CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-forced-induction-nitrous-86/)
-   -   Best clutch???????? (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-forced-induction-nitrous/1214705-best-clutch.html)

Rob1Vette 10-21-2005 10:25 AM

I guess I'm one of the lucky ones with the Exedy twin ! I installed myself and I've had no problems with it ! The pedal pressure is more than stock !

Rob

Wicked Weasel 10-21-2005 10:41 AM

I have the RPS clutch and have run it at the 1/4 mile, Pocono Raceway and Watkins Glen. I never had an issue with the clutch. Of course if I do I hope not to get bad Customer Service from them.

DDSLT5 10-21-2005 02:49 PM

I don't like stories of poor customer service! I'm back at the beginning - LPE says Exceedy, and my only other real choice is the Aussie clutch. I like that they have great customer service, but since LPE is doing the work, you simply can't beat their service level - and they are dealing with the clutch company. I'll go with what they say, and we'll see where the chips fall! :thumbs:

GeorgeZNJ 10-21-2005 03:23 PM

I know of three other local vette owners who I called and got their opinions on clutches. Then I talked to the owner of a very well known supercharging shop as well. On their say so I went with the rps single disk. After about 25miles ( the clutch felt great) the car got rear-ended. But it did feel fine and I really trust the opinions that I got from other vette owners(road racers/track racers/ roadcourse people). :thumbs:

Blue Lightening 10-21-2005 03:28 PM

I have had zero problems with my Excedy duel so far.

Wicked Weasel 10-21-2005 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by GeorgeZNJ
I know of three other local vette owners who I called and got their opinions on clutches. Then I talked to the owner of a very well known supercharging shop as well. On their say so I went with the rps single disk. After about 25miles ( the clutch felt great) the car got rear-ended. But it did feel fine and I really trust the opinions that I got from other vette owners(road racers/track racers/ roadcourse people). :thumbs:

George delete some of your PMs so I can send you one. :D

Bob

GeorgeZNJ 10-21-2005 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by Wicked Weasel
George delete some of your PMs so I can send you one. :D

Bob

oops

SS930 10-21-2005 10:20 PM

FWIW, I think my next clutch will be the Mcleod twin disk.

onfire 10-22-2005 07:25 PM

DDSLT5 I've had two Apexi boost controllers...both =:U

EBoost2 is working well.

The Apexi display gets so hot IMHO it burns something up in the electronics.

Good luck on the upgrade!

DDSLT5 10-22-2005 08:13 PM

Apparently HKS is now producing their boost controller again, and LPE loved their unit previously - so that is going onto my car. I'll let you know how it goes! :thumbs:

DDSLT5 10-22-2005 08:14 PM

Originally Posted by SS930

They are putting the excedy twin disc on - I'll let all know how it performs! :cheers:

houston-z06 10-22-2005 08:50 PM

Originally Posted by DDSLT5
They are putting the excedy twin disc on - I'll let all know how it performs! :cheers:

Please do as I have a Spec III right now and am looking for something more substantial for my car after the STS kit is up and running 10+ psi

thanks
Jason

DDSLT5 10-22-2005 09:53 PM

Originally Posted by houston-z06
Please do as I have a Spec III right now and am looking for something more substantial for my car after the STS kit is up and running 10+ psi

thanks
Jason

No problemo - I've also arranged for a ride in a 427 TT so as to assess the 'technical' differences. I'll report on that as well! :thumbs:

jbsblownc5 10-22-2005 11:33 PM

I've been running this clutch for 3 years now! It takes everything I can throw at it!!

When it starts to get worn, you can just send it to Mcloed for a rebuild...
:cheers:
JB

SS930 10-23-2005 12:35 AM

Originally Posted by jbsblownc5
I've been running this clutch for 3 years now! It takes everything I can throw at it!!

When it starts to get worn, you can just send it to Mcloed for a rebuild...
JB

Which disk facing are you using? :bigears

stc2002 10-24-2005 04:51 PM

My car has been a guinea pig for STC's ceramic/bronze setup and after 3000 miles in my H/C car I have been nothing short than thrilled with it. The pedal feel is not much harder than stock and I have had no slippage issues no matter how much I have abused it. Coming from my former Mcleod setup I am truely relieved to finally have a comfortable clutch that doesnt slip.

J.D.

kumar75150 10-24-2005 05:27 PM

Originally Posted by xlr8shn
RAM 980 VDS or RAM 910 VDS system with alum flywheel :cheers:

i had this for 2 years

never slipped once

but it basically made my car a pain to drive; i found myself wanting to drive a luxury car instead

switched to the Aussie and the car is a joy to drive again

not only is the peddle pressure different, but there is no chatter

jbsblownc5 10-25-2005 01:39 AM

Which disk facing are you using? :bigears

Kevlar!! holds up very well!!
JB

Crushinator 10-25-2005 07:27 AM

I let Chris and/or Doug at ECS make all those decisions for me. They tell me they're putting in an RPS single disk, and I don't argue. Chris has one in his 9 second C5 and said it's been flawless. Knowing Chris, he's not a "take the car out on Sundays only" either. I trust what he says. :yesnod:

supercoupe01 10-25-2005 09:18 AM

Originally Posted by DDSLT5

I have had the exedy twin for over a year in my car. Has about twenty hard launches at the track and 2,500 street miles on it. So far so good, but I don't make the power you FI guys make. :lol: :eek:
Great shifting clutch, has some chatter, but what aftermarket clutches don't.