CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C4 General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c4-general-discussion-34/)
-   -   CTSY/CLK Fuse keeps blowing (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c4-general-discussion/1369636-ctsy-clk-fuse-keeps-blowing.html)

Leon10003 04-19-2006 05:50 PM

CTSY/CLK Fuse keeps blowing

Hello all:

I have just incountered a new problem in which I require your help with.

The CTSY/CLK (15 Amp Fuse) keeps blowing on an 85 Corvette.

I have replaced it 4 times and it keeps blowing.

I can't seem to locate the cause?

Has anyone else had the same problem?

Can anyone suggest a fix?

Thanks,

Leon :crazy:

mk842766 04-19-2006 07:13 PM

Been there, done that...

On mine, it was the pink/white wire that ran over to the driver's side door. Finally found the culprit by tearing out the dash, and tracing the wire....turned out to be a spot where the wire insulation was rubbed off, causing a short.....it turned out to be right behind the info center, just above the radio, but you couldn't see the wires until you took the entire dash out....Good Luck!!!!:willy: :willy: :willy:

Leon10003 04-19-2006 07:22 PM

Thanks Man!

So it was a short........

I will see if I can locate my problem.

:)

kittmaster 04-19-2006 07:34 PM

Originally Posted by Leon10003
Hello all:

I have just incountered a new problem in which I require your help with.

The CTSY/CLK (15 Amp Fuse) keeps blowing on an 85 Corvette.

I have replaced it 4 times and it keeps blowing.

I can't seem to locate the cause?

Has anyone else had the same problem?

Can anyone suggest a fix?

Thanks,

Leon :crazy:

Make sure there is no loose change falling into the cigarette lighter shaft

jfb 04-19-2006 09:50 PM

Check the hot wire going to the cigarette lighter that it isn't pinched or insulation abraded and touching ground.

bogus 04-20-2006 12:27 AM

I had a case where the screw that retains the door light had come loose and was grounding out against the bulb.

CentralCoaster 04-20-2006 01:37 AM

This is the circuit that most people tap into for aftermarket stereos and alarms. That'd be my first place to check.

Replacing the fuse will not fix it. And don't under any circumstances put a bigger fuse in.

Does it blow instantly? If it doesn't it'll be easier to diagnose.. unhook the battery ground and put a ampmeter between the cable and the battery post. Then start unplugging **** in the car until the amps drop down.

Leon10003 04-20-2006 06:24 PM

When I attempt to replace the 15 amp fuse, it sparks out and blows.

If I disconnect the negative battery cable, insert the new fuse and re-connect the negative battery cable it is ok for a little while.

One time I closed the hood and the fuse blew.

Another time i drove down the street and the fuse blew.

:eek:

Leon10003 04-20-2006 11:06 PM

Still having no luck with this situation.

:sadangel:

CentralCoaster 04-21-2006 12:34 AM

Do you have an aftermarket stereo or alarm? If so, disconnect them.

Electrical shorts take lots of patience and diligence.

Demonic85 04-21-2006 01:47 AM

This fuse kept blowing with my aftermarket stereo so I put the original back in. No more blown fuses.

AGENT 86 04-21-2006 08:28 AM

This may help trace the problem. It's from my 86 but should be similar to the 85. http://members.shaw.ca/agent86/Clk-Ctsy%20Fuse.pdf

morgan_kane 04-21-2006 08:34 AM

Originally Posted by Leon10003
When I attempt to replace the 15 amp fuse, it sparks out and blows.

If I disconnect the negative battery cable, insert the new fuse and re-connect the negative battery cable it is ok for a little while.

One time I closed the hood and the fuse blew.

Another time i drove down the street and the fuse blew.

:eek:

Hood lights are also behind this fuse. So, maybe one of the hood light cables are broken, and closing hood makes short circuit. Check two wires coming from both of the lights to front of car, there are connectors near headlights.

thebeerman 04-21-2006 02:34 PM

:iagree: I bet you will find that someone tied in a hot wire to that fuse panel (look for a strand of wire stripped on the end that is shoved into the fuse box front or back), or that some one tapped the cigarette lighter hot lead for power to the stereo and it is shorting out (is it an aftermarket stereo? If so, pull it out and check the power inputs for bad connections, and wiring for fraying).

mzamora21 08-22-2016 06:56 PM

Same Fuse CTSY/CLK blow out every time I open the switch

I have a similar issue so I disconnected the radio the boxes that control the AC and Heat also I check the lighter everything work fine until I open the switch and I can hear the fuse to blown also I disconnected the courtesy light I do not know what else can I disconnected
Any suggestion will thankful.

Cliff Harris 08-23-2016 03:37 AM

The CTSY/CLK fuse supplies power to basically everything that works when the ignition is off. That would be all the interior lights, underwood lights and the antenna. The problem is that the circuit goes to so many places that it is hard to isolate them except by unplugging things one by one.

WVZR-1 08-23-2016 06:57 AM

Originally Posted by mzamora21 (Post 1592902702)
I have a similar issue so I disconnected the radio the boxes that control the AC and Heat also I check the lighter everything work fine until I open the switch and I can hear the fuse to blown also I disconnected the courtesy light I do not know what else can I disconnected
Any suggestion will thankful.

Mention maybe the year of your car for starters. You mention "opening switch" - explain!

You might consider maybe starting a NEW THREAD or just search the C4 Community from here for CTSY/CLK

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-1984-1996-19/

Use the SEARCH THIS FORUM "button" above THREADS/POSTS - that will keep your search in the C4 Community. There's 9+ pages and I'd think you'll find the year and a solution maybe. Year will matter.

Hot Rod Roy 08-23-2016 05:52 PM

Here's a trick I've used when searching for a short circuit. It'll save you a bucket full of fuses!

Solder two wires to an old (but good) headlight bulb. Solder these two wires to the two little tabs on the top of a blown out fuse. Plug this fuse into the offending circuit. Most things will work just fine with this thing plugged in, but when you get a short, the headlight will shine, but nothing will smoke or spark!

:cool:

PatternDayTrader 08-24-2016 06:45 AM

Originally Posted by kittmaster (Post 1554949967)
Make sure there is no loose change falling into the cigarette lighter shaft

:iagree:

A coin in the lighter socket is the most likely cause of a blown ctsy fuse ....

ijakie1 08-23-2022 07:17 PM

Originally Posted by agent 86 (Post 1554970225)
this may help trace the problem. It's from my 86 but should be similar to the 85. http://members.shaw.ca/agent86/clk-ctsy%20fuse.pdf

error:members webspace has been retired. Now what!!!