Performance Results Dyno sheets, Timeslips, Track Records, Who has the Fastest C5 Corvette?

anyone run with the belt off?

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2013, 09:31 AM
Tar Heel
Burning Brakes

Received 41 Likes on 25 Posts

Default anyone run with the belt off?

On our LT1 cars we used to remove the belt before a run and it was worth a tenth. Anyone do this on a C5? We have a battery charger and will have a full charge and remove it in the staging lanes just before we go up. I'm just curious as to how "run down" the battery will get doing a burn-out, staging, and then making a run and how, if at all, that will affect the electronics. Trying to see how fast we can go in good air this fall before we wrap things up for the year.

Scott
Old 10-31-2013, 06:25 PM
RedZMonte
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I dont know about the LT1 engines but you will also not be runing the water pump without the serp belt. engine will get hot fast. I know the Quad4 guys used to dyno without a belt (chain drive Water Pump) and picked up a couple hp. an extra 10th isnt worth it to me to run a car hot like that.

S
Old 10-31-2013, 07:36 PM
JoeyG
Safety Car

Received 84 Likes on 76 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran

Not my car, but no ac belt = no gain. No serpentine belt = ovetheated car
Old 10-31-2013, 08:56 PM
Tar Heel
Burning Brakes

Received 41 Likes on 25 Posts

Yes, good point. I'd have to run a Meziere street EWP to make sure the engine doesn't overheat. I've also removed the AC belt and didn't know if it would make any difference.

Scott
Old 10-31-2013, 09:14 PM
C5 Pete
AMP Racing
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 466 Likes on 352 Posts
2023 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2017 C5 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12

Scott, removing the belt does help ET for those banzai runs when you want a new PB. I really wouldn't suggest doing it regularly in class racing. There's gotta be a few other tricks to play to help your ET Chase.
Old 10-31-2013, 10:59 PM
Devilish34
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Capthuff
Scott, removing the belt does help ET for those banzai runs when you want a new PB. I really wouldn't suggest doing it regularly in class racing. There's gotta be a few other tricks to play to help your ET Chase.
Big poop
Old 11-08-2013, 11:30 AM
PRE-Z06
Race Director

Received 2,045 Likes on 1,301 Posts

I agree running no ac belt showed nothing on the dyno, dropping the serpentine belt showed 12rwhp on the dyno on my setup and I know guys who drop a tenth doing it at similar power. I didn't ever get a chance to run EWP on my car and didn't have cojones to make a pass at the strip that way without it as I was afraid of blowing a head gasket even though water temp didn't rise on the dyno pull it wasn't accurate because coolant wasn't circulating, hope this helps.

Get notified of new replies

To anyone run with the belt off?

Quick Reply: anyone run with the belt off?