CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C1 & C2 Corvettes (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c1-and-c2-corvettes-4/)
-   -   The best bonding adhesive to use (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c1-and-c2-corvettes/1305055-the-best-bonding-adhesive-to-use.html)

longbros 02-09-2006 05:27 PM

The best bonding adhesive to use

Fifteen years ago, when I made extensive fiberglass repairs to a 1970 Corvette, I used a bonding adhesive called "Super Corvette Fill & Bonding Adhesive. This product was marketed by The Corvette Shop in Southfield, Mich. It was great stuff, easy to use, and could be used as a surface filler also. Does anyone know if this product is still available, perhaps through another supplier, and if not, what bonding adhesive do you recommend?
Fred

Scott Marzahl 02-09-2006 05:36 PM

Have you looked for the Evercoat products

Most local autobody supply shops carry the Evercoat Corvette Bonding adhesives, one product for fiberglass and another adhesive for SMC panels. Ecklers and Corvette Image both sell bonding adhesives. The next step up is the Lord Fusor bonding products which most supply shops carry too, a lot more spendy and the gun costs like $40 by itself.

longbros 02-09-2006 05:47 PM

Originally Posted by Scott Marzahl
Most local autobody supply shops carry the Evercoat Corvette Bonding adhesives, one product for fiberglass and another adhesive for SMC panels. Ecklers and Corvette Image both sell bonding adhesives. The next step up is the Lord Fusor bonding products which most supply shops carry too, a lot more spendy and the gun costs like $40 by itself.

I looked for Evercoat, but see now that I was not spelling correctly. I will try again. The one thing I liked about the product I used before, is that they also recommended it for filling. I think Ecklers bonding adhesive is not recommended for filling. The product I used before had great adhesive strength, and the product cured to a rock hard finish.

Scott Marzahl 02-09-2006 06:22 PM

Same holds true for Evercoat and

the Ecklers and the Corvette Image adhesives. They are all Polyester resin based products for fiberglass and are recommended for high build up areas. Evercoat also makes a filler just for Corvette fiberglass.

DansYellow66 02-10-2006 07:28 PM

I liked Ecklers better than Evercoat, but Evercoat seems a little less full-bodied and is useful for forcing between panel joints that have become un-bonded, to bond them again.

rponfick 02-10-2006 09:21 PM

Longbros, I just check the gallon of Vette Bond II bonding adhesive I just received from Corvette Central. The label on it states it is from the Corvette Shop, but out of some place in New York. It says it is for filling and bonding. :cheers:

vintagecorvette 02-11-2006 02:06 AM

I uesd Vette Bond, I am not sure if there was a number after the name, but either way the stuff stuck and stuck well. (bonded a hood back together).

oWEN

comp 02-11-2006 05:34 AM

:lurk: