5 may be a good example of this as the problems re-appear. Their fixes were merely band aids and would happen again.
As far as C-6 goes I haven't had these problems DBS or any problems or any problems with painted top YET?:lurk:

LS WON 06-07-2006 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by C2BOB
I agree. GM needs to step up here but I suspect they won't. They have a $20M-$30M problem now but the first death this causes will move that number up by an order of magnitude. I really like the C6 but this will be the last GM vehicle I ever buy.

Where's Dave Hill? Is this why he retired?:lurk:

LS WON 06-07-2006 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by Berman
this is ridiculous. they should give you a glass roof.

i have an '05. no issues yet; 3k miles on the car :o

:iagree: Same here except I already have a transparent roof but no problems with painted top but what would they do for the owners that have both tops?:lurk:

Shrike6 06-07-2006 12:34 PM

Boy, I'd like to be a fly on the wall where the engineering team working on this problem is.
If I'm correct, the plastic (SMC) top is adhesively bonded to the frame (Magnesium?). This represents a complex problem for adhesives, as the 2 differing materiels have vastly different coefficients of thermal expansion. Adhesive alone may not ever be enough. I believe they will have to reengineer the top panel to include screw locations where the top would be screwed to the frame solidly with a bead of sealer around the edges. This means a different mold for the plastic top and a different assembly procedure. This may take some real time, but it will be ultimately cheaper than multiple replacements of every top out there.
I bought both tops from the factory and have the solid one in storage up in a room at home. It has never been on the car. I may not ever put it on, until the recall is about to run out, if it ever really does.
I think we may have quite a wait ahead before this problem is truly fixed.
Maybe if someone runs into Tom Wallace at an event, they could inquire about the status of the fix. They won't be able to deny the problem after the NHTSA recall ( unlike DBS). I sure would. I'd be willing any fix not involving adhesive only will fail.
GM

LS WON 06-07-2006 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by gmoller
Boy, I'd like to be a fly on the wall where the engineering team working on this problem is.
If I'm correct, the plastic (SMC) top is adhesively bonded to the frame (Magnesium?). This represents a complex problem for adhesives, as the 2 differing materiels have vastly different coefficients of thermal expansion. Adhesive alone may not ever be enough. I believe they will have to reengineer the top panel to include screw locations where the top would be screwed to the frame solidly with a bead of sealer around the edges. This means a different mold for the plastic top and a different assembly procedure. This may take some real time, but it will be ultimately cheaper than multiple replacements of every top out there.
I bought both tops from the factory and have the solid one in storage up in a room at home. It has never been on the car. I may not ever put it on, until the recall is about to run out, if it ever really does.
Maybe if someone runs into Tom Wallace at an event, they could inquire about the status of the fix. They won't be able to deny the problem after the NHTSA recall ( unlike DBS). I sure would. I'd be willing any fix not involving adhesive only will fail.
GM

Haven't had any problems with either top. Didn't know they had problems with transparent top? what problems are they having?:lurk:

Lebowski 06-07-2006 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by LS WON
:iagree: Same here except I already have a transparent roof but no problems with painted top but what would they do for the owners that have both tops?:lurk:

The right thing to do would be to give you the option of turnign in your painted top in exchange for reimbursement of the price diff between clear and dual tops. I highly doubt GM would do that, though.

While I feel for you guys who paid for two tops who would feel ripped off if those of us who got painted only got a free transparent top from GM, IMO the issue of fixing what is a legitimate safety concern is far more important than making sure you dual top guys don't feel like you got ripped off. In short, they should give us transparent tops regardless of whether/how they decide to compensate the dual top people.

bocabob 06-07-2006 01:04 PM

Jeez....I found this site while surfing for Corvette info as I am a week out to getting my 06 Coupe.. The dealer has not told me out this issue but I did buy CF7 roof package (2 tops)...if the painted ones are due to heat, I wont have that problem in Washington..lol.. I drive a Mercedes now and will be keeping it... but they have there problems too...and dude.. DONT do a FORD.... :willy:

Shrike6 06-07-2006 01:06 PM

Haven't had any problems with either top. Didn't know they had problems with transparent top? what problems are they having?:lurk:

Sorry if I was unclear, but I don't have any problems with the clear top, and haven't heard of any clear ones delaminating yet.
Maybe because they are a different material and so thin that they don't generate much force when they expand.
Also, since I did buy both tops, my solid one may yet have to be replaced anyway. I have no problem with GM giving the solid top only guys a clear one. I wouldn't feel cheated at all.
GM

LS WON 06-07-2006 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by Lebowski
The right thing to do would be to give you the option of turnign in your painted top in exchange for reimbursement of the price diff between clear and dual tops. I highly doubt GM would do that, though.

