CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C1 & C2 Corvettes for Sale/Wanted (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c1-and-c2-corvettes-for-sale-wanted-58/)
-   -   1967 327/300 For sale again (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c1-and-c2-corvettes-for-sale-wanted/1315484-1967-327-300-for-sale-again.html)

donna15 02-27-2006 10:00 PM

I did not know he put it in Hemmings ... I do not even know what Hemmings was ... I also am done with this and wish him well . I must agree with you here that the 60K price was good and he should have taken it but I guess he wants to get as much as he can and the BJ price may have got him thinking that that was the new value or benchmark .

Donna15 and the seller one in the sam
and no I am not the seller just someone who was trying to help him like all of you .

Kensmith 02-28-2006 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by RGGregory
I don't get it. This gentleman's friend comes to one of the best sources for information on how to get a fair, accurate price for his car in the least painful, most educated way possible. But, as this saga continues ad infinitum (or is it ad nauseum? :D ), I'm starting to get the distinct impression that the seller doesn't want to hear the opinions, and that he's trying to glean information that somehow supports 79.9K, etc..so, I'm done trying to contribute in positive manner to this abortion of a sales process (no offense to Donna15).

Also, as I re-read all these posts I see Donna15 slipping in and out of various persons (english) and pronouns..so are Donna15 and the seller one in the same??? Don't really care, but some of the posts give that impression.

Either way, I think that all that can be said has been said. Either the car is sold to a knowledgeable person at a fair price (59$k was VERY fair), or he gets a sucker with more money than brains to pay 79.9k, which is too much for anything but a multiple top-flight, documented from the cradle-to-current car!

There endth the rant! :cheers:

Ok, now this is getting interesting. I tried to send Donna15 an email. She does not accept email from this forum. I checked the Hemmings ad and the guy selling the Corvette has an email address which means he has internet access. So he can place an ad in Hemmings which Donna15 knows nothing about yet she/he can't place an ad on the forum? Hum................something seems a little fishy. :toetap:

donna15 02-28-2006 11:55 AM

Kensmith you can PM me here ...

Kensmith 02-28-2006 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by donna15
Kensmith you can PM me here ...

Donna,

I don't want to pm you......I can't afford the car. Just fishing. :thumbs:

donna15 02-28-2006 12:57 PM

No problem , again I was just trying to help the guy and I have learned a lot about old Vettes so it is all good . I do not blame him for wanting to get the highest price he can , he took a top car from Greg and made it much nicer than what Greg sent him . Greg may sell nice cars but from what I saw Gregs cars can be made to be much better and that is what this guy did becuase he is meticulas and wanted the car to be perfect and what Greg sent was a not perfect car and now it is .

Now that the car is in much better condition than what he got from Greg it should be worth a little more than what he paid Greg that only seems fair , I guess it is just finding the right buyer and someone who will appreciate the deal of the car . Anything that could be done to make the car better than what Greg sent was done and there were many things . I am sure some of you know what I am talking about and know that a car from Greg can be made even better .

vintagecorvette 02-28-2006 01:16 PM

That is the biggest fallacy.

Just because you dump more in, does not mean it is worth more.

If that was the case we all would make money when we sell our cars. Tell your friend that they should wake up and really see the market as it is.

oWEN

PS I would love to see this thread die. :beatdeadhorse: :beatdeadhorse: :beatdeadhorse:

donna15 02-28-2006 01:54 PM

Why are people here so against people holding out for as much as they can for a their car ?

67435animal 02-28-2006 02:00 PM

Why are people here so against people holding out for as much as they can for a their car ?

No one. Any car can be improved. However, whether the improvements as perceived by the seller are perceived as improvements by the buyer is another matter.

All the things that your neighbor has done detract from the value of a car that is priced like it is a Bloomington Gold car. He is 20K plus above the market value of the car.

He will wait a long time to get his price. And, I suspect that his ad has generated little or no interest because his price is totally unrealistic.

You know what I think and I am not going to repeat what I have previously posted. It seems to me that your neighbor chooses not to listen and possibly lives in a dream world.

