Photography The section to share and discuss photos you took and talk about camera gear.

Bit the bullet.... bought new Camera....

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2020, 07:45 AM
1KULC7
Le Mans Master

Received 313 Likes on 136 Posts

Default Bit the bullet.... bought new Camera....

So for some time I waited for the Nikon D-6 to arrive. Last time I bought a new camera was when the D800's came out. I have been shooting the D4 and D800 for years, with not a single issue. So I finally was able to see and test the D-6. Camera is obviously nice, but for my type of photography, not worth the price to pay of over $6K for the body. So after reading and researching I decided to purchase the D-850 with a MB Battery Pack. SO EXCITED as this is probably the best camera on the market for the price. Should get it next few days and will post some photos when I shot with the new camera. The D6 was way overpriced and overkill for my type of Landscape, aircraft, and portrait photography that I do. Got a great price, and they even threw in a nice camera bag, and a Nikon EL15b lithium battery......not a bad deal.

Does anybody here own and shoot the D-850, appreciate your feedback on your experiences.

Popular Reply

09-01-2020, 03:29 PM
Wicked Weasel
Team Owner

Received 297 Likes on 94 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'08

CONGRATS and great choice! I have the D850 for around a year now. If Im only carrying 1 camera body that is the one I pick although generally for sports/moving objects Im more than happy with the D500. I recently upgraded the battery to take advantage of the increased FPS so my mind might change. I will know over the next month as fall bird migration is starting and I will be out taking pictures.

I feel the D850 does need good glass to take advantage of all the detail it can give you so that is something to think about. I would also say its probably not the best for video, but I dont generally shoot video with it so that wasnt a concern for me.

With all my Nikon cameras I do create a customize my menu, configure a button to access the menu easily and change to back button focus. Beyond that I dont think I did many other changes to the D850. Any questions please dont hesitate to ask here of in PM.

Here are some pics taken with the D850 and Nikon 600mm f4.

Old 08-27-2020, 12:14 PM
Nitro-C5

Received 3,079 Likes on 908 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran
St. Jude Donor '08-'12, '14-'15

I don't shoot Nikon so not much help with a review...that said I know a few Photogs that shoot with the D850 and all of them seem to love it. Congrats on the purchase
Old 08-31-2020, 12:41 PM
1KULC7
Le Mans Master

Camera arrived, one word, UNBELIEVABLE The D-850 is so far advanced than the older D-800. Only shot a few frames, but what I did shoot was so much crisper, cleaner and much more detailed. What a great camera. Will post some photos later....CHEERS.
The following users liked this post:
carlton_fritz (09-11-2020)
Old 08-31-2020, 02:19 PM
Nitro-C5

Received 3,079 Likes on 908 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran
St. Jude Donor '08-'12, '14-'15

Originally Posted by 1KULC7
Camera arrived, one word, UNBELIEVABLE The D-850 is so far advanced than the older D-800. Only shot a few frames, but what I did shoot was so much crisper, cleaner and much more detailed. What a great camera. Will post some photos later....CHEERS.

Congrats on your purchase! I have been waiting on my new Canon R5 for almost 2 months now! LOL

Old 08-31-2020, 04:12 PM
1KULC7
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Nitro-C5
Congrats on your purchase! I have been waiting on my new Canon R5 for almost 2 months now! LOL
My very first 35mm camera was a Yashica Electro 35, purchase in Viet Nam (Da Nang) on my way home, 1970. Range finder 35mm but very advanced electronics. 3 years later, as I left the service purchased the Minolta SR-100 with a Vivitar 75-25MM lens, that needed an adapter and a 110 Twin Reflex Yashica, that I still have.. First Nikon 1974, F2, with Photomic Head, my first real professional level camera.. Then up the line. My very first camera was a 127 Kodak Hawkeye, 1957, Used that straight through high school Occasionally my Aunt let me use her Polariod J-47 Land Camera. Always took photos.... I have and I am sure you have seen so much progress with Cameras, Lenses and accessories through the years. I used the Minolta SR100 when I went through NE School of Photography (part of Northeastern University), in 1973, Two year curriculum in both photography, business, and journalism..

Sitting yesterday after I opened the box, starting to read the manual, and handle the camera, made me think of the long journey taken in this wonderful world of photography that we enjoy so much, I could never go to video, as I am a true still photographer. Just love creating, and capturing the split second, and showing people the world through my perspective.... Just love it...

