Go Back   Corvette Forum > Off Topic > Politics, Religion & Controversy
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Register Albums Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ
Search
Politics, Religion & Controversy Politics | Religion | Controversy (Non-Corvette)

Welcome to Corvetteforum.com!
Welcome to Corvetteforum.com.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join Corvetteforum.com today!

Corvette Store

C6 Parts & Accessories
C5 Parts & Accessories
Wheels & Tires
Sponsored Ads

Vendor Directory

Old 06-23-2013, 12:33 AM   #1
vigalante
CF Senior Member

Default El Dorado County Sheriff Strips Forest Service Of State-Law Enforcement Power ( CA )

Well, how about this, the STATE has taken away power from a FEDERAL ORGANIZATION!

The El Dorado County Sheriff says he’s not happy with the U.S. Forest Service, so he’s stripping them of their authority by keeping them from enforcing state law within the county.

Sheriff John D’Agostini is taking the unusual step of pulling the police powers from the federal agency because he says he has received “numerous, numerous complaints.”

In a letter obtained by CBS13, the sheriff informs the federal agency that its officers will no longer be able to enforce California state law anywhere in his county.

“I take the service that we provide to the citizens of El Dorado County and the visitors to El Dorado County very seriously, and the style and manner of service we provide,” D’Agostini said. “The U.S. Forest Service, after many attempts and given many opportunities, has failed to meet that standard.”

The sheriff won’t give specifics, but he says he’s concerned about the number of complaints his department’s received against the federal officers.

We asked law professor John Myers if the sheriff’s actions can supercede the feds.

“Looks to me as though the sheriff can do this,” he said. “They don’t have state powers in the first place, but essentially the sheriff can deputize individuals to have authority in his or her jurisdiction.”

The U.S. Forest Services wouldn’t comment beyond this statement:

“The U.S. Forest Service Law Enforcement has not received this letter yet, but we have valued our partnership and good working relationship with the county over the years.”

But with limited resources and such a large area to patrol, some may be concerned that public safety may be compromised.

We asked the sheriff whether this will increase response times.

“It could be, but I doubt it.”

But the bottom line for campers is knowing someone will come when they call and report a crime.

D’Agostini’s order will go into effect on July 22, and for now, there’s no resolution in sight.

http://sacramento.cbslocal.com/2013/...rcement-power/
vigalante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 12:42 AM   #2
LoneStarFRC
CF Senior Member
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14

Location: Perseverance: The courage to ignore the obvious wisdom of turning back.

Works for me.
LoneStarFRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 12:43 AM   #3
Rule292
CF Senior Member
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneStarFRC View Post
Works for me.
I doubt that the El Dorado County's lawyers have as big and fat of a credit card limit as the USFS's lawyers.

Last edited by Rule292; 06-23-2013 at 01:03 AM. Reason: plural versus possessive
Rule292 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 12:52 AM   #4
Chambered
CF Senior Member

Mr. Fraud will be making a phone call to El Dorado on Monday...IRS has already been alerted too.
Chambered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 01:42 AM   #5
LoneStarFRC
CF Senior Member

Location: Perseverance: The courage to ignore the obvious wisdom of turning back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rule292 View Post
I doubt that the El Dorado County's lawyers have as big and fat of a credit card limit as the USFS's lawyers.
Maybe so, assuming there would be any court battle over this in the first place.
Begs the question of what have these Forest guys done that's so egregious that a Sheriff would willingly stop allowing them (key) to enforce state law and the use of county facilities, i.e. jails, county courts, transporting prisoners, etc., as they seem to have done in the past.

Regardless, the jurisdictional question remains in the Sheriff's favor. Smokey can't enforce state law in his county without his permission and he can't enforce federal laws without theirs. Sheriff and citizen's win any turf fight over this if the Smokies fight.

This could have the makings of yet another major Eric Holder public FUBAR if he decides to fight this Sheriff. Of course that's never stopped him before.
Old 06-23-2013, 03:13 AM   #6
Allan
CF Senior Member
St. Jude Donor '14

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneStarFRC View Post
Maybe so, assuming there would be any court battle over this in the first place.
Begs the question of what have these Forest guys done that's so egregious that a Sheriff would willingly stop allowing them (key) to enforce state law and the use of county facilities, i.e. jails, county courts, transporting prisoners, etc., as they seem to have done in the past.

