Performance Results Dyno sheets, Timeslips, Track Records, Who has the Fastest C5 Corvette?

drag racing with traction control ON?

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2014, 03:25 PM
Tar Heel
Burning Brakes

Received 41 Likes on 25 Posts

Default drag racing with traction control ON?

What effect will leaving the traction control on have? Better traction on a suspect surface I would hope but what about once the car got moving? Does it pull timing and/or fuel on the whole pass and kill power?

I ask because of a unique situation. Yes, when we race it's always in competition mode. However, we ventured to the NASCAR facility in Fort Worth this weekend to watch their Friday night drags. We only watched but it was a pretty cool deal and something we'd like to try. On the bottle we make enough power and would be quick enough to be competitive in their quickest class which is Outlaws. However, there is no track prep so we couldn't leave like we normally do. I'll set the progressive controller to come on later down the track but even leaving NA would blow the tires off since there is no rubber down.

Thoughts?

Thanks!

Scott
Old 07-31-2014, 03:52 AM
Txboatman
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

It will kill the cars 60'. A little wheel spin isn't always a bad thing. Leave yours on and watch your ET go all over the place
Old 07-31-2014, 05:01 PM
jcblade
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I used to drag race my 2002 A4 with traction control on. At the time I had a supercharger with drag radials with 530 rwhp. Everything seemed fine although everybody told me to take TC off. I added headers and methanol (now at 580 rwhp), went to the track, and the car felt like it was holding back at the top end. I didn't notice much difference coming off the line. I have lousy 60 ft times anyway. ECS told me I probably had too much power and now the traction control is holding the car back. They recommended using competitive driving mode. I tried that the last few times at the track and they were right. I don't feel the car holding back at all. I still have lousy 60 ft times but that's something I need to work on.
Old 08-01-2014, 07:55 PM
RonSSNova
Safety Car

Received 322 Likes on 263 Posts

Try it on the street. Your neighbors will love you!

The more power you make, the less able the TC is able to harness it.

TC btw uses a combination of engine management and brakes to do its thing. The engine management portion can be tweaked.

So you are now an HPT and nitrous pro? Haven't heard from you in a while.....
Old 08-01-2014, 08:50 PM
C5 Pete
AMP Racing
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 466 Likes on 352 Posts
2023 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2017 C5 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12

I'm sure you have thought of this, but, the TC/AH will play havoc with consistency when your bracket racing.
Old 08-01-2014, 10:17 PM
robz
Le Mans Master

Received 154 Likes on 111 Posts

It won't act like a true launch control.
Old 08-02-2014, 09:18 AM
Tar Heel
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by RonSSNova
Try it on the street. Your neighbors will love you!

The more power you make, the less able the TC is able to harness it.

TC btw uses a combination of engine management and brakes to do its thing. The engine management portion can be tweaked.

So you are now an HPT and nitrous pro? Haven't heard from you in a while.....
No, I wouldn't say that. Haven't messed with the HPT but we did wire in a progressive controller to help with the tire spin at the track. Haven't been out all summer due to the Texas heat. Cold front came through this week and it's been pleasant so we're planning to go out today although as of this moment it's raining. We'll see if it clears up this morning ...

How goes the turbo Nova?

Scott
Old 08-02-2014, 09:21 AM
Tar Heel
Burning Brakes

Thanks guys for the input! Sounds like I need to keep it in competitive mode and try to pedal it if it spins. They don't have timers or clocks; you're just running heads-up with the other guy and the first one there wins.

Scott
Old 08-02-2014, 12:18 PM
neutron82
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,261 Likes on 1,056 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
C5 of Year Winner (performance mods) 2019

I left mine on by accident once... when I left off the line it felt like I stalled my car, it completely fell on its face, 2nd gear did the same thing, and I didn't start moving until 3rd... after I noticed I had left it on I was trying to get into competitive mode while trying to shift at the same time... needless to say I completely blew that run, ended up doing a high 13 but what was even worse was that I still beat the 5.0 mustang in the other lane by half a second... I'm not sure how mine is tuned so it may be setup to fall on its face the way it did, the previous tune I had it didn't act that way when it engaged
Old 08-02-2014, 02:33 PM
RonSSNova
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Tar Heel
No, I wouldn't say that. Haven't messed with the HPT but we did wire in a progressive controller to help with the tire spin at the track. Haven't been out all summer due to the Texas heat. Cold front came through this week and it's been pleasant so we're planning to go out today although as of this moment it's raining. We'll see if it clears up this morning ...

How goes the turbo Nova?

Scott
I didn't think you had been racing. Good luck if you get out.

I got my license, but lost a head gasket the next weekend. So I'm fixing it now.

Ron
Old 08-03-2014, 04:17 PM
Tar Heel
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by RonSSNova
I didn't think you had been racing. Good luck if you get out.

I got my license, but lost a head gasket the next weekend. So I'm fixing it now.

Ron
No luck yesterday. Rained all morning so we decided not to go out. They might have gotten it in but I didn't want to tow there in the rain and pit in the mud. Our track is open every two weeks so we'll go out on the 16th weather permitting. My wife will run the street class NA and once she is done I'll make some passes on the nitrous TNT. I'll log some runs and email them to you if you don't mind to let you see what you see.

Scott
Old 08-03-2014, 04:58 PM
RonSSNova
Safety Car

Sure. Any time Scott.

Get notified of new replies

To drag racing with traction control ON?

Quick Reply: drag racing with traction control ON?