CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C5 General (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-general-103/)
-   -   NEW Interior LED Mod Thread (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-general/1996579-new-interior-led-mod-thread.html)

TNTC5 01-06-2009 02:53 AM

i installed led light in my car, now my hatch, door open entrance light don't work. I checked all the fuses, but nothing work. I can turn on rear view mirror, glove box, and it light up. Anybody no why??? please help!!! thanks

Internets_Ninja 01-06-2009 08:15 PM

Originally Posted by tstar (Post 1568451102)
Jason,

Man that's a real head scratcher! I don't have a clue what could have happened, I'm not sure the guy on EBay can fix it but I hope so for your sake!!!

When you start again, I ALWAYS ohm the LEDs for shorts first then light them up with a 9 volt battery, if all that looks good THEN I connect the display board up to the power board and fire everything up...

Good luck to you... :thumbs:

BTW interesting move making the Passenger script Red...

Tim

Hopefully so, I even checked for burnt resistors or anything out of the ordinary.

As for making the passenger side red, It started as an accident but the girlfriend liked the way it looked so I kept it for now.

If it can be repaired there is still a little more work to do to get the lights to spread out evenly. I may make the Drivers side red as well. Not sure yet.

Thanks for your help Tim. I will post up the results next week when I hear from the repair guy.

-Jason

tstar 01-07-2009 02:57 AM

Originally Posted by TNTC5 (Post 1568451260)
i installed led light in my car, now my hatch, door open entrance light don't work. I checked all the fuses, but nothing work. I can turn on rear view mirror, glove box, and it light up. Anybody no why??? please help!!! thanks

What and where did you install the LEDs??????

Your Footwell, Maplights and Cargo lights are not working when you open the door correct????

Tim

Internets_Ninja 01-09-2009 04:45 PM

Ok my HVAC was received today by the Ebay repair guy. Hoepfully he can fix it and keep the LED's!
......I'm waiting on a response.....

I wonder if he will just return a different one without even looking at mine lol. If so I will be kinda pissed off because the LED's took me like 6 hours!

nascar57 01-09-2009 09:07 PM

Did you send it to Digital Dash Solutions in dayville,ct.??Or was it someone else?? I have worked with DDS before and found them to be very good to work with.I would contact him and ask if he can repair the one you sent him.Dont want to lose those leds!! Great prices compared to other vendors I've found. Good luck!:thumbs:

TNTC5 01-10-2009 01:18 AM

Hi! Tim, i installed at the rear hatch, foot weld, glove box, also rear view mirror but i switched it back to stock bulbs. I am ready put all the stock bulb back and see if that fix it. Thanks

Tony

tstar 01-10-2009 01:40 AM

Originally Posted by TriPinTaZ (Post 1568492330)
Ok my HVAC was received today by the Ebay repair guy. Hoepfully he can fix it and keep the LED's!
......I'm waiting on a response.....

I wonder if he will just return a different one without even looking at mine lol. If so I will be kinda pissed off because the LED's took me like 6 hours!

Did you let him know that you did the LED Mod? If he's as good as Tom says it won't be a problem for him but it's a good idea to let him know ahead of time. I've had several HVACs sent to me for repair that had the LEDs installed by the owner and they were quite a challenge to fix due to the inexperience of the Modder... That was an understatement huh Tom? :lol:

Like Tom said, tell him to keep your Display board in the unit for you! :thumbs:

Tim

tstar 01-10-2009 01:41 AM

Originally Posted by TNTC5 (Post 1568497598)
Hi! Tim, i installed at the rear hatch, foot weld, glove box, also rear view mirror but i switched it back to stock bulbs. I am ready put all the stock bulb back and see if that fix it. Thanks

Tony

Good idea Tony... I was going to suggest swapping them out one at a time to see if you have a bad LED bulb. :thumbs:

Tim

Internets_Ninja 01-10-2009 02:14 AM

Originally Posted by tstar (Post 1568497673)
Did you let him know that you did the LED Mod? If he's as good as Tom says it won't be a problem for him but it's a good idea to let him know ahead of time. I've had several HVACs sent to me for repair that had the LEDs installed by the owner and they were quite a challenge to fix due to the inexperience of the Modder... That was an understatement huh Tom? :lol:

Like Tom said, tell him to keep your Display board in the unit for you! :thumbs:

Tim

Hmm the guy I sent it to is in MN and his name is David. I did let him know I had the LED display ahead of time. Once in an email reply to him letting him know about the LED's and also when I paid via paypal I put in the notes section that I have the LED mod and it works fine and would like to keep it.

I gave him my number incase he had any questions. He had thousands of positive ratings on Ebay and emailed me right after payment. I expect to hear back from him shortly.