Regardless, the jurisdictional question remains in the Sheriff's favor. Smokey can't enforce state law in his county without his permission and he can't enforce federal laws without theirs. Sheriff and citizen's win any turf fight over this if the Smokies fight.

This could have the makings of yet another major Eric Holder public FUBAR if he decides to fight this Sheriff. Of course that's never stopped him before.
Allan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 03:46 AM   #7
redvtt
CF Senior Member

Location: All great change begins at the dinner table Ronald Reagan

Some comments from the locals:

Quote:
couldn't agree more with the Sheriff. This has been a long time coming. I started seeing these USFS cops back in the 90's in EDC. These USFS Law Enforcement officers are problematic, overzealous and often over reaching. I once kicked one of my property that was investigating construction along a creek, something the USFS had no jurisdiction to regulate.

Sheriff D'Agostini has just waved the banner of freedom for El Dorado County. First the Feds, next the State Fish and Wildlife who according to regulation can enter your house, your car, your private land without a warrant and snoop around under the guise of finding an old stuffed Wolverine. F&W can confiscate your equipment and fine you. Getting our constitutional rights has to start somewhere and this looks like a great start. Thank you Sheriff

Tim wrote, "While I'm happy to see the Sheriff stand up to the tyranny that has become our United States Forest Service and more importantly his obvious distain for the environmental overreach that has plagued us and our public lands for years. I think we need to take a deeper look at the people and individuals we are dealing with. Let's look at these individuals on just that, an individual level, independent of their groups and agencies. We need to truly understand what and whom we are dealing with in order to gain a better understanding of how to overcome their efforts to control and oppress us. I will name names and truly hope they are reading and paying attention. Ken Marcus: It is my opinion that the most recent move by the Sheriff was truly brought on by this individuals actions. Some may say that he is working under the USFS and it is the whole agency that is broken and to some point I will agree but we have to understand who we are dealing with here. This man, for whatever reason, truly enjoys bringing misery and displeasure to people. This man has and is using his given power to push off his self hatred onto others. Some have said here that the sheriff's decisions will teach ken Marcus a lesson and stick it to him. Please don't misunderstand who you are dealing with. This man will enjoy, revel and take pride in what his actions have led to. It is a control issue for him. It is an attention issue for him. The self centered, self involved issues run so deep here they can never be changed. Understand this, even if his actions led to his firing (Which is next to impossible) he would still believe to his very core that he was in the right and enjoy the carnage his actions have caused. This is his very purpose and he knows no other way to be. This truly is a psychological problem and people like this have no reason being in positions of power, responsibility and public relations. unfortunately, this has become the norm and we see it all too often. Our fear for political correctness as a society allows this to happen. This has to change. Speak out and stand up. Karen Schambach: What can I say here. I guess, read above! This is the same control issues but with a financial twist. Her bitterness towards everything OHV evolved into the realization that she could and does make a substantial living from the propaganda and fear tactics that are the environmental movement. The deeper issue we have to understand here is that while Ms Schambach has the same inherent control issues she has also moved into self preservation mode. She is willing and unfortunately able to protect her financial interests. I will go as far to say that maybe in the beginning she felt real concern for the environment but after the sweet taste of control and financial gain, concerns for frogs and flowers soon left her mind. These individuals (A mere two examples), in my opinion, have true, diagnosable mental disorders and cannot be helped and more over cannot be convinced of anything different than their thoughts and beliefs. Our approach needs to be directed to the ones that put these types in positions of power and responsibility. We need to change the blind following of our fellow man and hold these people accountable for their actions. This is what I'm excited about. This is what Sheriff John D'Agostini has done. He has spoken up loud and clear for the people he works for. The tides are turning!!!"
http://www.inedc.com/1-5057#
redvtt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 03:48 AM   #8
Shurshot
CF Senior Member

What is the complaint that the Sheriff and the people the county have against the forest service?
Shurshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 05:16 AM   #9
Platoface
CF Senior Member
St. Jude Donor '11

Describes 98% of liberals to a tee.