While I feel for you guys who paid for two tops who would feel ripped off if those of us who got painted only got a free transparent top from GM, IMO the issue of fixing what is a legitimate safety concern is far more important than making sure you dual top guys don't feel like you got ripped off. In short, they should give us transparent tops regardless of whether/how they decide to compensate the dual top people.

Luckily when I ordered the dual top option it was on constraint so I cancelled it and at a later date was able to get from GM parts a GM translucent top for $800.:thumbs:

LS WON 06-07-2006 01:09 PM

GM

DBS what is this Dead battery Syndrome? I have never had that problem neither but I have an automatic if that makes any difference as I understand you have to leave the manuals in reverse or your battery will go dead.

Lebowski 06-07-2006 01:13 PM

Luckily when I ordered the dual top option it was on constraint so I cancelled it and at a later date was able to get from GM parts a GM translucent top for $800.:thumbs:

Damn, how'd you get that price? I'm getting close to the point where I might just suck it up and buy the transparent top, even though it goes against everything I believe in.

LS WON 06-07-2006 01:14 PM

Damn, how'd you get that price? I'm getting close to the point where I might just suck it up and buy the transparent top, even though it goes against everything I believe in.

It was a special deal I was at the right place at the right time I was told a customer didn't want it or cancelled it so parts manager offerred it to me.:thumbs:

Larry B. 06-07-2006 01:18 PM

GM

Early 70's and back Corvettes had metal to fiberglass bond areas and in some places they used rivets and screws to assure a permanent bond. This is evident as dimples and impressions where the fasteners are as are bonding strip seams. Look at the nose areas and bonding strip seams on C3's and the mid year(63-67) C2's. On an unrestored car these are quite visable. Of course this would be totally unacceptable by today's standards. GM has a real problem here. The roof panels on my old 69 were not coming apart. I understand the problem with bonding dissimilar materials. However, C5's don't seem to have a problem... so the question is... Why fix something that isn't broken?. It looks like saving weight is more expensive than anyone thought. It is not a performance issue.. But it IS quickly becoming a PR issue. I don't get it. All of the developement that went into the C6 and then this happens. Sorry about the rant ...

rockywoody 06-07-2006 01:24 PM

But what about those of us that don't want a transparent top? In south TX in the summer, the last thing I want is sunlight coming through the roof. I just want the solid top to be safe and functional. I agree with the CTE statement made above - when exposed to temperature extremes, that will basically create an insurmountable problem for any adhesive.

LS WON 06-07-2006 01:24 PM

Early 70's and back Corvettes had metal to fiberglass bond areas and in some places they used rivets and screws to assure a permanent bond. This is evident as dimples and impressions where the fasteners are as are bonding strip seams. Look at the nose areas and bonding strip seams on C3's and the mid year(63-67) C2's. On an unrestored car these are quite visable. Of course this would be totally unacceptable by today's standards. GM has a real problem here. The roof panels on my old 69 were not coming apart. I understand the problem with bonding dissimilar materials. However, C5's don't seem to have a problem... so the question is... Why fix something that isn't broken?. It looks like saving weight is more expensive than anyone thought. It is not a performance issue.. But it IS quickly becoming a PR issue. I don't get it. All of the developement that went into the C6 and then this happens. Sorry about the rant ...

:iagree:
Where's Dave Hill?
Saving weight in what way using the transparent top instead?

LS WON 06-07-2006 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by rockywoody
But what about those of us that don't want a transparent top? In south TX in the summer, the last thing I want is sunlight coming through the roof. I just want the solid top to be safe and functional. I agree with the CTE statement made above - when exposed to temperature extremes, that will basically create an insurmountable problem for any adhesive.

That's one of the reasons I use the painted top as it has better insulation against sun, and noise. The only thing that can be done is to have it tinted or use one of those add on tints from Eckler's. I don't know if they work good or not but with the glass top I would not want anything to interfer with my vision looking out.

Lebowski 06-07-2006 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by rockywoody

I live in FL and this is a big reason I went w/ painted in the first place (that was before I knew painted would fly off, of course), but do note that some companies (downsouthvettes I believe) make some pretty sharp looking liners for the transparent top that will solve the problem of light shining through and making the car unbearably hot.

LS WON 06-07-2006 01:30 PM

I live in FL and this is a big reason I went w/ painted in the first place (that was before I knew painted would fly off, of course), but do note that some companies (downsouthvettes I believe) make some pretty sharp looking liners for the transparent top that will solve the problem of light shining through and making the car unbearably hot.

Might be worth looking into for those in real hot climates or lots of sun. I know Eckler's and Mid-America sell them but I don't know if they are the same products.