Oh I can't wait to get my door switches blueeee:smash:

tstar 01-10-2009 02:24 AM

Good deal! I'm REALLY curious to see if he can fix it!!!!!

When you get ready to do your Door switches PM me, I have some tips to make it look as best as it can. :thumbs:

Tim

minitech 01-10-2009 10:06 AM

Originally Posted by TNTC5 (Post 1568451260)

Isn't it fuse #29 that is not well documented but when it goes it stops these things from turing on. Or is it #27?

Does sound like a fuse problem. Anyone confirm the number for him?

rpm462 01-10-2009 02:12 PM

Originally Posted by minitech (Post 1568499426)
Isn't it fuse #29 that is not well documented but when it goes it stops these things from turing on. Or is it #27?

Does sound like a fuse problem. Anyone confirm the number for him?

I think it's #29...called Diagnostic I believe. :flag:

Internets_Ninja 01-10-2009 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by tstar (Post 1568497821)
Good deal! I'm REALLY curious to see if he can fix it!!!!!

When you get ready to do your Door switches PM me, I have some tips to make it look as best as it can. :thumbs:

Tim

he emailed me back today, he said the microprocessor is blown and he cannot repair it as he cannot get that part.

I suppose I am going to have to buy a new one from GM parts direct for $245.

Well I feel like a failure at this mod lol. I don't know how I managed to fry the microprocessor. I must have hit some 12v power to the wrong part during my testing :(

Now I am not sure about trying this mod again on a new unit.:crazy:

nascar57 01-10-2009 06:53 PM

I ended up selling the hvac out of my car to a custome who couldnt wait.I ordered another one for mine to incorporate some of the improvements figured out on this thread.Much better than my first one!! Maybe it wasnt you,but just a coincidence.:D
The processor is on the power controll board,could he still use your display board with a new power board??He probably doesnt want to do that if he has to guarantee the unit.Not the end of the world,but it still sucks!!:smash:

Internets_Ninja 01-10-2009 07:15 PM

Originally Posted by nascar57 (Post 1568504695)
I ended up selling the hvac out of my car to a custome who couldnt wait.I ordered another one for mine to incorporate some of the improvements figured out on this thread.Much better than my first one!! Maybe it wasnt you,but just a coincidence.:D
The processor is on the power controll board,could he still use your display board with a new power board??He probably doesnt want to do that if he has to guarantee the unit.Not the end of the world,but it still sucks!!:smash:

I may try to use the power board from the new HVAC with my current display board.

I dunno,....I really don't want to spend $245 on a new one and risk frying the new one. But I really want the LED's :(

nascar57 01-10-2009 07:22 PM

So is he sending your unit back to you or use it as a core??If you buy a new one he should not need a core. There may be some compatability issues between different years so you may want to seek advice from someone who knows.I thought I read somewhere that they changed some of the internals in 2003 but I'm not completely sure.Check with tim,seems he had some issues with that.I know the ones earlier than 2001 are a little different from the later ones.I would check with the guy your buying from. Good luck!!

Internets_Ninja 01-10-2009 10:15 PM

Originally Posted by nascar57 (Post 1568504981)
So is he sending your unit back to you or use it as a core??If you buy a new one he should not need a core. There may be some compatability issues between different years so you may want to seek advice from someone who knows.I thought I read somewhere that they changed some of the internals in 2003 but I'm not completely sure.Check with tim,seems he had some issues with that.I know the ones earlier than 2001 are a little different from the later ones.I would check with the guy your buying from. Good luck!!

I just talked to him. He said the power board is fried and not the display screen baord.

This means my LED job is fine and I need a new power board.

I wonder if I can find JUST the power board...:ack:

I think I fried the power board when I applied 13.8v DC to the wrong circuits. I know I did the LED mod correctly.

Anyone have a spare power board for a 2001 Z06?? :)

TNTC5 01-10-2009 10:31 PM

thanks guys, i will try to do that, and let you guys know. Thamks again

Tony

tstar 01-10-2009 11:26 PM

Originally Posted by TriPinTaZ (Post 1568507006)
I just talked to him. He said the power board is fried and not the display screen baord.

This means my LED job is fine and I need a new power board.

I wonder if I can find JUST the power board...:ack:

I think I fried the power board when I applied 13.8v DC to the wrong circuits. I know I did the LED mod correctly.

Anyone have a spare power board for a 2001 Z06?? :)

You need a P/N 16254177B power board then... assuming that you had a 10436062 model HVAC in your 01 Z. Is there anyway you can verify the power board part number OR HVAC model number for me????

Tim

TNTC5 01-11-2009 01:14 AM

#29 it is, thanks guys, all the lights are on!!!:cheers: