CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C6 Corvette General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-general-discussion-74/)
-   -   Exactly why did you buy your Corvette? (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-general-discussion/3338434-exactly-why-did-you-buy-your-corvette.html)

Hameister 09-11-2013 11:20 AM

Exactly why did you buy your Corvette?

Be honest, why?

For me, it was the realization of a 5 decade dream.

Kids, college, mortgage payments, and practicality, took its toll for many years.

So, why would I buy it now, when I'm retired, with my track years behind me? Simple.

I could afford it, and I wanted to own a new Corvette before I died. I wanted a manual gearbox, because all my muscle cars, when I was younger, were stick, and I loved driving them.

I wanted to drive it, when I felt like driving it. I wanted to look at it in the garage, when I felt like looking at it. I wanted to detail it almost every weekend to keep it looking new, and get myself some exercise at the same time.

I took delivery Jan. 24th, 2013, and just turned 1,700 miles a few days ago. Probably will be driving it about 3,000 miles per year.

I will drive this beautiful machine, as long as I am able to fall into, and crawl out of it.

How about you? Why did you buy yours? Post a photo of yours as well. We're all proud of our cars!

http://i41.tinypic.com/2ccw3k5.jpg

Vette_DD 09-11-2013 11:24 AM

Because I'd only had 6 Vettes, and thought I needed at least 1 more.

Also because GM & my dealer made me a deal I couldn't refuse.

byte_me 09-11-2013 11:26 AM

One reason:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...ps50ed2856.jpg

:rock:

I have had several Vette's C4's, C5's and now this beauty!

I still have young kids, (2, and 7) so I have a regular vehicle as well...but, the time was right, the car was right and you only live once!

P.S. wife loves them as well- so that is a bonus!:thumbs:

CheckeredFlag 09-11-2013 12:03 PM

I sold my old muscle car ('70 Road Runner), and wanted to buy some newer Muscle, with the reliability of driving Coast to Coast- if I wanted to- without worrying if I might have a problem

So I started my search: knocked 2 things off my bucket list: A Corvette and a Convertible. I wanted some specific things on my first car, searched around for several months, and bought it.

JSB Convertible LT3 / LS3 w/Z51 option

Lots of good times !

MikeERWNC 09-11-2013 12:10 PM

I needed a new car for work. At 30mpg why not a Vette?

My next car will be one which requires less TLC to keep it dependable.

Seadawg 09-11-2013 12:18 PM

I wanted a daily driver that would get good gas mileage, be able to easily get out of the way of traffic, have a decent amount of storage space, go at least 200k miles before a major rebuild, and also be capable of taking to a race track.

The vette fits the bill perfectly :thumbs:

Kvothe 09-11-2013 12:18 PM

I bought mine because my wife finally talked me into it :lol: I'm a cheap SOB when it comes to myself but will do anything for my family.

But really it's because I've always loved Corvettes. I don't know why but for some reason they just light a fire in me. I love the look, the sound and the feeling of driving them. There's something magical about looking out over that hood and those fenders with an open road in front of you and the roar of the exhaust in your ears. :cheers:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...%2048%20PM.jpg

Don-Vette 09-11-2013 12:23 PM

Been a car guy my whole life and owned various muscle cars but and my childhood dream was a Corvette. l love the local cruise night car show scene and going on road trips.

Itshakes 09-11-2013 12:24 PM

I'm 71 years old---How much time do I have left?? So--we bought a 2013 Grand Sport 60th anniversary Coupe--why not??

PittMD1 09-11-2013 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by MikeERWNC;1584893834[B
]I needed a new car for work. At 30mpg why not a Vette?[/B]My next car will be one which requires less TLC to keep it dependable.

Because they don't get 30 mpg unless it's down hill both ways.

PittMD1 09-11-2013 12:38 PM

Because I'm the kind of guy that needs to be busy. I had to sell my horses and hobby ranch when we moved from MN to AZ. Had the money and my wife suggested I get myself a new one. I had a C4 when we were dating and was always working on it. Wife loved that one and she really likes the GS.

MikeERWNC 09-11-2013 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by PittMD1 (Post 1584894014)
Because they don't get 30 mpg unless it's down hill both ways.

Yours might not...
My DIC never goes below 28.8 mpg Average.
There are not many hills where I live. But there sure are a lot of mountains.

Cratchet 09-11-2013 12:43 PM

Hmmm..
Kind of a hard question to answer for myself.
First of all my main hobby/interest over the last 35 years has been as a motorcyclist.
I"ve toured the U.S. over the last 15 years as vacations allowed. Lots of adventures.
I always wished my motorcycle had air conditioning though. LOL I always wore full protection gear on my trips so it was hot a lot.
So I like the "open" atmosphere that a motorcycle provides. Except that darn full face helmet.

I started thinking about convertibles. I looked around and didn't see any that appealed to my sense of what "looked good". Except the convertible C6 Corvette.
It was sporty and quick - like a motorcycle. (no leaning though!)
I lurked on this forum for 4 years before I decided that life is too short. I got a great deal on the one I finally bought too. So that was a lot of the motivation. I'm not rich.

I just made my 12th payment yesterday. 48 to go!

Mike

Nonpoint 09-11-2013 12:46 PM

I have 2 young kids, so most of my time and hobbies have taken a backseat to raising them correctly. I had a Harley that I enjoyed commuting on, but its become increasingly dangerous with textmania going on. After 3 close calls I decided to sell the bike and the lack of any kind of toy drove me nuts, so I bought a C6 coupe and commute in that.

The oldest boy(3) loves to go for rides in "daddy's race car".

truckplay 09-11-2013 12:54 PM

it started for me the 1st time i saw a C4. One day i was going to own a Vette. Finally for my 40th i drove down to the dealer and fullfiled my dream and bought my C6. Since then i added a C5 to my garage much to my daughters delight.

newskatercat 09-11-2013 01:08 PM

Because Pontiac is no longer! :salute:
http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j9...ercat/0001.jpg
http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j9...ercat/0006.jpg

livette 09-11-2013 01:11 PM

It was a gift to myself for paying off my house in 12 years!. I bought a CPO 2008 JSB
Z51 coupe.

fnbrowning 09-11-2013 01:18 PM

I was a Pontiac man for over 30 years. I owned a model of Firebird of every generation from 1967 to 2002, all fast Firebirds or Trans Ams.
So I was there, and I did that. :yesnod:

The culmination of my passion with Pontiac fbodies was a 2002 Collector Edition Trans Am.

But GM killed the fbody after 2002, and abdicated the pony car wars to Ford. :mad:
Then, GM abandoned the entire fbody concept with the abomination, that P-I-G of a Camaro, with a front end like a big mouth bass and it's Dodge Durango-like aerodynamic coefficient.
- and while my modded 2002 T/A might have beat a stock pig-Camaro in a fair race, the fact was that the Camaro came with new tech that was not cost-effective to retrofit into a 2002.

While I was mulling over the what-to-do's in the fall of 2009, I came across an article on the 2009 Vette in a car magazine. That's when I realized that my route to a pig-Camaro killer was not to pour more money into an 4th generation fbody, but to step up to America's premier sports car. I became the proud owner of a JSB 2009 Corvette Z51.

So here I am, enjoying more aggressive handling and acceleration than I could have built into a 4th gen fbody! :D :D
(with the added joy of giving the ┌∩┐ to that obese Camaro.)

ODEN2 09-11-2013 01:24 PM

Because, at 69, I don't believe I'll ever have another chance at a new 427 convertible.

charles

4SUMERZ 09-11-2013 01:30 PM

After helping out the kids, no mortgage, and retiring at 51, it was time to enjoy ourselves, and what better way than doing road trips with an American icon.
We both enjoy travelling, by sea, air and by car, so in the summer months, it's the vettes turn to make us happy on our trips.
As we all know, the C6 is a very comfy car for doing road trips in.
It gets great gas mileage, lot's of power if need be, and a true highway cruiser.

:steering:
http://i1242.photobucket.com/albums/...psbab2c9eb.jpg

Bendog 09-11-2013 01:32 PM

Not sure... I love the targa roof, love the speed and it's just fun to drive. Just yesterday I dropped my daughter off at school and the weather in the mornings the past few days here in AZ have been great so I took the super long route, like 5 miles out of my way back home just so I could drive it. On my way back some car pulled up next to me and every one of the kids in the car were faces against the window just loving the car. The dad driving revved his engine a few times, not because he wanted to race but I'm sure because he wanted me to give him a show of my engine.

I was going like 40 MPH and dropped down into second gear and punched it and the damn thing burned out and I pulled away like a rocket! Pulled up to the next light and all the kids were yelling and screaming they loved my car, etc. Made their day, made my day... not many cars can do that.

veloz 09-11-2013 01:33 PM

my buddy lend me his Z06 for about a month...after that i was never the same......had to get one....vroom vrooom

MachAll 2005 09-11-2013 01:39 PM

I really didn't want one but my kids bought me mine for a retirement gift ... that was a new 2005 Coupe.
I loved it so much they bought me a 2007 Z06 and now our 2010 ZR1which is 3 years since.
I'll even bet they buy me a C7 when the higher performance version comes out in the next year or so.
Darn.....gotta love those kids.

ALLEN007 09-11-2013 01:45 PM

Because my wife said NO.

ExRedRacer 09-11-2013 01:56 PM

I've always loved cars. When I was a little kid, I pried off the hubcaps from my dads '58 Pontiac Cheiftan because the pictures in Hot Rod magazine shows those stock cars without the hubcaps and I though it looked cool.

My first car and every car for me up until my kids were grown and gone were F body Camaros and Firebirds. Now that the nest is empty, I'm able to afford and enjoy my little Red Racer everywhere I go.

Life is good.

