CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C3 General (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c3-general-119/)
-   -   Any PA guys have antique license plate? (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c3-general/1371647-any-pa-guys-have-antique-license-plate.html)

CF6873 04-21-2006 06:00 PM

Any PA guys have antique license plate?

My 73 restoration is nearing completion and I'm thinking about registration. I have classic tags on my 68 and must get an annual state inspection which is a PITA. I'm thinking about antique tags for the 73. I've heard there are many more driving restrictions such as can't drive after dark. Do any of you have antique tags and if so have you had any problems with the restrictions? Thanks, Craig

SULLY_PA 04-21-2006 06:33 PM

I have em' and havent had any problems as of yet. It's great cause of no inspections and it's lifetime. You can technically drive it one day a week for pleasure....whatever day I get stopped that will be the one day. ;) .... The night thing I'm not to worried about...I mostly drive during the day but if I get pulled over at night I doubt a cop will ticket me...Guess I'll see when the time come's. My insurance covers me for 5000 miles a year thats all i worry about....

crazywelder 04-21-2006 06:40 PM

Sorry I'm in Michigan, but I used to buy historic plates and I never had any problems driving anytime I wanted. Check if PA has the option of "correct year" plates. I switched to them years ago, there are no restrictions, and in Michigan where we don't have vehicle inspections, they are a lifetime plate (no renewal) whereas historic plates need renewal.:cheers:

troy1m 04-21-2006 08:02 PM

I took mine off everyone thought it referred to the driver.

70Donnybrooke 04-21-2006 10:23 PM

I have antique plates on mine. Pennsylvania never updates anything. The no driving after dark thing was for old cars with a 6 volt system. They state that you are only to use the car going to a show or club event. They are not to be used for daily transportation. You will really only have a problem if someone would report you. I have had mine for 9 years with no problems. I have the purple plate which they do not issue anymore. The new plates have a model T ford on them.

frostbitten09 04-21-2006 10:28 PM

Got them on my 78, This is going to be my dd to school, work, and just driving around. No emissions or inspection for life, thats pefect..... I have the model t newer plat, its pretty nice looking too.:flag:

SULLY_PA 04-21-2006 10:44 PM

I found some info from the site

USE OF ANTIQUE AND CLASSIC REGISTRATION PLATES

The use of antique and classic plates is governed by Section 1340 of the Pennsylvania Vehicle Code which states: “It is
unlawful for any person to operate a motorcycle or vehicle with antique and classic registration plates for general daily
transportation. Permitted use shall be limited to participation in club activities, exhibits, tours, parades, occasional
transportation and similar uses.Occasional transportation and similar uses is defined as one day a week.

Scottys78 04-21-2006 11:30 PM

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a3...8/IM000250.jpg
Classic is the way to go:thumbs:

Scottys78 04-21-2006 11:31 PM

Originally Posted by SULLY_PA

The use of antique and classic plates is governed by Section 1340 of the Pennsylvania Vehicle Code which states: “It is
unlawful for any person to operate a motorcycle or vehicle with antique and classic registration plates for general daily
transportation. Permitted use shall be limited to participation in club activities, exhibits, tours, parades, occasional
transportation and similar uses.Occasional transportation and similar uses is defined as one day a week.

How would anyone be able to enforce 1 day a week:rolleyes:

SULLY_PA 04-21-2006 11:38 PM

:iagree: I hear ya'.... Gotta love it:D

Greenwood79 04-22-2006 05:03 AM

I went another way with this.....I thought about the classic plates for quite sometime..Decided that I wanted a personal plate...In PA., you cannot get a classic personalized plate..it's one or the other.....

Also, after much discussion with corvette friends, the thought was that , even though I work on my car myself (to a limited extent), once a year at the shop can be a GOOD THING..just to make sure all is ok...so, I eat the cost every year, but for me anyway, I have a comfort feeling that all was checked thoroughly..(I've known my mechanic for years now and trust his judgement explicity)....Just another take on the question..

BTW..Scotty....ever come to any cruises or shows in the MEDIA, PA. area?

Andy

Jughead 04-22-2006 05:55 AM

I have PA antique plates too. No inspections is good BUT you are responsible for the proper operation and safety of YOUR vehicle.

I use my vette for pleasure only, car cruises, shows, burnin rubber :rofl:

73 Survivor 04-22-2006 08:11 AM

I have antique tags and I drive mine on weekends and at night and have never had a problem. I think if you would drive it every day you might get busted.

Crab 04-22-2006 08:41 AM

Originally Posted by Greenwood79
I went another way with this.....I thought about the classic plates for quite sometime..Decided that I wanted a personal plate...In PA., you cannot get a classic personalized plate..it's one or the other.....

Also, after much discussion with corvette friends, the thought was that , even though I work on my car myself (to a limited extent), once a year at the shop can be a GOOD THING..just to make sure all is ok...so, I eat the cost every year, but for me anyway, I have a comfort feeling that all was checked thoroughly..(I've known my mechanic for years now and trust his judgement explicity)....Just another take on the question..

Andy

:iagree: Just a little peace of mind knowing that Ron & Ron jr my mechanics go over my car at inspection time top to bottom. Brakes on these always scare me and these guys check the entire system including bleeding the brakes and check for leaks not only the pads for wear. So I got the classics:yesnod:

Corvette ED 04-22-2006 09:29 AM

I have classic plates on my 75 and I drive it everyday in the summer. Never been stopped yet. I think the police could care less and have better things to do than enforce a one day a week rule.

gator79 04-22-2006 09:36 AM

Originally Posted by frostbitten09
Got them on my 78, This is going to be my dd to school, work, and just driving around. No emissions or inspection for life, thats pefect..... I have the model t newer plat, its pretty nice looking too.:flag:

:nono:

70Donnybrooke 04-22-2006 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by gator79
:nono:

:iagree:

frostbitten09 04-22-2006 04:36 PM

Originally Posted by SULLY_PA

how can they prove this that you drove yoru car more then one day aweek. It would be that cops word against yours, and you could fight saying that cop just doesnt like the fact you have a vette... They cant honestly inforce that..... They woudlnt have that much proof would they?

SULLY_PA 04-22-2006 04:58 PM

I guess not ...Unless the cop saw you drive by a few days in a row...for the weekender I don't think it would ever be a problem.....If your a daily driver... dont drive by cops a lot....then it probably wont be either....

SULLY_PA 04-22-2006 05:00 PM

Originally Posted by Corvette ED
I have classic plates on my 75 and I drive it everyday in the summer. Never been stopped yet. I think the police could care less and have better things to do than enforce a one day a week rule.

:iagree: classic or antique.