Quote:
I will go as far to say that maybe in the beginning she felt real concern for the environment but after the sweet taste of control and financial gain, concerns for frogs and flowers soon left her mind. These individuals (A mere two examples), in my opinion, have true, diagnosable mental disorders and cannot be helped and more over cannot be convinced of anything different than their thoughts and beliefs
Platoface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 05:34 AM   #10
LTC Z06
Get Some!
Support Corvetteforum!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vigalante View Post
Well, how about this, the STATE has taken away power from a FEDERAL ORGANIZATION!
/url]
No a county has. RIF
LTC Z06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 09:05 AM   #11
LoneStarFRC
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shurshot View Post
What is the complaint that the Sheriff and the people the county have against the forest service?
Against "the forest service"? Probably the wrong question.
Old 06-23-2013, 11:31 AM   #12
tiojames
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Send a message via MSN to tiojames

Me thinks they were tearing up too many of the locals pot growing operations, that's why no one is forth coming with the reasons for the "many" complaints.
tiojames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 11:36 AM   #13
vigalante
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiojames View Post
Me thinks they were tearing up too many of the locals pot growing operations, that's why no one is forth coming with the reasons for the "many" complaints.
The many complaints stem from problems faced by users of the park, that when they need POLICE assistance, a call to the Forest service gets NO ASSISTANCE from a ranger, or it takes many hours for one to even show up!
vigalante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 04:54 PM   #14
RetiredSFC 97
CF Senior Member
St. Jude Donor '09-'10

My uncle once limited the state highway patrol's powers in his county to state highways only.
RetiredSFC 97 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 07:40 PM   #15
Turbodude
CF Senior Member
St. Jude Donor '08

Quote:
This man, for whatever reason, truly enjoys bringing misery and displeasure to people. This man has and is using his given power to push off his self hatred onto others. Some have said here that the sheriff's decisions will teach ken Marcus a lesson and stick it to him. Please don't misunderstand who you are dealing with. This man will enjoy, revel and take pride in what his actions have led to. It is a control issue for him. It is an attention issue for him. The self centered, self involved issues run so deep here they can never be changed. Understand this, even if his actions led to his firing (Which is next to impossible) he would still believe to his very core that he was in the right and enjoy the carnage his actions have caused. This is his very purpose and he knows no other way to be. This truly is a psychological problem and people like this have no reason being in positions of power, responsibility and public relations.
Sounds just like my brother, the corrupt attorney.

I'm moving to El Dorado county in 3 weeks. This news warms my cockles.

Go Sheriff D'Agostini!!
Turbodude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 09:19 PM   #16
Varmit
CF Senior Member
St. Jude Donor '08
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Sandy Eggo, Calif. Don't blame me, I voted for the American

In Cali, the County Sheriff has the authority to cross deputize Federal Law Enforcement Officers with the State Authority that is applicable to the Job the Fed carry out. This can be revoked at any time. The Fed's will still have the Authority to enforce Federal Laws, but not any state laws. If appears as though this sheriff has had enough of whatever type of problems he is having. He is well within his rights to do so, and there is not a damn thing the Feds can do under these circumstances. Really nothing to see here, happens all the time.
Varmit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 09:56 PM   #17
Ben Lurkin
CF Senior Member
St. Jude Donor '09

Good for the Sheriff. The problem with feds having guns in the field is they are accountable to nobody. Here's what happens when you peacefully protest the BLM stealing cattle in Nevada:

Click the image to open in full size.
Quote:
BLM employee C.J. Ross commits a felonious assault on Nevada property rights activist Ken Greenwell, in Palomino Valley, Nevada, November 13, 2001. Greenwell had staged a peaceful protest of the BLM's theft of cattle belonging to rancher Ben Colvin. Ross, acting on behalf of the rustlers, took offense. Note the contrast between Ross's snarling, feral visage and the incredulous composure displayed by Greenwell, and ask yourself: Which of these two displays the civilized face of freedom?
Ben Lurkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 09:56 PM

Go Back   Corvette Forum > Off Topic > Politics, Religion & Controversy
Reload this Page El Dorado County Sheriff Strips Forest Service Of State-Law Enforcement Power ( CA )