RGGregory 02-28-2006 03:00 PM

Like Animal said, no one is against it..it's the basis for our economy. However, basic economic theory is such that your market interest or lack thereof will dictate the price point. Thus, little interest = too high a price. It's a beautiful car, no one disputes that. Anyone of us would be proud to own it. However, your friend has entered in a high-price realm where 99% of anyone with the money and interest typically has the knowledge and is educated on what the right value (notice I didn't say price) is for that car. And, if they don't know, they sure know how to hire some to assist them in that determination (i.e., a third-party, NCRS-type inspector or evaluator). Thus, the high the price, the more likely a smart buyer will the one looking at it. What you really need is for someone to feature a midyear in a hip-hop video, then he can get some wannabe to fork out 79.9k, maybe even a 100$k if you put 24's on it. :D

My guess, and I may be wrong, is that your friend, as you have stated, didn't know much about the real important points and details of a high-priced midyear, and payed a lot for the car, above its "value," as a result of his inexperience. Now, it appears, he's trying to make a killing on the car (I hope a killing and he didn't pay north of 50$k a year or go or more), and can't understand why the smarter foxes in the henhouse aren't biting.

Also, there is an axiom in engineering where you pay a disproportionate amount to get the last 10% of performance from a system. If you apply this to your friend and his car, he paid or put far more than he should have to get that last 10% of perfection, fit-and-finish, whatever you want to call it. That last 10%, and he doesn't have the true last 10%, doesn't justify 79.9$k.

Good luck to him; maybe he's the patient type.

So much for not weighing in on this...doh :eek:

C2IT 02-28-2006 03:02 PM

I'm sure no one here is against that. :flag:
They're just telling the you that $59,000 is as much as he can get in the current market for that particular Corvette. What your friend paid for it, or what he spent on it is irrelevant. :smash:

Tim Gilmore 02-28-2006 05:44 PM

I think fair market value for this car is in the $48,000 to $50,000 range. It's a base motor automatic that is not restored to factory original. It has no judging credentials and may not have any documentation. We're assuming it is the original engine, but no one really knows for sure. The Barrett Jackson cars should not be used as comparison, these cars were hauled out by the seller to the tune of many thousands of dollars, the seller took the risk of selling below market and some did. The Proteam cars are not comparable cars. The ones noted are 327/350 horse four speed cars. Proteam is a dealer that has high, extremely high interest and advertising fees along with the availability of a large showroom and financing. Their cars are marked up over retail due to this. You are not at Barrett Jackson or at Proteam, your car is worth $50,000 maximum on a good day. Please understand that I like it, Sunfire yellow is my favorite color and I don't mind a powerglide. For it to be worth $80,000 it would need to be a four speed, restored to the hilt with NCRS Top Flight ribbons hanging from the rear view mirror and Bloomington Gold certificates covering the seat. I have a red/red 350 horse four speed '66 roadster with a window sticker, 29,000 original miles and a recent Top Flight score at Waco of 96.5% and it would be gone by sunset if someone offered me $80,000, heck, it would be gone if someone offered me $75,000. I'm sorry, but the two cars are not comparable in value even though the yellow car has air conditioning and it's a '67. The owner should take the $50,000 and move on if offered.

donna15 02-28-2006 05:54 PM

good post Tim :thumbs: .............. the BJ thing is what gets people going about value and as you say it is not a real indicator .

provette67 02-28-2006 06:00 PM

Originally Posted by vintagecorvette
That is the biggest fallacy.

Just because you dump more in, does not mean it is worth more.

If that was the case we all would make money when we sell our cars. Tell your friend that they should wake up and really see the market as it is.

oWEN

PS I would love to see this thread die. :beatdeadhorse: :beatdeadhorse: :beatdeadhorse:

:iagree: :iagree: :iagree:

crw41 02-28-2006 08:35 PM

I propose a CF membership donation fund drive to buy this car, just so we can END this painful thread once and for all! It would be worth the $79K.

RGGregory 02-28-2006 09:15 PM

Originally Posted by crw41
I propose a CF membership donation fund drive to buy this car, just so we can END this painful thread once and for all! It would be worth the $79K.

Ok, let's start with your money first :D

Donna15 - how about your friend actually pay us a visit and tell us in his own words what his basis is for his fond dreaming...try to get him to see reality or I'd just stop trying to help.

67435animal 03-01-2006 04:21 AM

Originally Posted by RGGregory
Ok, let's start with your money first :D

Donna15 - how about your friend actually pay us a visit and tell us in his own words what his basis is for his fond dreaming...try to get him to see reality or I'd just stop trying to help.

Here's more reality:

$ 48,000 1967 Chevrolet Corvette Milton, MA
CHEVROLET: 1967 Corvette Restored Stingray 327/300, Powerglide,White with black convertible top and black interior. Engine bay, interior, and undercarriage extremely detailed. Orignal door panels, dash and seat belts in excellent condition. Paint in very nice shape with a few small touch ups. Sidepipes, Protecto-Plate, documentation, original manuals, complete engine and tranny rebuild 500 miles ago. Power steering, manual brakes. Car never hit and very straight. Reproduction knockoff wheels and new radial redlines. Title shows 43000 orginal miles but cannot verify. An excellent driver! $48,000 obo Contact: 508-479-9445, dwcomstock@earthlink.net, MA

Same basic car, porbably not quite as nice; some documentation. Priced realistically in Hemmings.

Another in the same column:

$ 54,900 1967 Chevrolet Corvette Atlanta, GA
click for more Vehicles: Color code correct paint and interior, Ermine white paint, red leather interior, numbers matching 327/300hp engine, Powerglide auto transmission, posi rear-end, power steering, Original shielding, excellent chrome/stainless, rally wheels, radial redline tires, new interior including: leather seats, carpet, and door panels. Free Warranty $54,900 or 15% down payment as low as $812/month W.A.C. 1

Buyers will look at your friend's price versus these two. Who is the buyer going to call? Not your friend because he is way above market.

OK, shutting up!

crw41 03-01-2006 07:17 AM

You guys just don't understand. It's the Reaganomics of the millenium, better know as "Michaelinomics." :crazy:

Add 20% to the price of your item every 3 months.

At the end of each year, offer a discount of 10%.

People will buy your product for much more than it is really worth and at the same time, think they got a deal. :yesnod:

You have got to admit - love him, hate him, trust him or not - considering that his business is less than 20 years old and it is the giant that it is - he is a great busninessman.

Could the apocolypse be coming? TM/Hilliary in 2008 :willy:

http://img471.imageshack.us/img471/3...shotgun9ad.jpg

donna15 03-01-2006 07:53 AM

Again I do not think he is in a big rush to sell and has one of the nicest 67 Vette in the country so he is just trying to get what he thinks it is worth . I think he will get between 65 and 70 if he finds the right buyer the trick is finding the right buyer that wants that car and no other car .

http://www.hemmings.com/index.cfm/fu...cle_id/223855/ 82.5K his is as nice as this one ... his is complete body off restoration, all code correct and numbers matching, just does not have 4 speed ... seems he may have a high price but not an unrealistic price

If Greg can sell these cars for in the 60's and they need work can the person who buys a car from Greg not get more for it after all the work is done ?

Seaside63 03-01-2006 10:47 AM

It sounds like the owner of this '67 is just plain stupid.

He probably paid too much for the car to start, then paid too much for work to be performed on it because he has no clue how to do it himself nor how to find the right place to do the work, then he's too stupid to even know what he's got and too stupid to even figure out what people are telling him is important and still too stupid to respond with the proper information to support his desire to attract the "right" buyer.

In this case it appears that he considers the "right" buyer to be a bigger fool than he is.

Should the market reward him for his stupidity?

In the meantime he can hold the car for another 10 years and hope it reaches his lofty goal or he can learn what the market expects and meet those expectations.

If the market rewards cars that have judged well by NCRS or Bloomington Gold then it may be in his interest to present the car to those bodies for their evaluation.

donna15 03-01-2006 11:19 AM

His car is as nice as http://www.hemmings.com/index.cfm/f...icle_id/223855/ and I do not see people saying this add is stupid . If Greg sends him a car with chips in the paint ( and many more problems )and he has them fixed by one of the best paint guys in the country that is not stupid .. what would have been stupid was for him to atempt fixing paint problems that Greg sent him himself along with many other problems he resolved that Greg laid on him . Now whoever buys his car will not have to deal with problems that Greg ( the was suposadly one of the top Vette resellers ) laid on him and have yhe car it could have and should have been .