Go Back   Corvette Forum > Off Topic > Politics, Religion & Controversy
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ Vendor Directory
Search
Politics, Religion & Controversy Politics | Religion | Controversy (Non-Corvette)

Welcome to Corvetteforum.com!
Welcome to Corvetteforum.com.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join Corvetteforum.com today!

Corvette Store

C7 Parts & Accessories
C6 Parts & Accessories
C5 Parts & Accessories
C4 Parts & Accessories
C3 Parts & Accessories
C2 Parts & Accessories
C1 Parts & Accessories
Wheels & Tires
Sponsored Ads

Vendor Directory

Old 09-11-2012, 03:25 PM   #1
cadguymark
CF Senior Member

Default Teacher Union takes it on the chin, ...again

1st Wisconsin, then Chicago, and now Ontario

could people actually be understanding the damage teacher unions are doing to our educational system? (not to mention, the financials)

Three powerful unions representing Ontario teachers and education workers declared war Tuesday against the governing Liberals after a controversial anti-strike bill passed in the legislature.
The two biggest unions representing elementary and secondary school teachers are urging their members to withdraw from any voluntary activities as a show of protest of what they’re calling “draconian” legislation.

The Ontario Secondary School Teachers’ Federation is telling its members not to do any voluntary activities — such as coaching sports teams — on Wednesday.
The Elementary Teachers’ Federation of Ontario is urging its members not to participate in “any school-based or system level meetings of any kind” on Mondays.

They’re calling them “McGuinty Mondays” after Premier Dalton McGuinty, Ontario’s self-styled “education premier” who is now facing the ire of his former allies who’ve helped him remain in power for nine years.
CUPE Ontario, which represents 55,000 workers such as custodians and school secretaries, also opposed the legislation.
The unions were also furious after they were asked to leave the legislature shortly after the passage of the bill.
The minority Liberals and the Progressive Conservatives teamed up to pass the legislation, which will shortly become law once it receives royal assent.

The bill imposes new contracts on thousands of teachers that reins in wages and cuts benefits, such as sick days, for two years.
It also gives the government the power, for at least two years, to stop strikes and lockouts.

Unions are fuming that the bill was passed, joining a national civil liberties group that’s condemned the legislation as undemocratic.
They say it violates constitutional rights and the unions have vowed to fight the bill all the way to the Supreme Court of Canada.
The governing Liberals brought back the legislature early to get the bill passed before Sept. 1, saying the province couldn’t afford the rollover of old contracts.

But since the proposed legislation is retroactive to that date, it would claw back any pay hikes or benefits once it becomes law.
The Liberals say the bill, which passed by a vote of 82 to 15, is needed to help them eliminate Ontario’s $15-billion deficit.
They’ve made it clear that they’ll do the same with other public sector workers if they can’t negotiate a wage freeze through collective bargaining.

The legislation is based an agreement the province reached with English Catholic and francophone teachers, which included three unpaid days off in the second year and cutting sick days in half to 10 a year.
cadguymark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 03:38 PM   #2
themonk
CF Senior Member
St. Jude Donor '09 & '12-'13-'14

Location: Calgary, AB. There's a reason why white was the only color offered on every year Corvette. Beer, JK, money and cars

Sorry Colleen but screw the teachers, they got it oh so tough with all their f'kn days off, I don't remember having half as many holidays when I was a kid as they do now. Teachers are as bad as nurses, they whine about everything, then the politicians promise to help them out to get votes, s/he gets voted in and 2 years later the teachers and nurses are back at it again whining and crying. Grow up, get a set of nuts and suck it up like the rest of us.
themonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 04:01 PM   #3
OldRoger
CF Senior Member

America is doing everything it can to make teaching the chittiest job on earth. I am not a union person, but I am even less a school adminstration person. What is ruining our schools is the attitude of society towards education. They demanded discipline be taken out of schools and the administration followed the order. Parents take no accoutablility for thier kids learning and now the government thinks they're going to solve everything by grading the performance of teachers on how well the students do on standardized test. Rediculous. You can teach a kid all you want, but you can't make them learn. Ruining education for everyone is the only future with this path.
OldRoger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 04:12 PM   #4
Unknown
CF Senior Member
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14
Support Corvetteforum!

Default History is a movie, they should watch the rerun instead of re live it

Central authority will destroy unions.

Unionized educator members are so blinded by anger greed and hatred by their own will to empower themselves as a small collective that they will fall at the hand they so desire, a larger more powerful collective

Their ignorance is exacerbating their own demise

Epic irony and ignorance.... and by educators no less.

If it wasn't so pathetic it would be funny.

Cliff:

Teachers union=

If they watch the movie called history they would see there is no one to root for , no where to hide and no one to blame but themselves as they push themselves and the nation into the abyss.

Oh the humanity

Last edited by Unknown; 09-11-2012 at 04:14 PM.
Unknown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 04:17 PM   #5
Resolute
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldRoger View Post
Rediculous.