Larry B. 06-07-2006 01:35 PM

Another point about Lexan (clear) tops is that over the years they tend to become "crazed" and even a little discolored. They can crack or get scratched when stuck by a piece of debris (like a 10 lb fibreglas panel) and cannot be repaired.

Lebowski 06-07-2006 01:43 PM

Might be worth looking into for those in real hot climates or lots of sun. I know Eckler's and Mid-America sell them but I don't know if they are the same products.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...t=suction+cups

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...t=suction+cups

scottypman 06-07-2006 02:13 PM

Oh man, this is bad. I feel for you. They should at least be handing out glass replacements until they have a true fix.

Then we can roll in the $$$$$$. :cheers:

The way I see it, GM made a choice to cut corners and hoped they would not get caught. Well they did get caught, and no they have to pay IMHO :toetap:

LS WON 06-07-2006 02:30 PM

This is not the same product. The one in Eckler's and Mid-America you can still see through cost is around $29. The one with suction cups is probably the best to eliminate all light but if you can find a point between the two so you can see out if this is what you want.

LS WON 06-07-2006 02:32 PM

Another point about Lexan (clear) tops is that over the years they tend to become "crazed" and even a little discolored. They can crack or get scratched when stuck by a piece of debris (like a 10 lb fibreglas panel) and cannot be repaired.

Maybe it is best to keep car out of sun for long periods of time. Park in shade or in covered garage.

bangbgC6 06-07-2006 02:42 PM

Early production C6's rule!

A roof that stays attached to the car has got to be worth more resale value wise than say the A6 over the A4.:willy:

double eagle 06-07-2006 02:52 PM

This issue is going to become more "interesting" as time passes. :crazy:

Killrwheels@Autogeek 06-07-2006 07:01 PM

Thanks guys/gals for the emails, posts, and PM's. I have found out that I need to file the Lemon Law in New York as the car was billed and sold there. I have found out that GM closed my last complaint out and figured it was repaired because they replaced the roof. (wow, didnt I already have one replaced under warranty prior ??)

My local dealer Lou Bachrodt in Coconut Creek is becoming a real ball breaker. The Service Manager wont release a rental car unless I leave the Vette with them, ETA on new roof two weeks. So I should let some lot boy move the car around as he see's fit, I should allow a car with custom Iforged Wheels to sit unattended at night on lot, and I should basically drive around in some Neon until the painter and delivery specialist can both get OFF their asses and replace the roof. No priority status ....

And get this the dealer had the gall to tell the Customer Service Advisor at GM that it was a liability to allow me to keep the Vette in my garage. Locked and covered with my wife home almost all the time. The real liability is NOT giving a rental and allowing me to potentially drive it around till it falls off and kills or harms so unknowing person. GM and Chevy are going bankrupt for a reason ... they allow their dealers to make items worse.

Audioi 06-07-2006 07:06 PM

This has to be the best thing about living in upstate NY.
We get 52 sunny days a year so no problem with roof seperation !

Killrwheels@Autogeek 06-07-2006 08:06 PM

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...t=delamination

heres my original post at 700 miles with nearly 13000+ visits to date. GM are you watching ????????????/

VamPY 06-07-2006 09:26 PM

man this sucks big time! and there are still ppl defending GM? DUH!

xs650 06-07-2006 09:41 PM

Maybe it is best to keep car out of sun for long periods of time. Park in shade or in covered garage.

"A ship in harbor is safe, but that's not what ships are for."

.....Unknown Author

rckt 06-07-2006 09:42 PM

Take it to a different dealer. I got a rental car and left only the top. Roger Dean in WPB. They did an excellent job!

excessive81 06-07-2006 10:32 PM

i just wished they would offer the glass roof to us so we could move on. i dont wan to have to check this everytime i drive the car.

LS WON 06-08-2006 09:56 AM

Originally Posted by black05c6z51
i just wished they would offer the glass roof to us so we could move on. i dont wan to have to check this everytime i drive the car.

Just push harder the next time you check the top.:lol:

SH_Eng 06-08-2006 12:46 PM

Thinking "outside-the-box," anyone thought of painting the outside of a transparent top body color? Blocks the sunlight, won't fly off, matches the body color.

achilds 06-08-2006 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by Brasil

Actually you need to file the action in the state in which you took delivery. There is a large lemon law firm that will answer any questions you have on this do a search for Kimmel and Silverman they will be happy to answer any questions you have.

HV80 06-08-2006 01:14 PM

Got mine re-done today.

I got my roof re-done this morning at my dealer here in Houston. They replaced the foam insert and will be getting me a new head liner since some of the adhesive got on to it. My roof was making all the crinkle and cracking noises other members have mentioned so I didn't waste anytime.

Since my C6 is either in the garage at home or the garage at work it doesn't see much sun. This may explain why it didn't delaminate yet. I will be keeping an eye on mine and keep ya'll updated.