IrishSpuds 09-11-2013 02:01 PM

Pure whim. Saw one on the road one day in Cyber Grey and liked it. :thumbs: Mentioned it to my wife and she said get it because if its on my mind I wont let it go (and would bore her with stories), so I went online the next week and ordered one from Kerbeck's.:woohoo: My other toy (the boat) was a giant floating turd, so I felt I owed it to myself! It helped that our primary and secondary homes are paid off so this was a little indulgence before I fork over $$ for the kids college in 10 years :hide: :hide:

cclive 09-11-2013 02:03 PM

I wanted a convertible...looked around at a number of them and the Vette made the most sense...I love it. Top down is the most important feature to me.
http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3242/2...7203ab70_b.jpg
:thumbs:

Johnathon59 09-11-2013 02:11 PM

I bought a new '85 and had it almost 10 yrs. enjoyed it every time I could take it out, so I wanted to relive that experience in 2013, which brought me to get a new '13 GS before the body style change, will keep it as long as able to crawl inside of it. many happy miles ahead I hope !!:cool:

HyperX 09-11-2013 02:24 PM

I got one so I can drive the gay out of me. I have now been straight as an arrow for 7 years and counting!!!

brooklync5 09-11-2013 02:33 PM

I bought mine beause at the price your not going to find a better sorts car.

Luster 09-11-2013 02:53 PM

Because my wife said: "That's the one I want!"

How can a guy argue with that?:thumbs:

I said: "Ok"

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...fc50a1f4d0.jpg

Hahabye 09-11-2013 02:54 PM

I always loved Vette's from the time I was 6 years old and I saw a 1977 Stingray that was owned by a friend of the family. Through high school and college, I always told myself I would own one someday. I had a chance to drive the new C5 when it first came out in 1997, and that was an unbelievable experience. Through hard work and patience, I bought my first vette in 2006 (C5 Z06). I am currently on my third Corvette and hope to get a C7 in a few years once all of the kinks have been worked out and they introduce a widebody version!

airspeed 09-11-2013 03:10 PM

I agree with all the above loved corvettes from the first time I saw one, said to myself one day I will own one will turn (71) next week had my 07 a little over a month now and loving every moment of it.

dvilin 09-11-2013 03:22 PM

Power, Looks. and Price.

Hameister 09-11-2013 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by CheckeredFlag (Post 1584893784)
I sold my old muscle car ('70 Road Runner),...

My last muscle car was a 1970 Plymouth GTX, basically the same as your Road Runner. This old scanned Polaroid photo is all I have left. A 440 6 pack, 390 hp, factory stock, then added a cam, headers, and Mallory ignition. Loved it!

http://i42.tinypic.com/1236wyd.jpg

Originally Posted by Itshakes (Post 1584893967)
I'm 71 years old---How much time do I have left?? So--we bought a 2013 Grand Sport 60th anniversary Coupe--why not??

My thoughts precisely....I was 69 in January when I drove off with my brandy new '13 GS.

Originally Posted by Cratchet (Post 1584894105)
.... I started thinking about convertibles. I looked around and didn't see any that appealed to my sense of what "looked good". Except the convertible C6 Corvette.

Mike

The convertible was what I really wanted.

I stopped myself from ordering it, because here in south Florida, the sun is so intense for about 8 months out of the year, that convertibles are only viable for a couple of months.

I'm content to remove the targa top for about 3 months a year. Not the same, but it will have to do.

http://i40.tinypic.com/2s79dex.jpg

Originally Posted by Nonpoint (Post 1584894136)
The oldest boy(3) loves to go for rides in "daddy's race car".

You gotta be lovin' that! :thumbs:

Originally Posted by ODEN2 (Post 1584894434)
Because, at 69, I don't believe I'll ever have another chance at a new 427 convertible.

charles

Ya never know Charles, I felt the same way a few months ago when I turned 70.

A few weeks ago I met a guy who's buying himself a C7 at age 76, so ya never know!

Originally Posted by Bendog (Post 1584894499)
...I was going like 40 MPH and dropped down into second gear and punched it and the damn thing burned out and I pulled away like a rocket! Pulled up to the next light and all the kids were yelling and screaming they loved my car, etc. Made their day, made my day... not many cars can do that.

Love these stories...:yesnod:

Originally Posted by MachAll 2005 (Post 1584894558)
I really didn't want one but my kids bought me mine for a retirement gift ... that was a new 2005 Coupe.
I loved it so much they bought me a 2007 Z06 and now our 2010 ZR1which is 3 years since.
I'll even bet they buy me a C7 when the higher performance version comes out in the next year or so.
Darn.....gotta love those kids.

You need to treat those children very well!!! :thumbs:

Originally Posted by ALLEN007 (Post 1584894604)
Because my wife said NO.

:lolg:

Originally Posted by cclive (Post 1584894743)
I wanted a convertible...looked around at a number of them and the Vette made the most sense...I love it. Top down is the most important feature to me.
:thumbs:

Great photo! :thumbs:

Originally Posted by HyperX (Post 1584894911)
I got one so I can drive the gay out of me. I have now been straight as an arrow for 7 years and counting!!!

