CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C6 Tech/Performance (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-tech-performance-101/)
-   -   DIY Cold Airbox Save $$$$ (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-tech-performance/1227440-diy-cold-airbox-save.html)

davidfarmer 02-07-2006 07:24 PM

no issues, runs great, nice clean cold air. Haven't really noticed throttle response, but I've put less than 500miles on the car the 6 months I've had it.

For what I'd charge, you might as well spend the big money on a honker :)

not08crmanymore 02-07-2006 09:11 PM

metal

What's the metal strip for??

davidfarmer 02-07-2006 09:30 PM

There is no way to get a good seal between the air boxes and the shroud without either taping it up, OR adding a fabricated shroud. I made an aluminum shroud for each side to seal off most of the area between the air boxes and the shroud. With a little foam added to the spots that need them, I should now be able to get 99% of the airflow either to the radiators or the air intake.

Just painted it, and its now ready to put on for good.

69and88 02-09-2006 10:57 AM

How about using some weather stripping (car or home) rubber around the square cut out holes in the shroud to seal against the airfilters/airboxes? Wouldnt that work? Plus, once pressed around the edge of the cut shroud, it would hide any uneven or rough cuts! Have seen it at autoparts stores, JC Whitney has some with different profiles and attachment point shapes.

davidfarmer 02-09-2006 12:33 PM

It really doesn't need it now, as my final trimming and shaping is giving a good seal. I did put some foam around the bottom corners, but I'm pretty happy with the seal. Also, painted, it looks quite nice. I'll post better photos later.

btw, now that I have the airbox done and the Cat-back on (CORSA), I'll log some LTFT's and see if there are any issues.

R4BLUETICKS 02-10-2006 10:31 PM

What about driving in the rain?/ Would that be an issue??

shurite44 02-10-2006 10:38 PM

Looks like a really good CAI. A home made honker. :)

Bill Curlee 02-11-2006 08:34 AM

Originally Posted by R4BLUETICKS
What about driving in the rain?/ Would that be an issue??

I have a VARARAM on my C5 Z06. It is a daily driver and I do drive it in the rain. I have driven it in some really heavy down pours. The only issue that I had are a few DTC codes due to the ingestion of some rain water through the MAF. It gave me P0172 & 0175 Rich codes. I guessing it cause of the water. I didn't hit any deep puddles and that is the only time that I get these codes.

If you hit a really deep puddle, it could cause some issues. Just guessing though. If there wasn't a chance that there could be water ingestion GM would have made it that way in the first place. :lol:

If you make the change, you just have to know your limitations.

BC

davidfarmer 02-12-2006 09:22 AM

Ran at VIR in the monsoon yesterday, and while I did put the OEM box back on, just in case (got it for next to nothing on ebay), I left the hole open in the shroud. To my surprise, very little water came up into the engine compartment, leading me to think that it would be very hard to gulp enough water to actually damage anything. The day included one extrememly high speed off, when I hydroplaned off the track at about 100mph, and drove half the length of the front straight bouncing through the "lawn", and again, very little water made it up into the engine bay, even with the big hole cut in the shroud.

The DIY box will go back on today!

not08crmanymore 02-12-2006 10:37 AM

BRAkes

David,those stoptech brake setups fit the 05 z51's??

burtonbl103 02-12-2006 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by davidfarmer
Ran at VIR in the monsoon yesterday, and while I did put the OEM box back on, just in case (got it for next to nothing on ebay), I left the hole open in the shroud. To my surprise, very little water came up into the engine compartment, leading me to think that it would be very hard to gulp enough water to actually damage anything. The day included one extrememly high speed off, when I hydroplaned off the track at about 100mph, and drove half the length of the front straight bouncing through the "lawn", and again, very little water made it up into the engine bay, even with the big hole cut in the shroud.

The DIY box will go back on today!

I have heard this as well
That is why i put the LPE Cai on
It is near impossible to ingest water
unless you try to be a submarine commander ! :rofl:

Bill Curlee 02-12-2006 11:52 AM

Dave

What air filters are those that you are using on your new set-up?? Where did you get them and how much are they?

I admire all all of the cool ground breaking stuff your doing! :flag: Keep up the great work!

Racing in the rain!!! :eek: You got some HUGH nads!!!!!!!! Have fun and be safe! :flag:

Bill C

davidfarmer 02-12-2006 02:43 PM

I think my filters are Holley (they are blue), but I'm not sure. They came with the car. Personally, I think GREEN Filters are the best quality on the market.

Stoptechs will fit C6 wheels, IF you install longer studs. That is a PITA, but cheaper than getting new wheels.

The Clevite Kid 03-07-2006 12:56 PM

Hi David,

Some of us who admire your work are waiting for the final pictures of the DIY CAI. Thanx in advance,

davidfarmer 03-07-2006 02:09 PM

roger, will do. Looks much better painted. I'll shoot some today.

rawlitogut 03-07-2006 04:10 PM

Can you make a ramair?
Also you should take the screen out,if you havent already.

davidfarmer 03-07-2006 09:19 PM

http://www.davidfarmerracing.com/Img_7293.jpg
http://www.davidfarmerracing.com/Img_7294.jpg
http://www.davidfarmerracing.com/Img_7295.jpg

Bill Curlee 03-08-2006 12:12 AM

Yep,,,,,,,,,,,,Ide call that RAM AIR!!!!!!!! :thumbs: :D :smash:

Dave ROCKS!

BC

davidfarmer 03-08-2006 12:03 PM

More of a "cold air" since it is sharing air with the radiators, but cheap and effective nonetheless

mikeyc6 03-08-2006 01:47 PM

This is a great idea and I'm sure will help with getting cold air in. My only comment would be that in looking at the stock system, the biggest airflow restriction appears to be where the two airboxes connect to the main tube. At those points, the air tubes are pinched down to quite a small diameter and by just eyeballing them (meaning I admit I'm making an assumption), that pinch-down should create both turbulence and restriction. I think that's where a completely redesigned CAI might give you some additional benefit (an extra few horses maybe). None of the aftermarket CAI's have restricted pinched down areas like this and most of them flow straighter as well which should also improve flow.

My .02

:cheers:

Mike