Go Back   Corvette Forum > Off Topic > Politics, Religion & Controversy
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Register Albums Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ
Search
Politics, Religion & Controversy Politics | Religion | Controversy (Non-Corvette)

Welcome to Corvetteforum.com!
Welcome to Corvetteforum.com.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join Corvetteforum.com today!

Corvette Store

C6 Parts & Accessories
C5 Parts & Accessories
Wheels & Tires
Sponsored Ads

Vendor Directory

Old 08-25-2012, 02:57 PM   #1
TraceZ
CF Senior Member

Default Paul Ryan thinks rapists should get visitation rights!!

Click the image to open in full size.

A facebook friend posted this up...

I googled around a bit and can't find anything with substance linking Paul Ryan to this policy.

here is how the commenting went:

TraceZ: Any reasonable person would agree no rapist should get visitation rights. History has shown us many examples of women making false accusations of rape, however. Consider the added incentive it gives women to claim rape if doing so eliminates all chances of custody disputes? It's a slippery slope indeed. I'm particularity disturbed by how this piece highlights a photo of Paul Ryan. I googled "Paul Ryan rape visitation" and got no meaningful results outside one left-wing site "the dailykoss" This is a desperate shot to smear Ryan for no reason, it's just an attempt to distract us. "look at the shiny thing over there" Whoever put this together is desperate to smear republicans.

My friend - You know I love you but I can't agree with you here. To claim it's about women lying about rape being the societal harm here? Really? I know of very few cases of false accusations of rape. I do acknowledge that they exist and I even testified on the behalf of someone accused at one point in my life. And the custodial part of your comment is just naive. Now- if there is a stretch to directly associate Ryan or anyone else with something they have not participated in that is a different issue. You very well may have a point there. But my limited experience with P. Ryan makes this not an unlikely link. My posting this has far more to do with the 31 states than anything else. If a woman you loved was raped and had to either give custody to the rapist or get his permission to have the child adopted how would that be? I'm quite sure it would be government intrusion to the extreme.

TraceZ - Big picture here - the whole point of the thing is political. The reason it was created was to smear Paul Ryan (who has nothing to do with it) , NOT to educate anyone on national policy. We agree the policy is incorrect, so why not address it directly instead of as a very partisan political distraction? Whoever made this thing up is succeeding, they have gotten people like you to perpetuate it, and as people read it without questioning it they will believe Paul Ryan thinks rapists should have visitation rights. It's dirty pool.
TraceZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 03:10 PM   #2
Matter
CF Senior Member
St. Jude Donor '12-'13

Give the blogosphere time to fisk it. I'll post anything I run across.
Matter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 03:14 PM   #3
TraceZ
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matter View Post
Give the blogosphere time to fisk it. I'll post anything I run across.
Yes, Please do.

I specifically need to know if Ryan has any votes or statements on record pertaining to this subject.

I wasn't able to find anything, so I have no idea what this piece is based on.
TraceZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 03:19 PM   #4
WallyWest
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TraceZ View Post
Yes, Please do.

I specifically need to know if Ryan has any votes or statements on record pertaining to this subject.

I'm guessing it's based on the fine print in the bottom there, the part about 31 states giving rapists visitation. WI being one of them, Ryan represents WI, therefore *insert lunacy here*.

I have a hard time believing that any state will allow a convicted sex offender to go anywhere near one of their victims though. I have a feeling that the entire line of logic presented by that picture is false on every level.
WallyWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 03:23 PM   #5
BradSW
CF Senior Member

Meanwhile, America approaches $16 trillion in debt and the Dems haven't produced a budget in 3 years and Obama can't get a single vote for his.
BradSW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 03:31 PM   #6
Varmit
CF Senior Member
St. Jude Donor '08
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Sandy Eggo, Calif. Don't blame me, I voted for the American

There is a lot more to this than meets the eye
Varmit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 03:36 PM   #7
NBM LS1 M6
CF Senior Member
St. Jude Donor '10-'11-'12-'13-'14

Location: I helped our POTUS return the wealth of America to it's rightful owners one parcel of real estate at a time.

What does this logic trap line of questioning have to do with being VPOTUS, or POTUS for that matter?
NBM LS1 M6 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 03:57 PM   #8
BruteSpeed
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradSW View Post
Meanwhile, America approaches $16 trillion in debt and the Dems haven't produced a budget in 3 years and Obama can't get a single vote for his.
BruteSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 03:57 PM   #9
wave_3
CF Senior Member
Cruise-In III Veteran

Is he paying child support?
wave_3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 03:58 PM   #10
wave_3
CF Senior Member
Cruise-In III Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradSW View Post
Red Herring alert! Standard M.O. for the liberals...
wave_3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 05:17 PM   #11
PJC6
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WallyWest View Post
I'm guessing it's based on the fine print in the bottom there, the part about 31 states giving rapists visitation. WI being one of them, Ryan represents WI, therefore *insert lunacy here*.

