Performance Results Dyno sheets, Timeslips, Track Records, Who has the Fastest C5 Corvette?

VERY excited ... drag racing "class" in HS!

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2014, 05:50 PM
Tar Heel
Burning Brakes

Received 41 Likes on 25 Posts

Default VERY excited ... drag racing "class" in HS!

I'm starting my 22nd year as a HS math teacher (also coach varsity softball) and my wife is an elementary principal. Some of you know me as I frequent the forum often. We run a 2004 bolt-on C5. Mid 11s NA, soon to be mid 10s on nitrous and hopefully 9s after H/C/I.

This summer our school received a 2.1 million dollar 4-year federal grant to work with students after school hours in areas that would incorporate math and technology into vocational careers. I've been approved to start a motorsports club. In summary the students will receive tutoring before and after school in all subject areas to help them keep their grades up and stay on course for graduation. Provided that they do this, and their attendance stays good and discipline isn't an issue, they will be able to participate in our program. We plan to work with HP Tuners and The Tuning School to teach them how to use the program as well take them racing (I know Ron ... I have to jump in there now and learn with them as we go!) Plans also include field trips to UTI Dallas, SAM, etc. to show them there are avenues following graduation if a career in the racing industry interests them. It's in it's infancy stage now and the sky is the limit on what we can do but if you were in HS and had this opportunity would it appeal to you and if so, what kinds of activities should we do? I'm so excited to share my passion and knowledge about racing and the automotive field with these students as well as show them how math and technology is used outside of the school in the real world.

Scott
Old 08-21-2014, 07:36 PM
C5 Pete
AMP Racing
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 466 Likes on 352 Posts
2023 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2017 C5 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12

Congrats, Scott! That's a great deal you've got going on now.

You mentioned UTI and SAM, maybe take them to a chassis shop too. How weight is a factor and how to properly balance a race car. Try contacting NHRA and nascar as well, to see if they have any opportunities to attend an event and talk with crew members.

Best of success with it!
Old 08-21-2014, 10:04 PM
Tar Heel
Burning Brakes

Received 41 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Capthuff
Congrats, Scott! That's a great deal you've got going on now.

You mentioned UTI and SAM, maybe take them to a chassis shop too. How weight is a factor and how to properly balance a race car. Try contacting NHRA and nascar as well, to see if they have any opportunities to attend an event and talk with crew members.

Best of success with it!
Thanks and great ideas. We aren't far from an NHRA and NASCAR facility so those are very easy field trips to schedule. Also, after doing some research today, I found out that one of the instructors at The Tuning School (where we are going to purchase our HP Tuners curriculum from) owns a shop less than an hour from us. We can take the kids to see what they are working on and watch a car be tuned and put on the dyno.

Scott
Old 08-21-2014, 10:50 PM
C5 Pete
AMP Racing
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 466 Likes on 352 Posts
2023 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2017 C5 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12

It's a great time to be a young adult. The "big 3" are building awesome hot rods, and the after market industry is strong. There should be a lot of opportunity for your students.
Old 08-24-2014, 04:23 PM
ajrothm
Le Mans Master

Received 1,095 Likes on 746 Posts

That is awesome man!! More schools need to get involved with this.

We did atleast have Auto-tech in High schools for juniors/seniors.. We were all a bunch of gear heads before we were juniors, but the auto tech class was a lot of fun... Especially the shop builds(on our cars) and the grudge racing that ensued.. This was in the early 90s for me..

I still cruise by the old school/shop and race roads from time to time to reminisce..

Kids today need more of this and less of Facebook, war games and drugs.

Get notified of new replies

To VERY excited ... drag racing "class" in HS!

Quick Reply: VERY excited ... drag racing "class" in HS!