Killrwheels@Autogeek 06-08-2006 06:50 PM

Still no budging with Brad at Lou Bachrodt Chevy in Coconut Creek. Seems that Brad (Service Manager) is god in his own world. GM thru Chevy Assistance can do nothing, they cannot seem to even understand how to roof is seperating.

Cannot wait for Lemon Law book, and cannot wait for the next survey. I just bought wife a new SRX , cannot believe I got another GM product. Funny, they (Cadillac) offer a rental car for even a oil change.

coolcat 06-08-2006 07:55 PM

Originally Posted by cthusker
I’m waiting to read about the 1st serious accident or worse caused by a flying top!

I avoid driving behind any C6 with a painted top. :nono:

coolcat 06-08-2006 08:03 PM

Funny, they (Cadillac) offer a rental car for even a oil change.

Whenever I take my C6 back to my Chevrolet/Cadillac dealer for service, they offer me a new Caddy to drive around in, until my vette is ready to go. :thumbs:

LS WON 06-08-2006 10:49 PM

Originally Posted by achilds
Actually you need to file the action in the state in which you took delivery. There is a large lemon law firm that will answer any questions you have on this do a search for Kimmel and Silverman they will be happy to answer any questions you have.

That's the problem when you buy products out of state the laws are different than the state you reside in could be better or worse?:lurk:

Low12s 06-08-2006 11:42 PM

Its costing GM $50 plus a day for my rental while I wait for a roof. Mine is not supposed to be in until middle of July. Multiply that times all the cases, and it is significant money.

LS WON 06-08-2006 11:53 PM

Originally Posted by Low12s
Its costing GM $50 plus a day for my rental while I wait for a roof. Mine is not supposed to be in until middle of July. Multiply that times all the cases, and it is significant money.

What kind of car did you get as a rental? soon the Shelby GT-350 Hertz rent a car will be available 500 of them for rental see if you can get one of those instead.:lol:

Killrwheels@Autogeek 06-09-2006 09:57 PM

What kind of car did you get as a rental? soon the Shelby GT-350 Hertz rent a car will be available 500 of them for rental see if you can get one of those instead.:lol:

based on my luck Id get a Aveo .... but heck, the roof will likely stay attached. :D

TrackNoob 06-09-2006 10:03 PM

Still no budging with Bachrodt Chevy. Seems that Brad (Service Manager) is god in his own world.

Don't know if it is same Bachrodt (Coconut Creek?), but the Parts guy, Mike, was a prince. Seriously. Of course, I got the last clear top they had just this afternoon... :sadangel:

Now that I have mine safely obtained, I can say out loud -- why would Chevy NOT just give up any clear ones that are in the system for the painted one you have coming apart, either permanaently or at least temporarily?

They claim the tops need adjusting, but that has to be minor relative to the total hassle involved with keeping car for weeks...

I love my car, and they got most of it right - dang near perfect, and I know the 'end game' on this issue will be okay, too, but for now it really stinks.

railgun 06-09-2006 11:44 PM

Originally Posted by TrackNoob
They claim the tops need adjusting, but that has to be minor relative to the total hassle involved with keeping car for weeks...

Adjusting? I bought a used clear top yesterday and it seems to fit fine. I think my silver C6 looks better with the painted top but really wanted both tops from the start...just not for $1600.

LS WON 06-10-2006 01:02 AM

:rofl:

based on my luck Id get a Aveo .... but heck, the roof will likely stay attached. :D

:lol: :lol: :crazy: :lol:

2005ArcticWhite 06-10-2006 01:49 AM

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

TrackNoob 06-10-2006 10:15 AM

Originally Posted by railgun
Adjusting? I bought a used clear top yesterday and it seems to fit fine. I think my silver C6 looks better with the painted top but really wanted both tops from the start...just not for $1600.

Mine also dropped right into place, with no shims or tweaking needed.

Also feel same way about appearance, but this may be one of those things that grows on me. I definitely like the additional light and the view from inside!

I had set aside this AM to do the adjustment, so now here I am on "teh intarnet" instead... :crazy:

ZMEGO 06-10-2006 10:53 AM

The dealer has ordered a new solid top (no pun intended) for me. They said it should be about 2 weeks until it is ready, but who knows how accurate this time frame is and I don't know how many times this will have to occur until I have a stable top. Because of these concerns and the fact I would rather drive the C6 than a rental I have become a member of the transparent top brigade. I was able to pick up a used transparent top from a forum member (thanks ucla81)

TrackNoob 06-10-2006 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by ZMEGO
The dealer has ordered a new solid top (no pun intended) for me. They said it should be about 2 weeks until it is ready, but who knows how accurate this time frame is and I don't know how many times this will have to occur until I have a stable top. Because of these concerns and the fact I would rather drive the C6 than a rental I have become a member of the transparent top brigade. I was able to pick up a used transparent top from a forum member (thanks ucla81)

:thumbs:

I'l bet there is going to be a lot of that going around....