I have a hard time believing that any state will allow a convicted sex offender to go anywhere near one of their victims though. I have a feeling that the entire line of logic presented by that picture is false on every level.
PJC6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 05:30 PM   #12
Mr. No
CF Senior Member

I'm not comfortable with a unilateral prohibition of "rapists" not being able to see their children.

As we all know, there is forcible rape, which is a horrible thing but almost never results in pregnancy. Most pregnancies from rape occur from women falsely accusing men of rape -- either as revenge, out of regret, or some other shameless reason.

In many cases, these are respectable men who are extremely hurt by the fact that they have children (and are often paying child support -- how often that's left out!) that they can never see, never build a relationship with, and can never tell "the other side of the story".

Plus, at the end of the day, they are still the father and a child needs both his mother and his father to be healthy and whole in his mental growth. I can see a few exceptions where parental rights should not be granted, but I think the courts can handle that on a case by case basis. Seems they've been doing a pretty good job so far in those 31 states.
Mr. No is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 05:34 PM   #13
AC54ME
CF Senior Member
CI 6-7-8-9 Veteran
CI-VI Car Show Winner
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13
Support Corvetteforum!

Let us take this one step at a time.

It is "States' that are responsible, if in fact this is a Law in any (as a note, I cannot find it in Blackwell).

Thus it is NOT Ryan.

Next, many states do allow visitation (conjugal included) for convicted murders (I know, my nephew was killed, the killer married while in prison, and fathered two children while incarcerated).

The Law is a fickle thing. If you, or your friend are upset, and the Law is as stated - work to get it overturned.
AC54ME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 05:36 PM   #14
694speed350
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TraceZ View Post
Yes, Please do.

Typical democrat/liberal/marxist/communist bs. they have to personal attack thier opponents they sure can't run on thier record because it is so dismal.
694speed350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 05:39 PM   #15
dexter
CF Senior Member

Location: Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats

If he's a rapist, won't he be in prison? If so, he won't have visitation rights, he'll have visiting days. Can't imagine they're forced.
dexter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 05:46 PM   #16
Balasarius
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. No View Post
As we all know, there is forcible rape, which is a horrible thing but almost never results in pregnancy.
The body just shuts that whole thing down, amirite?

I can't decide if you're legit or a Poe.
Balasarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 05:47 PM   #17
krackenvette
CF Senior Member

Just edit the whole add and put Obama and Democrats. Thats all the Dems do anyways. They tell people what they want them to hear, whether it is true or not. Based on many ads, DWS is a chronic liar.
krackenvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 09:01 PM   #18
Jayna Wallace

I totally appreciate your skepticism. Sources are the following
CNN: "Raped, pregnant and ordeal not over"
DailyKos: "31 States Give Rapists Rights to Child"
Library of Congress - 112th Congress (2011-2012), H.R.212.IH]
Jezebel: “Paul Ryan Sponsored a Bill that would Allow Rapists to Stop their Victims from Aborting”

Paul Ryan co-sponsored a national ban on contraception, on all abortion and on in vitro fertilization [See Bill Text, 112th Congress (2011-2012), H.R.212.IH]. When Paul Ryan was on Meet the Press back in February, David Gregory asked him whether the Republican Party was maybe focusing too much on contraception; maybe that might hurt them in November. Paul Ryan’s answer as to whether he was concerned about that was, No.

Ryan's Sanctity of Human Life Act would give states the right to make abortion illegal. If a woman was raped and wanted to have an abortion in another state, her rapist could theoretically sue her to stop the abortion.
Jayna Wallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 09:13 PM   #19
msslp04
CF Senior Member
St. Jude Donor '11,'14
Support Corvetteforum!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayna Wallace View Post
Jezebel: “Paul Ryan Sponsored a Bill that would Allow Rapists to Stop their Victims from Aborting”

Paul Ryan co-sponsored a national ban on contraception, on all abortion and on in vitro fertilization [See Bill Text, 112th Congress (2011-2012), H.R.212.IH]. When Paul Ryan was on Meet the Press back in February, David Gregory asked him whether the Republican Party was maybe focusing too much on contraception; maybe that might hurt them in November. Paul Ryan’s answer as to whether he was concerned about that was, No.

Ryan's Sanctity of Human Life Act would give states the right to make abortion illegal. If a woman was raped and wanted to have an abortion in another state, her rapist could theoretically sue her to stop the abortion.
IOW, the dems are distorting the facts.

Here's the real deal:
The dems are concentrating on abortion as an issue because there economic policies suck!
msslp04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 09:17 PM   #20
ZumZum
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayna Wallace View Post

Wow. First post. The libs are pulling out all the stops for their invasion.
ZumZum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 09:17 PM

Go Back   Corvette Forum > Off Topic > Politics, Religion & Controversy
Reload this Page Paul Ryan thinks rapists should get visitation rights!!