:lol: :rofl: :lolg:

VET4LES 09-11-2013 03:29 PM

My wife told me I needed one and I agreed. She told me I should get a C7 and I disagreed. We'll see. :flag:

wiggins82abn 09-11-2013 03:30 PM

Wanted something fun

I was looking for a car that I could have fun in to and from work, and take on weekend cruises. After 4 deployments and a nasty divorce, I decided I needed a toy; something to enjoy at the end of the day that could get my blood pumping. Buying my vette was the best car purchase decision I have ever made.

Knowklew 09-11-2013 03:36 PM

I'm not getting any younger (30) so I bought one. I have always wanted one since I was a little kid.

flange 09-11-2013 03:39 PM

had vettes through the 80's and 90's. gave up my 95 vert in 2002 and started a biz. worked my azz off, paid house off, wernt through some really bad personal issues in 2010. recovered and got the wind back in my sails. started looking for a fairly priced 2008 vert last summer. didnt like used pricing, so ended up going all the way to my 427 vert, go figure. its #7 for me, but the best so far. by the time i turn 50 i hope to still have it and a c7.

Steve_R 09-11-2013 03:41 PM

Because a good friend and Vette owner asked me to navigate for him in open road races. Then he asked if I wanted to co-drive. Then he bought a new Vette and asked if I wanted to buy the old ('08) one. The rest, as they say, is history.

timsam 09-11-2013 03:45 PM

My father in law (RIP) got me into Road Course Racing in his C5 Z06. I got tired of taking turns in his car, so I bought a 350z. After 2 HPDE weekends I quickly realized that learning to race in the Z06 had ruined the 350z for me.

The 350z was too slow and lost its brakes too often. So I quickly traded up to a C6.

I have been in love with Vettes ever since that first day at the track.

tjs09vette 09-11-2013 04:00 PM

I had a severe heart attack that left 1/2 my heart worthless and I was in A fib. Went to Cleveland Clinic and the Doc fixed me up pretty good. I always had go fast cars in my younger years so my son talked to my wife and told her we should get another go fast car to keep me busy and give me a reason to live again. Soo right out of the blue the wife mentioned one day we should get another one and we decided on a corvette. End of story. :cheers:

TLS_Addict 09-11-2013 04:02 PM

I wanted a new car that I could drive anywhere in the nation and get worked on.

I wanted a new car with a 6-speed manual gearbox.

I wanted a V8.

I wanted a Corvette.

I wanted the most performance for my dollar.

2019 ZR1 09-11-2013 04:02 PM

I decided I wanted a Corvette after renting one 2 times in Orlando Florida while we vacationed at Disney. They were only base modles but still ran pretty good. I traded a 2011 Camaro SS for my 2013 Z06. I have to say that I will be owning a Corvette as long as I can get in and out of one....

HarleyB 09-11-2013 04:26 PM

I bought this Corvette because I missed my 3rd Corvette. I brought my '01 Z06 to AZ when I moved from WA. Sold the Z due to the 8+ months of GREAT weather and didn't like the fixed roof. Bought & sold an E55 AMG and a Grand Cherokee SRT8 (both with sunroofs!) but neither were CORVETTES. Then my local (3 miles from me) dealer had, in stock, an '08 Machine Silver 6M coupe with the LS3 I wanted... for under $40K. Sold!
http://imageshack.us/a/img822/6852/1i9h.jpg
5+ years later I'm still grinning every time I drive it.
Vette #5: 2017 ZXX Vert.

Hameister 09-11-2013 04:31 PM

Originally Posted by Knowklew (Post 1584895457)
I'm not getting any younger (30) so I bought one. I have always wanted one since I was a little kid.

:lol: Sorry son, but I just gotta laugh! "not getting any younger"? at 30 years of age? are you kiddin' me? I've spent more time in the bathroom than that.

"wanted one since you were a kid"??? You are a kid! :lolg:

Originally Posted by tjs09vette (Post 1584895652)
I had a severe heart attack that left 1/2 my heart worthless and I was in A fib. Went to Cleveland Clinic and the Doc fixed me up pretty good. I always had go fast cars in my younger years so my son talked to my wife and told her we should get another go fast car to keep me busy and give me a reason to live again. Soo right out of the blue the wife mentioned one day we should get another one and we decided on a corvette. End of story. :cheers:

Great story! Stay well. :thumbs:

Blue Bandit 09-11-2013 04:39 PM

Because I like fast horses, fast women, and fast cars. Did I mention fast women, lol.

guyster05LBM 09-11-2013 04:45 PM

Figured since I was now into my 50's, it was the car to drive to fit in with my age group. lol. Actually the reason was I had a M3 convertible (E92) and since my kids started driving, didn't need the backseat as much, and 2 seats would work just fine now. My 2nd vette since I had a 1968 427 390hp vert, and I'll never forgot the sheer raw power of that beast. :salute:

csf 09-11-2013 04:45 PM

When I was a kid all I wanted was to be an astronaut, and I knew they drove Corvettes. Now I'm 53 and I'm thinking the astronaut thing probably ain't gonna work out. But I just bought the Vette anyway. This way, if NASA calls, I'm ready.