Somehow, I see a new poll in our future :rofl:

Monterrey Bill 06-10-2006 04:35 PM

:iagree: I haven't had any problem with mine yet, I am affraid to take it
in after reading all this on them, No doubt there will be a problem for sure if I do.:ack:

Killrwheels@Autogeek 06-10-2006 05:14 PM

Originally Posted by TrackNoob
Don't know if it is same Bachrodt (Coconut Creek?), but the Parts guy, Mike, was a prince.

Same dealer Lou Bachrodt in Coconut Creek.... and there are a couple of gems, including Kasey (service) and Frank (parts manager). But the new Service Manager Brad is the truest butt of a donkey in every sense of the term. I cannot wait to destroy the next survey. Maybe missing a bonus or two will help him remember just what "customer service" entails.

LS WON 06-10-2006 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by Monterrey Bill
:iagree: I haven't had any problem with mine yet, I am affraid to take it
in after reading all this on them, No doubt there will be a problem for sure if I do.:ack:

:iagree:
If it ain't broke don't fix it.

Killrwheels@Autogeek 06-10-2006 09:48 PM

the other issue to consider is what happens outside the warranty period ?? If your roof fails at a later date and you failed to have them repair or update as needed during the National Recall Period ???

Jbal 06-10-2006 09:52 PM

Geeessssh!! Why would anyone want a painted panel in the first place!!
Just my 0.02cents!

Killrwheels@Autogeek 06-10-2006 09:56 PM

Originally Posted by Jbal
Geeessssh!! Why would anyone want a painted panel in the first place!!
Just my 0.02cents!

FLORIDA .... Heat Index in the car each day is over 101 degree's during the late spring / summer. Painted panel reduces some heat, and far quieter than the lexan top. I had both on my C5, and other than winter found NO use for it. At this point if GM offered a free lexan top I would take it , just to be able to use the car and stop visiting the ****ty dealer so often.

Larry B. 06-10-2006 09:59 PM

FLORIDA .... Heat Index in the car each day is over 101 degree's during the late spring / summer. Painted panel reduces some heat, and far quieter than the lexan top. I had both on my C5, and other than winter found NO use for it. At this point if GM offered a free lexan top I would take it , just to be able to use the car and stop visiting the ****ty dealer so often.

I would not want a lexan roof except in the winter here in Florida. I had both on a C4... Lexan top.... winter use only.

LS WON 06-11-2006 01:02 AM

Do you know if this has happened to corvette owners in cold climates. All of this is coming out at one time and its summer so it is definitely related to the heat. So if you live where it doesn't get to this boiling point whatever that is then you don't have to worry? I wouldn't want them to mess with my painted top since I don't have any problems with it now but if i send it in they will get adhesive on the paint and will have to get me a new top so then the process starts all over again.:lurk:

Maui 06-11-2006 01:16 AM

Time to get the nail gun out. :leaving:

Killrwheels@Autogeek 06-11-2006 11:29 AM

Do you know if this has happened to corvette owners in cold climates. All of this is coming out at one time and its summer so it is definitely related to the heat. So if you live where it doesn't get to this boiling point whatever that is then you don't have to worry? I wouldn't want them to mess with my painted top since I don't have any problems with it now but if i send it in they will get adhesive on the paint and will have to get me a new top so then the process starts all over again.:lurk:

I agree 110% than the heat and humidity seems to increase the likelyhood of failure. Also note a significant amount of cars are black, and black retains heat moreso than metallic based paint which reflects some heat.

But, if the glue/adhesive has failed prematurely in these areas, does that mean that the likelyhood of failure in cold areas will be less. I dont pretend to know .... what I suspect is the adhesive is the wrong choice for these applications. I suspect that over time even cars in colder climates "might" see delamination. There are no attachment points in the two panels other than this glue/adhesive.

My second worry, is that GM failed (or its supplier) to understand exactly what is needed to attach a polycarbonate type painted panel to a magnesium frame. If this is the case ... and hot temperatures are just speeding the failure rate --- then all of us have to worry. Because likely all glue/adhesive would fail at some point. The National forced recall from NHTSA now gives all Corvette owners some recourse at a later date if this is true. (think outside the warrranty period)

------------------------
My biggest example is the clearcoat system GM used in the late 80's when laws became more stringent to protect the environment. Without National Recall and Recognition, those that did NOT experience clearcoat failure to later would have had to repair/repaint themselves. And dont think GM did not use this to its advantage, by still allowing dealers to pick and choose, or "upgrade" services into a reduced price for a total repaint. --- Obviously another story altogether. But areas with extreme sun/heat saw the issue first, while vehicles in other areas were "safe" or so they thought until later dates.

flaskier99 06-11-2006 11:34 AM

Thanks guys/gals for the emails, posts, and PM's. I have found out that I need to file the Lemon Law in New York as the car was billed and sold there. I have found out that GM closed my last complaint out and figured it was repaired because they replaced the roof. (wow, didnt I already have one replaced under warranty prior ??)