Just pickin'

Last edited by Resolute; 09-11-2012 at 04:21 PM.
Resolute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 06:10 PM   #6
cadguymark
CF Senior Member

what is amazing is that this has happened in Wisconsin & Ontario, two of the most liberal states/provinces

it would have happened in my state if the Dem Guv hadn't vetoed it, but then he only won by a couple hundred votes and has to kiss the teachers union butt

will be interesting to see what happens in Chitcago
cadguymark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 06:13 PM   #7
Swany00
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute View Post

Just pickin'
fkn teacher clearly screwed that one up
Swany00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 06:14 PM   #8
G-lo
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldRoger View Post
America is doing everything it can to make teaching the chittiest job on earth. I am not a union person, but I am even less a school adminstration person. What is ruining our schools is the attitude of society towards education. They demanded discipline be taken out of schools and the administration followed the order. Parents take no accoutablility for thier kids learning and now the government thinks they're going to solve everything by grading the performance of teachers on how well the students do on standardized test. Rediculous. You can teach a kid all you want, but you can't make them learn. Ruining education for everyone is the only future with this path.
G-lo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 06:19 PM   #9
nate99
CF Senior Member

The problem is people, they are the worst.
nate99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 07:41 PM   #10
Markm10431
CF Senior Member
St. Jude Donor '08-'09,'13, '14

"it's all about the kids" really it is, that's why my 71,000 a year salary before benes isn't enough.. oh and please i can't be held accountable for the poor performance of the kids. but really it's all about the kids..
Markm10431 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 07:44 PM   #11
LTC Z06
Get Some!
Support Corvetteforum!

Did Chicago take it on the chin yet?
LTC Z06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 07:50 PM   #12
Swany00
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTC Z06 View Post
Did Chas take it on the chin yet?
dunno, ask UD
Swany00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 07:56 PM   #13
Road_runner
CF Senior Member
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13

Quote:
Originally Posted by themonk View Post
Sorry Colleen but screw the teachers, they got it oh so tough with all their f'kn days off, I don't remember having half as many holidays when I was a kid as they do now. Teachers are as bad as nurses, they whine about everything, then the politicians promise to help them out to get votes, s/he gets voted in and 2 years later the teachers and nurses are back at it again whining and crying. Grow up, get a set of nuts and suck it up like the rest of us.
Road_runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 07:56 PM   #14
1Patriot
CF Senior Member

Wonder how many of the local posters have tried to teach anyone anything.

Never been a teacher in the public school system but I have had a number of years teaching in the Infantry School, the Signal School and the Computer Science School. Granted, these schools have military discepline on the teacher/instructos side but military discepline does not erase incompetence by the student or an unwillingness to perform.

Teaching is an art and a science; many in the occupation fail to master either.
1Patriot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 08:04 PM   #15
PeterK
CF Senior Member
St. Jude Donor '12
2012 Election Contest Winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markm10431 View Post
"it's all about the kids" really it is, that's why my 71,000 a year salary before benes isn't enough.. oh and please i can't be held accountable for the poor performance of the kids. but really it's all about the kids..
I think teachers should be making more
PeterK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 08:07 PM   #16
PeterK
CF Senior Member
St. Jude Donor '12
2012 Election Contest Winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Patriot View Post
Wonder how many of the local posters have tried to teach anyone anything.

Never been a teacher in the public school system but I have had a number of years teaching in the Infantry School, the Signal School and the Computer Science School. Granted, these schools have military discepline on the teacher/instructos side but military discepline does not erase incompetence by the student or an unwillingness to perform.

Teaching is an art and a science; many in the occupation fail to master either.
and trouble is many people see teachers like some who are there for them to render services with a smile and a full satisfaction guarantee and if their kids doesn't pass SAT - clearly that is a fault of a teacher with parents entitled to a refund .
PeterK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 08:10 PM   #17
LTC Z06
Get Some!
Support Corvetteforum!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterK View Post
and trouble is many people see teachers like some who are there for them to render services with a smile and a full satisfaction guarantee and if their kids doesn't pass SAT - clearly that is a fault of a teacher with parents entitled to a refund .
It's always about the parents, but public unions strike against the taxpayer and then use taxpayer money to lobby. It's wrong on so many levels.
Old 09-11-2012, 08:12 PM   #18
slewfoot1956
CF Senior Member
St. Jude Donor '14

Quote:
Originally Posted by themonk View Post
Finally someone other than myself who doesn't know more about wtf he is talking about than me!

My wife has 30 years in this sht. This will be her last year. She use to love it but will make sure the door hits her hard on the *** when she is done. The classroom size and the workload around here is insane. Pressure from administrators to get it done.

She is up until 11pm every night dealing with it because the load cannot be done on school time. Just too much and teachers are bailing. She has no life and the thrill is gone.

Our local union is useless as much as the parents blaming the teachers because their child is a fkn idiot when they should be blaming each other for having unprotected sex

Last edited by slewfoot1956; 09-11-2012 at 08:53 PM.
slewfoot1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 08:15 PM   #19
LTC Z06
Get Some!
Support Corvetteforum!

I'm loving it and love the red sign.

http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2012/09/...enter-2nd-day/
Old 09-11-2012, 08:19 PM   #20
themonk
CF Senior Member
St. Jude Donor '09 & '12-'13-'14

Location: Calgary, AB. There's a reason why white was the only color offered on every year Corvette. Beer, JK, money and cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by slewfoot1956 View Post
Finally someone other than myself who doesn't know more about wtf he is talking about!

My wife has 30 years in this sht. She use to love it but will make sure the door hits her hard on the *** when she is done. The classroom size and the workload around here is insane. pressure from administrators to get it done.

She is up until 11pm every night dealing with it because the load cannot be done on school time. Just too much and teachers are bailing. She has no life and the thrill is gone.

Our local union is useless
yeah, cry me a river.

Let me know when she works half the amount of hours I do.
themonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 08:19 PM

Go Back   Corvette Forum > Off Topic > Politics, Religion & Controversy
Reload this Page Teacher Union takes it on the chin, ...again