Craig

( . . . and I've always wanted one and my youngest kid just moved away to college so now its my time .)

Norskie 09-11-2013 05:03 PM

My wife and I had motorcycled since 1972. In 2009, at the age of 66 I could only ride for a couple hundred miles and I got tired. Thought I was just getting old. We bought a triple black 2004 C5 and liked it. Found out I had a heart problem and a stent fixed it. We found that when we wanted to go for a ride we took our Harley's and the Vette sat so we sold it. Last year we decided it was time to quit riding and bought a Mustang vert. The Mustang did not satisfy so last week we found the Vette we were looking for, an 06 Monteray Red 3lt A6 vert. Started looking for an mn6 but my wife's knees are getting bad and she enjoys driving so the A6 makes sense for us. At 70, my time left is limited so it's now or maybe never. Buying the Vette did not take any groceries off the table so there was no reason not to get it. Have loved fast cars for over 50 years and this car satisfies the "need for speed".

BillH2121 09-11-2013 05:19 PM

Because I couldn't afford the 911 I wanted and was afraid to buy the ones I could afford! I've been pretty happy since with a 2005 C6 and now a 2010. Love my cyber-gray paint, threw on some black cup with red pinstripe wheels, painted the calipers red, and tinted the windows. It has Bullet exhaust and I get thumbs up from the younger crowd - nice since I'm 60! Fun car at a budget price!

Great08 09-11-2013 05:23 PM

To rub in people's faces that doubted me through my life..... Also was my dream car as a child just never thought I'd actually be able to afford one at such a young age (23) and it also feels good to answer when people say wow that's a nice car your parents bought you and I get to answer no haven't seen or heard from them since 16 ;) the oilfield life is treating me well :)

rcallen484 09-11-2013 05:26 PM

Blast to drive :rock: :rock: :rock:

Tonylmiller 09-11-2013 05:29 PM

For me it is the combination of performance, value, styling, and reliability.

If it was a Dodge or Ford or Toyota I still would have bought it.

duckvett 09-11-2013 05:32 PM

Because I have owned at least one of all the previous generations - I needed a C6 to continue the trend.

I have had a passion for Corvettes and been a student of the history of Corvettes since I bought my first one at age 22. After 41 years of continuous ownership I still marvel at the technological advances from generation to generation.

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a2...ps5ada2ae4.jpg

Rocketmanwpb 09-11-2013 05:34 PM

Because I wanted a hot car :)

rstrait 09-11-2013 05:44 PM

The thought came to me that I'd always wanted a fast car when I was a teenager but couldn't afford one so I went to a Chevy dealer and took a test drive. Oh my! I had to have one! Found the forum and located a pristine 3K mile 08 Z51, talked to the owner and arranged financing and got a one way flight down to Charlotte NC. It was as nice as he said so I bought it and drove home. I enjoy it as much every day I drive it as when I got it!:rock:

DigitalWidgets 09-11-2013 05:52 PM

Because a 60 mile daily commute in a minivan was sucking the life out of me!

VipersRnotVettes 09-11-2013 05:59 PM

For no other reason than to make up for my small pee pee :yesnod:

Adam_W 09-11-2013 06:07 PM

Because after years of parking my dusty 2001 Honda accord with 180K miles on it in the physicians' parking lot next to shiny BMW M3s and AMG Mercedes, I one day said to myself "f*ck it, I've earned it and I'm gonna go big" and so I bought a black C6 Z06.

cshanne 09-11-2013 06:21 PM

People are not going to like this, but I got mine because Honda does not make a sports car any more. I had and loved my S2000 but wanted something newer. The Porsche and BMW roadsters are too much money and I am not a fan of the Miata (not a bad car, but not my taste). I found the S2000 more aggressive looking than the Miata.

All said and done, the S2000 was replaced with the Vette. Just as FYI, both are great cars and are fun in their own way. I miss the S2000 but I know I would and will miss the Vette when it's time comes.

11Black-GS 09-11-2013 06:49 PM

Originally Posted by cshanne (Post 1584896842)
People are not going to like this, but I got mine because Honda does not make a sports car any more. I had and loved my S2000 but wanted something newer. The Porsche and BMW roadsters are too much money and I am not a fan of the Miata (not a bad car, but not my taste). I found the S2000 more aggressive looking than the Miata.

All said and done, the S2000 was replaced with the Vette. Just as FYI, both are great cars and are fun in their own way. I miss the S2000 but I know I would and will miss the Vette when it's time comes.

I had an Integra GSR way back in the day and loved the 8K redline on that thing. I can imagine the fun it was to go to 9K in your S2000.