.So yours will be coming in soon, and you will be as excited as I was opening the box. At my age, this well could be my last major camera purchase. But who knows, I do know this, I will NOT go over to mirrorless Cameras, not that I don't like them or think they are advanced, but I have too much wrapped up in DSLR Nikkor FX lenses to make anytype of switch only to have to repurchase lenses once again. Already did that when Nikon went from the A1 mounts to the new SW FX series. Sold or traded in the A1 lenses for a fraction of what I paid to get the new FX series going pure digital. NOT AGAIN.... CHEERS.

Last edited by 1KULC7; 08-31-2020 at 04:21 PM.
Old 09-01-2020, 03:29 PM
Wicked Weasel
Team Owner

Received 297 Likes on 94 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'08

CONGRATS and great choice! I have the D850 for around a year now. If Im only carrying 1 camera body that is the one I pick although generally for sports/moving objects Im more than happy with the D500. I recently upgraded the battery to take advantage of the increased FPS so my mind might change. I will know over the next month as fall bird migration is starting and I will be out taking pictures.

I feel the D850 does need good glass to take advantage of all the detail it can give you so that is something to think about. I would also say its probably not the best for video, but I dont generally shoot video with it so that wasnt a concern for me.

With all my Nikon cameras I do create a customize my menu, configure a button to access the menu easily and change to back button focus. Beyond that I dont think I did many other changes to the D850. Any questions please dont hesitate to ask here of in PM.

Here are some pics taken with the D850 and Nikon 600mm f4.

Last edited by Wicked Weasel; 09-01-2020 at 03:36 PM.
The following 6 users liked this post by Wicked Weasel:
carlton_fritz (09-11-2020), jake2000 (09-25-2020), Lakelander (10-03-2020), Nitro-C5 (09-01-2020), realvc (10-09-2020), Win Heger (09-02-2020) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 09-02-2020, 07:58 AM
1KULC7
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Wicked Weasel

Thank you for your offer. I normally shoot everything in manual mode, as for me this is much easier. All I buy is Nikon Glass. I have about 15 Nikkor FX Lenses. I stay away from the DX lens. My tallest lens is a 500mm. Still hoping Nikon releases the long rumored 600mm compact F2 lens, for under $2K. I take a lot of aircraft photography, so tall glass is so important to me, just like you with shooting wildlife. I did purchase the M-18 Battery drive unit, this over doubles up the power and for my I have very large hands so I get a much better grip on the camera Overall so far only shot a few frames but very happy with the performance and results. Will post soon some photos here. Yours look very good. I will be in touch if needed thank you for your offer. Cheers.
Wicked Weasel (09-11-2020)
Old 09-11-2020, 12:49 PM
carlton_fritz
Team Owner

Received 94 Likes on 31 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09

My very first 35mm camera was a Yashica Electro 35, purchase in Viet Nam (Da Nang) on my way home, 1970. Range finder 35mm but very advanced electronics. 3 years later, as I left the service purchased the Minolta SR-100 with a Vivitar 75-25MM lens, that needed an adapter and a 110 Twin Reflex Yashica, that I still have.. First Nikon 1974, F2, with Photomic Head, my first real professional level camera.. Then up the line. My very first camera was a 127 Kodak Hawkeye, 1957, Used that straight through high school Occasionally my Aunt let me use her Polariod J-47 Land Camera. Always took photos.... I have and I am sure you have seen so much progress with Cameras, Lenses and accessories through the years. I used the Minolta SR100 when I went through NE School of Photography (part of Northeastern University), in 1973, Two year curriculum in both photography, business, and journalism..

Sitting yesterday after I opened the box, starting to read the manual, and handle the camera, made me think of the long journey taken in this wonderful world of photography that we enjoy so much, I could never go to video, as I am a true still photographer. Just love creating, and capturing the split second, and showing people the world through my perspective.... Just love it...

