CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C5 Tech (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-tech-1/)
-   -   Oil Filters for the LS1 (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-tech/1270388-oil-filters-for-the-ls1.html)

peter p 01-01-2006 05:55 PM

Oil Filters for the LS1

Anyone here use Baldwin Oil Filters? ...they are supposed to be top notch, well made, and excellent. Size for the LS1 is a B31.

mnotx 01-01-2006 06:10 PM

Howdy, Peter!

I've been using the Baldwin B31 for a year or two. I noticed a small increase in oil pressure (on the gauge) across the board when I switched from the UPF to the Baldwin. The Baldwin appears to be a little less restrictive.

I have my oil analyzed yearly. Haven't noticed anything really different. All in all, I am quite satisfied with the Baldwin.

KHM_70 01-01-2006 06:11 PM

I use a K&N. . .

http://www.kandn.com/images/l/HP-1007.jpg

chriswtx 01-01-2006 06:44 PM

I like the NAPA Gold oil filters. They are made by WIX and are top notch... :thumbs:

MagikDraggin 01-01-2006 07:03 PM

Originally Posted by chriswtx
I like the NAPA Gold oil filters. They are made by WIX and are top notch... :thumbs:

:iagree:
AND the price is right, too.

arkansascorvette 01-01-2006 07:08 PM

oil filters

I'll third that for the NAPA gold, however O'Reillys auto parts carry the WIX filters for a buck less than NAPA

Dave68 01-01-2006 07:15 PM

The K&N and Baldwin are both excellent filters. Both exhibit low pressure drop despite very good filtering qualities.

RTSVET 01-01-2006 07:44 PM

I use the mobile one filter.

Patman 01-01-2006 08:01 PM

I'm very happy with the results I've gotten with the K&N oil filter. This filter combined with German Castrol 0w30 has given me the lowest engine wear of any LS1 (according to oil analysis results I've gotten compared to any others I've seen posted on the net anywhere, nobody else has come close to my numbers)

As an example, here is a sample of my engine wear numbers on my last interval, which was 8000 miles:

Iron-9
Lead-4
Aluminum-3
Copper-3
Chromium-0
Nickel-0
Tin-0
Silver-0

I know that the high flow ability of the K&N oil filter is partially responsible for my low wear numbers. In hard driven applications, high flow is more critical than super fine filtering ability.

Alex D 01-01-2006 08:58 PM

I use Purolator PremiumPlus filters. Highest flow rating with best filtration combined. Read tests here:
www.oilfilterstudy.com

Take a look at the link to the Grease oil filter study spreadsheet to see media flow rates and filtration efficiency.

The filters in this test are the old style SB Chevy filters used on Mercruiser stern drive engines (Basically all Chevy SB engines. I have a 260HP 5.0 MPI in my 24 ft. express cruiser), but the flow and filtrations rates are similar all filters since the same materials are used, so the comparison is valid.

I also use a tall filter even though it sticks out a couple of inches below the oil pan.

Dustie 01-01-2006 09:03 PM

oil filters

Did a little research and for filtering and flow the Baldwin seemed one of the best. Construction also considered good.

:cheers:

rws.1 01-02-2006 12:31 AM

Mobil 1 extended life or K&N used here

1FUNVTT 01-02-2006 01:33 AM

I run Baldwin B31 OF for about 2 years and I had no problems. I've been told they're less restrictive... hoping they're correct; only have 11,000 miles :rolleyes:

Mr. Lucky 01-02-2006 12:54 PM

I use Baldwin B31s exclusively. Buy 'em by the case here. :thumbs:

The OEM filters are fine, but they were designed for the lowest common denominator -- the type of person who never changes the oil unless the car happens to be in for some other service. IOW... excellent, long-lasting filtration properties, but not so good flow characteristics. For the typical enthusiast (i.e., the type of person who hangs out here), there are better-flowing choices, primarily the K&N and Baldwin as mentioned by Dave68.

The oil study results (see link provided by Alex D) figured heavily in my decision. Even with benefit of this study though, it still comes down to personal recommendation and preference IMO. Reason being, that the oil study does not define terms such as "average," above average" or "good." Without knowledge of the "average" result (is it good, great, or lousy?), it's difficult to know with certainty which ones are quantitatively superior.

SlideRulz 01-02-2006 01:07 PM

I've been using both air and oil filters from Baldwin for over a year now.
Seem to do a good job.

peter p 01-02-2006 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by Mr. Lucky
I use Baldwin B31s exclusively. Buy 'em by the case here. :thumbs:

The OEM filters are fine, but they were designed for the lowest common denominator -- the type of person who never changes the oil unless the car happens to be in for some other service. IOW... excellent, long-lasting filtration properties, but not so good flow characteristics. For the typical enthusiast (i.e., the type of person who hangs out here), there are better-flowing choices, primarily the K&N and Baldwin as mentioned by Dave68.

The oil study results (see link provided by Alex D) figured heavily in my decision. Even with benefit of this study though, it still comes down to personal recommendation and preference IMO. Reason being, that the oil study does not define terms such as "average," above average" or "good." Without knowledge of the "average" result (is it good, great, or lousy?), it's difficult to know with certainty which ones are quantitatively superior.

Thanks for the link :thumbs:

Anyone know what size wrench cap will fit on the B31 to take it off?

Moval49er 01-02-2006 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by Alex D
I also use a tall filter even though it sticks out a couple of inches below the oil pan.

First, thanks a million for the link and advice - the Purolater sounds great - but do they have it in the standard C5 length? I personally know of one C5 that bottomed on the filter, tore it open and suffered engine damage (and tow truck damage :eek: ).

NVG. :(

Be careful with that long filter.

KnightRider02 01-02-2006 03:10 PM

I just began using mobile 1 filters in my ride and I am happy with them.

edensknight 01-02-2006 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by Dave68
The K&N and Baldwin are both excellent filters. Both exhibit low pressure drop despite very good filtering qualities.

:iagree: :thumbs: :cheers:

blktie8 01-02-2006 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by chriswtx

Napa or amsoil filters to go with 10-30 amsoil