I sort of bought my vette on a whim. I was looking at Audi S5's, S4's because I wanted something sporty, with a back seat, and in a manual. I never wanted nor considered a two seater but when I didn't really find any Audi's in my range I decided to look in the direction of two seaters. The only options that interested me was the vette and 370z. It only took one second to see that the vette was a lot more bang for the buck and since I always liked the sound of the American V8s it helped me sway in that direction too.

grady 09-11-2013 06:57 PM

Divorce present to me...
While looking found the one year only Carlisle Blue which I fell for...
Mike Furman...
http://i1348.photobucket.com/albums/...ps9104a9fe.jpg

LMB-Z 09-11-2013 06:58 PM

Originally Posted by VipersRnotVettes (Post 1584896657)
For no other reason than to make up for my small pee pee :yesnod:

:iagree:

CONVERTEDUSA 09-11-2013 07:06 PM

To get rid of my 997 porsche, wish i had done it sooner.Great car to drive and RELIABLE

73firebird 09-11-2013 07:13 PM

The dealers in my area gave me no satisfaction when I wanted to buy a ZL1 . I turned my attention to Corvette. I'm glad I did.

Revette 09-11-2013 07:18 PM

Quite honestly, the '13 427 convertible was a retirement reward. It's my wife's car, but my idea.

Turbo6TA 09-11-2013 07:50 PM

I bought my new 2011 GS from McMulkin because I had been living in the Philippines for 5 years. When I came back to the US, I would have no car at all ... so this is what I bought via the internet.

I actually ordered the car from McMulkin while I was in the Philippines ... Flew from Manila, Philippines to Detroit ... cleared customs and immigrations at Detroit, and then to Manchester, NH.

McMulkin picked me and my wife up at the airport and took us to a local hotel.

The next morning, we were on are way with this new GS down to Florida.

End of story ...

http://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p...o6ta/Trip2.jpg

R0NIN 09-11-2013 07:53 PM

I'm kinda a jeep guy and didn't really know much about Vettes until last year when I, just by chance, sat in one at a Chevy dealership while kicking tires with my dad... HOLY KRAP!! This things feels like a fighter jet I thought to myself(with the price-tag to boot!!!)...

My father must have saw the look on my face because he told me later the day that I should get the big boy toy... the Vette ... and not a new truck or jeep

I did some research (found this site).... found a low mile 09 Coupe, lt1... and the rest is HISTORY!! Best advice my father has given me in a long time!!!

Jaycajun 09-11-2013 08:00 PM

This is my 4th after a 13 year break. Had to have it since the seller had already paid for the blower, cam, valve train, clutch, RPM built trans/dif, wide booty, and GS wheels & tires. Paid for a base car but got a fully built car with a decent 640 RWHP...

Vetteman Jack 09-11-2013 08:01 PM

Because I've had such good luck and driving enjoyment from the other eight Corvettes I've owned that I thought one more would be good. In a couple of years I hope to get my 10th one - a C7.

recentlydivorced 09-11-2013 08:04 PM

Well, my first car was a 1969 Chevelle SS. Bought it 3 weeks before I got my Drivers license (mom wouldn't let me buy a Camaro SS afraid I would kill myself. So she took me to her car dealer and he hooked me up without her knowing), 5 weeks after getting my licence I rolled it over a 20 foot down ditch (lucky I wasn't killed -- came away with 2 small scratches that did not even need stiches) it was totaled. had a bunch of regular cars since and always wanted another real American sports car. None around except corvette for many years. Then got to thinking really had about it again when the Camaro and Chalenger and all the other cars were being redone to look kinda like the originals.

while all this was happening I was preparing for a divorce and didn't know weather it would be easy or a long fight. I had just about decided on a Camaro SS, when I friend pointed out, that when divorced the vette is a two seater and the Camaro is a 4 seater (no kids fit it the vette. I always thought Vettes where way out of my pricve range. well he showed me they weren't. When divorce was final, I started looking, had a price and milage range in mind and when I found it I bought it. That was a month ago, and I am lovin in better than McDonalds right now.

It is really hard to get in the POS every day during the week to go to work with my new baby at home.

su8pack1 09-11-2013 08:05 PM

I always wanted a new one.

Tally Ho 09-11-2013 08:21 PM

It was a natural progression from C3 to C4 to C5 to C6. I liked the C6 so much I bought two.

3rdchildhood 09-11-2013 08:27 PM

There is none better for your $ Buck.

carolina cutie 09-11-2013 08:37 PM

The '61 Corvette convertible was my first love, then the '63 Sting Ray Coupe. After that I lost interest in Vettes until the '08 LS3. Finally the '09 coupe, when most of the C6 bugs were finally worked out, convinced me to buy one. Since then, nothing introduced has enticed me to buy another Vette, including the C7 due to rear end, interior and under-hood ugliness.

tprice 09-11-2013 09:11 PM

Originally Posted by SmokinZ51 (Post 1584893904)
I bought mine because my wife finally talked me into it :lol: I'm a cheap SOB when it comes to myself but will do anything for my family.

But really it's because I've always loved Corvettes. I don't know why but for some reason they just light a fire in me. I love the look, the sound and the feeling of driving them. There's something magical about looking out over that hood and those fenders with an open road in front of you and the roar of the exhaust in your ears. :cheers:

Pretty much same here, been wanting one since I was a pre-teen.

Like a lot of stories here, kids and family commitments have not made one practical until last couple of years.