My local dealer Bachrodt in Coconut Creek is becoming a real ball breaker. The Service Manager wont release a rental car unless I leave the Vette with them, ETA on new roof two weeks. So I should let some lot boy move the car around as he see's fit, I should allow a car with custom Iforged Wheels to sit unattended at night on lot, and I should basically drive around in some Neon until the painter and delivery specialist can both get OFF their asses and replace the roof. No priority status ....

And get this the dealer had the gall to tell the Customer Service Advisor at GM that it was a liability to allow me to keep the Vette in my garage. Locked and covered with my wife home almost all the time. The real liability is NOT giving a rental and allowing me to potentially drive it around till it falls off and kills or harms so unknowing person. GM and Chevy are going bankrupt for a reason ... they allow their dealers to make items worse.

Man, I just don't get this one at all. I am having my C6 done at the same dealer with no hassle, no problems. The service writer (Brandon) didn't even inspect the roof for more than a few seconds. Ordered a new roof and said to call him to make an appointment with him when I was notified that the roof came in. Like you, I was not going to leave my car there for 2 weeks, again, not a problem. I drove the C6 home with the roof off and parked it in the garage, where it has sat since. He asked if I wanted a rental, which I refused. Didn't want some front drive Impala POS. Maybe you got the wrong guy or someone was having a bad day and got stubborn.

I was dreading taking the C6 into the dealership because they are all bad, and Lou Bachrodt has a particularly bad repuation, especially since they advertise themselves as vette friendly but this has been OK, at least till now. I think Bachrodt's biggest problem is the hugh turnover they have with the service writers. Everytime I am there I see new faces.

I guess the final judge will be how well the new roof holds up and how well the body shop matches the paint.

Killrwheels@Autogeek 06-11-2006 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by flaskier99
Man, I just don't get this one at all. I am having my C6 done at the same dealer with no hassle, no problems. The service writer (Brandon) didn't even inspect the roof for more than a few seconds. Ordered a new roof and said to call him to make an appointment with him when I was notified that the roof came in. Like you, I was not going to leave my car there for 2 weeks, again, not a problem. I drove the C6 home with the roof off and parked it in the garage, where it has sat since. He asked if I wanted a rental, which I refused. Didn't want some front drive Impala POS. Maybe you got the wrong guy or someone was having a bad day and got stubborn.

I have used Lou Bachrodt (Coconut Creek) for more than 10 years, I even had some of my non-chevy units there for oil changes. Recently, within the last year, they changed Service Managers. They fired one of their best Assistant Managers Dave ... and Brad has become the God of Service. Since then, nothing is easy with them.

I truly value Kasey as my service writer. Maybe he is too blame, but I seriously doubt it. He is always on top of my repairs, and has tried to do as Dave has with me prior. Infact, I recently sent a letter of praise to the dealer and hoped they would consider him for advancement. I have his personal home email, and when my wife or I call, he is always apologetic for any issue. But he has to follow the new regimine of Hitler (Brad) the Service Manager.

The rental car issue is the topping on the cake. Brad is simply being a true azz because GM is once again involved. And likely Chevy is pointing the finger at the dealer as this is the third replacement roof. I have actually had more than 3 people using other local dealers and yourself as an example that a rental CAN be assigned and car can be stored at home without issue. (dealer WONT accept full liability or it would be a non-issue) . Im not going to use the car ... and should not have to use wifes car while after a warranty issue involving safety has been verified !!

The only words of compliment I can now offer is that to date, the last two replacement panels had relatively nice paintwork. One had a small pin spot, and the other dented in one corner, but only noticed by someone who clearly keeps an eye out for even minor damage. Since I know that dealers, service writers, and service manager are all bonused on service, they will be very unhappy when the next survey is produced. I plan to rate "SUCKS" in every category ... except for Service Writer.

http://www.photohost.org/gallery/dat...of_003-med.jpg

SC TROJAN GRAD 06-11-2006 12:00 PM

I took my car into Maroone Chevy in Fort Lauderdale on Monday (6-5-06) they ordered the top and I had the car back to me on Wednesday (6-7-06). I bought the transparent top for back up.

Great service department.

