CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C4 General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c4-general-discussion-34/)
-   -   Door mirror glass replacement? (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c4-general-discussion/1014123-door-mirror-glass-replacement.html)

Corvette Kid 02-12-2005 09:45 AM

Door mirror glass replacement?

Just noticed that my driver's side mirror has a crack down the middle and was wondering where would be the best place to get a replacement. It's not heated.

MrRenoman 02-12-2005 10:32 AM

You can buy replacement mirrors at Napa, Kragen, Pep Boys, etc. You might have to have them order it but they usually get stuff by the next day.

Art

redwing76 02-12-2005 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by Corvette Kid NC
Just noticed that my driver's side mirror has a crack down the middle and was wondering where would be the best place to get a replacement. It's not heated.

Auto glass shop.

corvette1989bham 02-13-2005 10:08 AM

How do you take the glass out of the mirror?

Corvette Kid 02-13-2005 10:47 AM

Originally Posted by corvette1989bham
How do you take the glass out of the mirror?

Since I posted this yesterday I've been told they're only about $15 brand new. To get them out you just pick out the pieces I guess. The replacement just sticks in place once it's ready.

Midnight 85 02-13-2005 10:54 AM

On my 85 I just gently pried the glass out with my fingers, it is attached to a trunnion. The trunnion is a small x shaped piece which allows the mirror to swivel. Gentle but steady pressure will get the glass to pop out of the trunnion. I don't know if replacement mirrors have the plate on the back of them that the trunnion pops into. If not then you will have to clean all the broken pieces off and glue the new piece back on. Maybe someone who is more knowledgable will give you a better answer.

Oly 02-13-2005 11:07 AM

Does anyone know if you can find these side mirror replacements with a dark tint to them? With the availability of the super bright headlights on newer vehicles, it gets annoying very quickly when they pull up behind you at a stoplight or stop sign. The taller the vehicle, the worse the problem. Having the 5% tint on the hatch helps with the light coming thru the hatch glass but there are times when the side mirrors reflect these headlights and they are like laser beams. It's a pain to keep adjusting them.

Glasman66 02-13-2005 11:10 AM

Originally Posted by Corvette Kid NC
Since I posted this yesterday I've been told they're only about $15 brand new. To get them out you just pick out the pieces I guess. The replacement just sticks in place once it's ready.

I've done this many times on customer's cars. If it is just the glass, break it all up and use a scraper and it will come out quite easy.

If you buy the one with the backing plate, warm the clip area with a heat gun or a blow drie and put a little lube on there, it will pop right one, I've forced them on and ended up buying anothe piece of glass.