Actually was looking for 03 50th Anniversary but after looking at prices and talking with other Vette Owners decided to go ahead and go with a C6.

Took me long time, I guess like a lot of us here there is some honest "guilt" in making a purchase like that since most of us I assume have been fairly conservative most of our adult years

Looked so much wife actually got aggrevated with me and told me either buy one or SHUT UP and QUIT LOOKING

Just looking for the right deal and it came alont, in fact right here on CF

WE BOTH LOVE THE VETTE:thumbs:

Allan 09-11-2013 09:38 PM

Wife loved the color - NRBM

I could get a 427 Vert :thumbs:

ButchN 09-11-2013 09:49 PM

Always liked & wanted one, so I bought an 82, then sold it to get the 13.

Iconic 09-11-2013 10:03 PM

Originally Posted by Hameister (Post 1584893394)
*Exactly why did you buy your Corvette?

My story goes like this - decades ago 3 of my best high school buds owned Vettes. These were C2 and C3 Corvettes. My uncle owned a few as well including a 63 splitback. These close friends and family left an impression on me that stuck from my days as a kid thru today. Fast forward thru decades of paying for food clothing shelter and wife kids and a few thousand gallons of sweat I saved the coin to pay cash for a new GS. I see it as a reward to myself for sacrificing myself as a slave in the military, a slave to my family to provide a nice house and living, and now a slave to the useless human pieces of s**t in washington stealing what I earn and giving it to parasites.

Recap short version on why I bought my new Corvette is because I'm an American who was given an opportunity to live the dream by busting ass to reap the rewards and in the end, the rewards of capitalism payed off

Plus the car is lights out fast

FAUEE 09-11-2013 10:04 PM

I figured if I didn't buy a sports car now while I was young, I'd be old before I could do it. After owning my Jeep for a year, it just didn't click for me. Loved the vehicle, but wasn't in love with it for lack of a better phrase.

As for why a Vette... two big reasons. The roof came off, and it's plastic/fiberglass. I didn't want a convertible really, but also liked the idea of open roof driving. The targa top was the best of both worlds for me. I'm massively particular about my vehicles, and dents and dings terrify me. The vette being fiberglass/plastic meant it shouldn't dent like metal, which put me at ease.

The fact that it was priced well was another big bonus. For what I paid for my Vette, I would have been in an Evo, G37, or something like that with similar or higher mileage and same or older year.

Plus I've always said that every American man should own a Corvette in their lifetime. Figured now was my time.

Joe B. 09-11-2013 10:22 PM

The bodies don't rust out.

p4snow 09-11-2013 10:25 PM

It was my dream car when I was 12 years old. Dream came true 50 years later.

Ten-Zing 09-11-2013 10:32 PM

Go in to Autotrader and click this criteria... Convertible, manual transmission. Then I wanted rear wheel drive and power. So, mostly looked at V8's. It's a fun roadster for summer cruising. Never was a big Corvette fan but the C6 was a major departure and I dig it.

http://i223.photobucket.com/albums/d.../Corvette2.jpg

MLCVette 09-11-2013 11:07 PM

In '95 I bought a '96 Firebird Formula. Absolutely loved the car but totaled it in 2000 on a strip of black ice in Ontario, Canada. Didn't have the means to replace it at the time so stuck it out with other vehicles. Fast forward to spring time this year and I saw the C7 and knew I wanted a Corvette. So, I started the process of getting on the pre-order list. When pre-orders opened up, two different dealers gave me such a run around I gave up on owning a 2014. I decided I would wait for a 2015. Meanwhile, I still needed something reliable to get back and forth to work in and I just wanted something to get me by until 2015. Then my husband told me about a black 2007 C6 M6 he had found online. I agreed to go look at it and the rest is history. I am crazy in love with my C6 and while there is a C7 in my future, it will probably not be until 2017 and will be an addition to our vette family. I don't foresee ever getting rid of my C6.

carjo 09-11-2013 11:17 PM

Because I wanted one since I was a kid, and I could finally afford it!

06C6REDVETTE 09-11-2013 11:33 PM

Originally Posted by carjo (Post 1584899432)

:iagree:

billyboy47 09-11-2013 11:41 PM

Originally Posted by Hameister (Post 1584893394)
Be honest, why?

For me, it was the realization of a 5 decade dream.

Kids, college, mortgage payments, and practicality, took its toll for many years.

So, why would I buy it now, when I'm retired, with my track years behind me? Simple.

I could afford it, and I wanted to own a new Corvette before I died. I wanted a manual gearbox, because all my muscle cars, when I was younger, were stick, and I loved driving them.

I wanted to drive it, when I felt like driving it. I wanted to look at it in the garage, when I felt like looking at it. I wanted to detail it almost every weekend to keep it looking new, and get myself some exercise at the same time.

I took delivery Jan. 24th, 2013, and just turned 1,700 miles a few days ago. Probably will be driving it about 3,000 miles per year.

I will drive this beautiful machine, as long as I am able to fall into, and crawl out of it.

How about you? Why did you buy yours? Post a photo of yours as well. We're all proud of our cars!

http://i41.tinypic.com/2ccw3k5.jpg

bought mine the same day, jan. 24th of this year, cool.:thumbs:

vette4cruzn 09-11-2013 11:55 PM

My childhood dream was to always own the only true American sports car. Purchased my first corvette at age 21, an emerald green 1973 vert. Moved to a black 1979 L82 in late 80’s. Life got in the way and had to go many years without a Corvette. Tried to fill the void with several other sports cars but none of them compared to my Corvettes. In 2009 I purchase my first C-6, a 2007 monterey red metallic coupe. I just recently traded my 2007 for a 2012 Grand Sport Centennial. Of all four Corvette’s the C-6’s are by far the best sports cars I have ever owned
http://i223.photobucket.com/albums/d...6/DSC_0094.jpg

Dogbrother 09-11-2013 11:55 PM

Because I can and my wife said you deserve it

http://i890.photobucket.com/albums/a...psdb0eead3.jpg

heli-vette 09-12-2013 12:06 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I figured at 56 my knees are only good for 10 more years . The government will have all my money by then . Live for now !!!!

Gary '09 C6 09-12-2013 12:13 AM

:iagree: x 2.

...especially after all the adult responsibilities have been addressed (like so many others have already said).

sleeperC6 09-12-2013 12:16 AM

I bought mine cause I've only lusted for corvettes since i was a toddler! I figured, I'm young, no kids, no wife, good job....... might as well Craig. :yesnod:

billyboy47 09-12-2013 12:37 AM

Originally Posted by heli-vette (Post 1584899760)
I figured at 56 my knees are only good for 10 more years . The government will have all my money by then . Live for now !!!!

don't sell yourself short. at 66 i can run with any nfl running back.:D

Virtual Geezer 09-12-2013 12:59 AM

Pure sex, dig that perfect profile!! And it can go topless legally everywhere.... :thumbs::cheers::thumbs:

http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h2...ps2d2fc994.jpg

heli-vette 09-12-2013 01:14 AM

Originally Posted by billyboy47 (Post 1584899906)
don't sell yourself short. at 66 i can run with any nfl running back.:D

Getin my 6 6" 240 body over center standing up is the issue . Still can do 10 miles on the bike in 30 minutes , hike 4 - 5 hours .

Rusler John 09-12-2013 01:15 AM

Lusting over them for 34 years. I sold my last Vette in 1973, a 66' Roadster and always wanted another, but, lifes trials and errors got in the way. The wife and I went to Daytona in 2007 and the place was loaded with new 07' Vettes, both verts and coupes. I fell in love with a LMB coupe. So, in June of 07', I bought a brand new 07' LMB, 3LT, Z-51 coupe. For the first few months, along with driving it all the time, I would just go out and stare at it, admiring the way it looks. In fact, I still do just that. I love my Vette because it was a dream that came true for me. It'll probably be my last, so, I'm taking good care of it and driving it as much as I can. I know it might sound corny to some, but, that's how I feel.

CorvetteSparky 09-12-2013 01:22 AM

That's pretty much my story too. I bought it on February 7th, 2013 at age 58. I've been working for 40 years, helped raise two kids, paid for their sports, bought them cars and a college education. It's my turn now. I've worked as much overtime as I can for two years and bought the car without affecting the household budget. It was all worth it as I couldn't be happier with the car.

I've been very happy with this forum as well. It's been very informative and helpful and has made me laugh out loud on many occasions. Thanks!

http://i1365.photobucket.com/albums/...ps1a7b1a9e.jpg

Virtual Geezer 09-12-2013 01:45 AM

Originally Posted by Rusler John (Post 1584900061)
For the first few months, along with driving it all the time, I would just go out and stare at it, admiring the way it looks. In fact, I still do just that. I love my Vette because it was a dream that came true for me. It'll probably be my last, so, I'm taking good care of it and driving it as much as I can. I know it might sound corny to some, but, that's how I feel.

Corny is good -- and there are literally thousands of others who feel exactly the same way. :thumbs:

Nosferatu 09-12-2013 02:37 AM

It was a graduation gift to myself (finished my medical training in residency). No wife no kids no responsibility to anyone and I just turned 30 so I said screw it I'm doing it now.

I wanted...

V8 torque
great gas mileage
practical daily driver
bang for your buck

It was an easy choice. I've been eyeballing these cars since I was a kid and always wanted one after owning a Camaro back in high school / college.

The dream is now a reality and I love it. Got the color I wanted, options I wanted, and the 6spd manual. Took a while to find but I grin every time I go drive it. :rock:

2010 3LT NPP NAV and now has headers/tune and it's a beast in sound and performance.

EDIT: Figured a video too for giggles. I got plenty but this one just puts a grin on my face everytime. Car sounds phenomenal.

http://i455.photobucket.com/albums/q...psec0b6ce9.jpg

http://i455.photobucket.com/albums/q...ps99a44293.jpg

http://i455.photobucket.com/albums/q...ps39bfa6c5.jpg