.So yours will be coming in soon, and you will be as excited as I was opening the box. At my age, this well could be my last major camera purchase. But who knows, I do know this, I will NOT go over to mirrorless Cameras, not that I don't like them or think they are advanced, but I have too much wrapped up in DSLR Nikkor FX lenses to make anytype of switch only to have to repurchase lenses once again. Already did that when Nikon went from the A1 mounts to the new SW FX series. Sold or traded in the A1 lenses for a fraction of what I paid to get the new FX series going pure digital. NOT AGAIN.... CHEERS.
You can use your F mount lenses with Mirrorless. That said, the Z mount lenses are so much better that I am happy to have gone mirrorless. I do still want a D500 though. Hated having had to sell mine.
Old 09-11-2020, 12:51 PM
carlton_fritz
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '08-'09

Thank you for your offer. I normally shoot everything in manual mode, as for me this is much easier. All I buy is Nikon Glass. I have about 15 Nikkor FX Lenses. I stay away from the DX lens. My tallest lens is a 500mm. Still hoping Nikon releases the long rumored 600mm compact F2 lens, for under $2K. I take a lot of aircraft photography, so tall glass is so important to me, just like you with shooting wildlife. I did purchase the M-18 Battery drive unit, this over doubles up the power and for my I have very large hands so I get a much better grip on the camera Overall so far only shot a few frames but very happy with the performance and results. Will post soon some photos here. Yours look very good. I will be in touch if needed thank you for your offer. Cheers.
Have you looked at the 500mm PF lens? Much smaller and lighter.
Old 09-11-2020, 04:53 PM
1KULC7
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by carlton_fritz
Have you looked at the 500mm PF lens? Much smaller and lighter.
Yes, this is on my list too....
carlton_fritz (09-11-2020)
Old 09-11-2020, 04:55 PM
1KULC7
Le Mans Master

You can use your F mount lenses with Mirrorless. That said, the Z mount lenses are so much better that I am happy to have gone mirrorless. I do still want a D500 though. Hated having had to sell mine.
I will stay with the 850 it is the best camera I have ever owned, just love the results.....Soon I will post a few photos, but for now, I am just enjoying the features and the feel.

Don't get me wrong the mirrorless cameras are nice, but Sony still leads the field, Nikon is considered from what I am read to be third in this field. NIKON is totally dependent upon Sony for the processors used, and Nikon does not intend to develop their own. So you have to wonder how much Nkion is invested into the mirrorless, most likely they are, as Nikon is very conservative with taking big steps like this. Lens distribution for Mirrorless are tight, and development is slow.

Since Sony has the control, you can bet Nikon will be behind Sony on new developments. Also, Mirrorless is used more for video than still, at least that is what they say, I will stay with what I like, the 850 DSLR....

Last edited by 1KULC7; 09-11-2020 at 05:01 PM.
Old 09-11-2020, 09:42 PM
carlton_fritz
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '08-'09

I will stay with the 850 it is the best camera I have ever owned, just love the results.....Soon I will post a few photos, but for now, I am just enjoying the features and the feel.

Don't get me wrong the mirrorless cameras are nice, but Sony still leads the field, Nikon is considered from what I am read to be third in this field. NIKON is totally dependent upon Sony for the processors used, and Nikon does not intend to develop their own. So you have to wonder how much Nkion is invested into the mirrorless, most likely they are, as Nikon is very conservative with taking big steps like this. Lens distribution for Mirrorless are tight, and development is slow.

Since Sony has the control, you can bet Nikon will be behind Sony on new developments. Also, Mirrorless is used more for video than still, at least that is what they say, I will stay with what I like, the 850 DSLR....
The D850 may be the best DSLR ever. As for mirrorless and Nikon, go check out Matt Irwin on YT for logical observations about the top 3 brands. He has owned or still owns many different brands and gives logical unbiased thoughts of each. His channel is a breath of fresh air when it comes to looking at the industry and the cameras. Some channels, like the Northrups and FroKnows not nearly as much as he thinks are heavily biased and negative.
Old 09-15-2020, 05:06 AM
1KULC7
Le Mans Master

The D850 may be the best DSLR ever. As for mirrorless and Nikon, go check out Matt Irwin on YT for logical observations about the top 3 brands. He has owned or still owns many different brands and gives logical unbiased thoughts of each. His channel is a breath of fresh air when it comes to looking at the industry and the cameras. Some channels, like the Northrups and FroKnows not nearly as much as he thinks are heavily biased and negative.

Thank you I will check it out....CHEERS.
carlton_fritz (09-16-2020)

Get notified of new replies

To Bit the bullet.... bought new Camera....

Quick Reply: Bit the bullet.... bought new Camera....