CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C5 General (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-general-103/)
-   -   Will Fix-A-Flat damage tire pressure sensors (tires are not run-flats) (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-general/1244571-will-fix-a-flat-damage-tire-pressure-sensors-tires-are-not-run-flats.html)

dascar 11-28-2005 10:28 AM

Will Fix-A-Flat damage tire pressure sensors (tires are not run-flats)

I'm running Continental ContiExtreme tires on my 01 coupe and am wondering if I did get a flat and added a can of Fix-A-Flat to get me home, would it ruin the tire pressure sensor? If so, how much are those to replace compared to a $300 tow-truck?

Grumpy 11-28-2005 10:45 AM

more than likely..

FASTAZU 11-28-2005 11:31 AM

Yes..

Just carry a plug kit and a small compressor. When you get to your destination have the tire patched from the inside.

wamara 11-28-2005 11:45 AM

Most will ruin the sensor, but the TireRack sells some that it claims will not damage the sensor.

BubblePuppy 11-28-2005 12:01 PM

Go to the Tire Rack web site and look up the Continental Tire ContiComfortKit...they say it will not damage the sensors.

talon90 11-28-2005 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by BubblePuppy
Go to the Tire Rack web site and look up the Continental Tire ContiComfortKit...they say it will not damage the sensors.

:iagree: Everything that I have read about the "Fix-A-Flat" brand of tire sealant here on the forum says that it will get you home, but you will likely need new sensors when you are done. I am curious about this Conti kit. I've seen it on the tire rack and it says that it will not harm the sensors. I'm certainly not willing to try it as I have a '97 and the more expensive of the sensors.

Paul :cheers:

c5BlackBeauty 11-28-2005 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by talon90
:iagree: Everything that I have read about the "Fix-A-Flat" brand of tire sealant here on the forum says that it will get you home, but you will likely need new sensors when you are done. I am curious about this Conti kit. I've seen it on the tire rack and it says that it will not harm the sensors. I'm certainly not willing to try it as I have a '97 and the more expensive of the sensors.

Paul :cheers:

Thats right.....do a search and you'll pick up some info, but bottom line, sensors are shot after using.....

Vetteman Jack 11-28-2005 01:16 PM

I too have heard the fix-a-flat will damage the sensors. However, if the situation was bad enough, I would chance it.

c5chris 11-28-2005 01:35 PM

According to the Goodyear Tire Center I take my runflats to, "if taken to a tire shop immediately, they may be able to save your sensor."

I had used fix a flat on my other car and the guys had cleaned up the tire and wheel insides that there is no residue of the substance left.

It gums up in the presence of O2, I wonder if Nitrogen will react to it? My local Americas Tire and Costco use Nitrogen in all their jobs now.

Hopefully somebody can shed some light on this.

c5chris 11-28-2005 01:39 PM

Originally Posted by dascar
I'm running Continental ContiExtreme tires on my 01 coupe and am wondering if I did get a flat and added a can of Fix-A-Flat to get me home, would it ruin the tire pressure sensor? If so, how much are those to replace compared to a $300 tow-truck?

Get the Autoclub PLUS card. I had upgraded my 5-mile tow to 80 miles free towing. It is worth the money the first time you get stranded and need a flatbed. :yesnod:

Glennm27 11-28-2005 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by We Gone
Yes..

Just carry a plug kit and a small compressor. When you get to your destination have the tire patched from the inside.

This is what I have done PLUS I carried a can of fix a flat. You never know the circumstance you may end up in and it may very well be worth it to use the fix a flat and replace the sensor in some cases.

Also, the fix a flat will not destroy the sensor, just gunk it up to the point where you will have to get in there and clean it up thoroughly.

You'd have to go in there anyway to repair the tire later anyway......

CoastalRAP 11-28-2005 02:33 PM

$300 tow truck? :eek: I’ve got AAA and get 100 miles of free towing, locksmith up to $100, free gas delivery if I run out and even discount movie tickets.

skip89 11-28-2005 02:33 PM

Yes it will most likely clog the sensor. You may be able to clean it out. There was a post here about that somewhere. I carry a new unused sensor along with my AAA card, cell, compressor, plug kit, tools, and some other stuff. After saying all that, I am looking to find ZO6 (C5) size runflats. Tired of chancing a flat or blowout... :)

silverstreak01 11-28-2005 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by CoastalRAP
$300 tow truck? :eek: I’ve got AAA and get 100 miles of free towing, locksmith up to $100, free gas delivery if I run out and even discount movie tickets.

:thumbs: I'm with you, but I've got double the coverage with the RV rider. :cheers: Only way to have a break down.

diyguy 11-28-2005 04:44 PM

I can't imagine how short term (less than 24 hours) use of fix-a-flat could totally ruin the sensor. :ack:

Seems once to a repair facility, take the sensor off the rim, R&R the stem, and blow some solvent through it, then a lot of air, repeat a few times, patch the tire, re-install the sensor, and be on your way. :thumbs:

I'm game enough to try that ANYDAY before I lay crouched on the side of some interstate with idiots zinging past me at 80 MPH+ or on some patch of crap road somewhere laying on my back wiggling around trying first trying to find the dang hole, then trying to plug it.

Way to much effort especially in adverse conditions (which always seems to be the case -- When have you had a 'convenient' flat tire incident) :confused:

Y2Kvert4me 11-28-2005 04:55 PM

The 01 and newer sensors cost a whopping $30 or so. In the event of a flat, that cost will seem pretty trivial.

A non-functioning sensor won't ever render your car disabled either....it's something (if it even does go bad) that you can fix at your convenience.

I carry a plug kit, small scissors jack, tools, and a small air compressor in the car, mostly just on long trips. Otherwise, around town, a can of fixaflat is all that's in the car.

:cheers:

hrcantrell 11-28-2005 04:55 PM

Tow in insurance

If you also have an RV, Good Sams will tow you as far as required for no extra charge, Cost is about 100 dollars a year and covers all RVs,
cars and trucks in family. Darn, not horse trailers!

Herringchoker 11-29-2005 03:20 PM

G.M. dealer will charge you $125.00, installed.