Rachane 06-11-2006 12:20 PM

Bite the Bullet

After reading all of these roof-threads, I am coming to the conclusion that since Chevrolet apparently doesn't know how to fix the problem reliably, the bottom line for those of us who want solid roofs is:

(1) Buy a clear top (a second one if you already have one).

(2) Take it to a good body shop and have it painted to match the car.

(3) Take it to a good auto upholstery shop and have it insulated/lined as desired.

(4) Use worry-free.

Yes, expensive. But at least you can then relax while everyone is stressed out about their factory solid tops for the next ? years while Chevrolet is screwing around trying different brands of chewing gum, etc. As an incidental benefit, you'll also have a lighter-weight solid top.

TrackNoob 06-11-2006 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by Rachane
After reading all of these roof-threads, I am coming to the conclusion that since Chevrolet apparently doesn't know how to fix the problem reliably, the bottom line for those of us who want solid roofs is...

I went back to the site where Chevy replied via letter on May 24, 2006 to NHTSA, to admit the "Customer Satisfaction" efforts need to be deemed a Product Recall, in accordance with Federal Regulation.

I encourage ALL 2005/2006 owners to please read the letter carefully in it's entirety, because I am not sure you will agree with their stance. It's a PDF so I can't cut and paste, but I will try to quote a couple of parts so that you can see GM has clearly set out on a path that involves a wait and see approach, and is purporting that the foam is an effective fix, after previously asserting that a process change to the adhesive was the fix. I have my own opinions on those positions, but invite you to decide for yourselves.

http://199.79.180.162/prepos/files/A...6V181-6133.PDF

"The following information is submitted pursuant to the requirements of 49 CFR 573.6 as it applies to a determination by General Motors of a safety defect involving certain 2005-06 model year Chevrolet Corvette model vehicles."

"Further warranty analysis on May 10, 2006 identified seven additional reports of roof separation for vehicles built after the August 17, 2005 adhesive curing process breakpoint."

"Further testing to the replacement roof showed the change to the adhesive curing process on August 17, 2005 did not provide adequate bond strength. Therefore roofs replaced as part of the Customer Satisfaction Program will be included in this safety recall to insert adhesive foam into the roof"

"vehicles repaired with foam...have adequate bond strength and require no further action."

"...GM does not plan to provide notice about reimbursement to owners because all vehicles are covered under the new vehicle warranty"

[Not responsible for errors in transcription. Link is provided, so check it yourself. All opinions stated on this forum are my own, and do not represent any company, group, or other entity. Your mileage may vary. Objects in mirror may be your roof.]

TrackNoob 06-11-2006 04:59 PM

Likely error by me

[snip]
My second worry, is that GM failed (or its supplier) to understand exactly what is needed to attach a polycarbonate type painted panel to a magnesium frame.

Your example of the paint issues from decades past was a good one. We need to remember that the Corvette is a 'technology platform' so leading edge stuff is often piloted on our cars first.

In any event, I want to make a preliminary retraction - I have been stating that the painted roof panel is polycarbonate, based on reading of several articles. However, those same articles mentioned it being a thermoset, and that did not seem to jibe. Thanks Larry B. for tapping me politely on the shoulder and asking me if I was sure of my facts. No, I was not!

In fact, I have not been able to find an authoritative source of precisely what the construction material of the painted roof is, but it is most likely SMC. One might hypothesize that the glass filled material may have an extremely low coeffecient of linear thermal expansion, and this could perhaps explain why the polycarbonate works, while the painted panel fails on the same magnesium frame.

Maybe.

MG THX ~ 26 um/m/C
Lexan ~ 70 um/m/C
SMC ~ 3.6-25 um/m/C (depends on grade and composition)

Or, rather than the CTE, it could be another physical property - the Lexan may be able to 'give' with the MG frame, whereas the SMC is by design very stiff?

Or, if we now believe that the substrate is different (SMC vs polycarbonate), the adhesive chosen may play the critical role...?

I guess I'll say it for myself before someone else says it for me -- I may very well be dumber after having read through all this than when I started :rofl:

GM -- please just fix our roofs!

" The redesigned 2005 Chevrolet Corvette (upper photo) attracted a lot of attention, with SMC in the hood, doors, rear quarter panels, roof and reinforced RIM in the fascia and fenders." [emphasis added]
http://www.compositesworld.com/ct/is...4/February/363

AC54ME 06-11-2006 06:10 PM

The Lemon Law applies to you in the state the car was sold in (Florida in your case) - AS LONG as you were the one purchasing (first registering) the Vette.

Go to Florida.Gov - you should be able to find a link, or check the Fl State sites.

flaskier99 06-11-2006 06:40 PM

I have used Lou Bachrodt (Coconut Creek) for more than 10 years, I even had some of my non-chevy units there for oil changes. Recently, within the last year, they changed Service Managers. They fired one of their best Assistant Managers Dave ... and Brad has become the God of Service. Since then, nothing is easy with them.

I truly value Kasey as my service writer. Maybe he is too blame, but I seriously doubt it. He is always on top of my repairs, and has tried to do as Dave has with me prior. Infact, I recently sent a letter of praise to the dealer and hoped they would consider him for advancement. I have his personal home email, and when my wife or I call, he is always apologetic for any issue. But he has to follow the new regimine of Hitler (Brad) the Service Manager.

The rental car issue is the topping on the cake. Brad is simply being a true azz because GM is once again involved. And likely Chevy is pointing the finger at the dealer as this is the third replacement roof. I have actually had more than 3 people using other local dealers and yourself as an example that a rental CAN be assigned and car can be stored at home without issue. (dealer WONT accept full liability or it would be a non-issue) . Im not going to use the car ... and should not have to use wifes car while after a warranty issue involving safety has been verified !!

I feel your pain on this. My wife gave me a ration of sh...... this morning because she wanted to go to the forum cruise to Jupiter and of course my C6 is undriveable. She really could not understand why the warranty loaner vehicle was not another C6. She was actually shocked that another vette was not offered :banghead:

Just curious, my top separated from the front and the wind was able to get underneath and separate it that way. Mine is always garaged but had to sit outside for 2 days and that is when I noticied the "creaking" and "groaning" noises. Drove it a couple days and then one day on the Sawgrass I could hear and feel the wind start to come in directly from the front. Yours looks very different, what do you think happened to your's?

Killrwheels@Autogeek 06-11-2006 07:25 PM

Originally Posted by flaskier99
Yours looks very different, what do you think happened to your's?

All three panels (stock panel and two replacements) have all started to delaminate first at the passenger side rear just right of the rear locking mechanism. They were all noticed by sound first, and truthfully Dave at Bachrodt showed me the signs of it on the stock top. The panel actually moves away from the frame and what was once locked together with an adhesive/glue is now bowing out and away from the frame.

This third panel was diagnosed the same way. It started to creak loudly (like stryofoam being rubbed together) and I took it in for diagnosis a week past on Weds/Thurs. (why they needed to keep the car is unknown, but since on vacation no biggie). Car was then returned, with roof ordered, and sat in garage till Monday. Within two days in the sun for around 8-10 hours daily, the passenger side completely let go from rear latch around to side and back to around the middle of the front. I dont believe the dealer did anything, as nothing was noticed on Monday. I thought about leaving it in the sun this coming week (if this lousy tropical storm passes) just to see if the final side will let loose naturally.

OregonC6 06-11-2006 11:08 PM

sooner rather than later

Reading all the posts it seems like exposure to direct sunlight even in moderate temperatures ( not the worst of the summer yet ) for a couple of days greatly accelerates the delam process. Some have speculated that owners in colder northern areas might not see this as soon.

However, even northern states and provinces have a number of back to back really hot sunny days each season. If that's all it takes then .....most all will soon fail.

My humble suggestion is that all C6 owners who have painted roofs should make it a point to park their cars in the sun for several days as soon as possible this summer. If it's gonna happen it might as well happen sooner rather than later when the warranty is inforce and the recall is still open. But how could you take one of these cars on a long summer trip even with a fixed painted roof? Just too dangerous. However, I wonder what percent of owners know NOTHING about the problem and for whom it is a total surprise when the top goes bam!

GM must have really dreaded the national recall notice since it probably informed lots of owners who were living in total ignorance of the potential ( or likely ) problem. I mean, after all, who would ever think that Chevrolet would sell its flagship car with such a pervasive defect?

It's just not something people expect.

Low12s 06-11-2006 11:39 PM

Originally Posted by Rachane
After reading all of these roof-threads, I am coming to the conclusion that since Chevrolet apparently doesn't know how to fix the problem reliably, the bottom line for those of us who want solid roofs is:

(1) Buy a clear top (a second one if you already have one).

(2) Take it to a good body shop and have it painted to match the car.

(3) Take it to a good auto upholstery shop and have it insulated/lined as desired.

(4) Use worry-free.

Yes, expensive. But at least you can then relax while everyone is stressed out about their factory solid tops for the next ? years while Chevrolet is screwing around trying different brands of chewing gum, etc. As an incidental benefit, you'll also have a lighter-weight solid top.

Perhaps the dumbest comment I have heard. I pay 50K plus for the "premier" car of its kind (and I love the car). The roof is defective from the manufacturer, and you suggest I pay for the solution? GM is paying for my rental (projected 30 days, a new roof, and a paint job that had better match!)