Performance Results Dyno sheets, Timeslips, Track Records, Who has the Fastest C5 Corvette?

new trailer

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2013, 08:45 PM
Tar Heel
Burning Brakes

Received 41 Likes on 25 Posts

Default new trailer

Just got back from a 7-hour road trip to Ardmore, Oklahoma where we picked up our new 18' open trailer. We had him change it from a standard 2' dovetail to a 3' and had him build 6' ramps instead of the 5' ones that come with it. When we got home I was surprised how smoothly the car went on it and we're lowered on stock bolts. I have some tweaking this week to do before we tow to Ennis next Saturday for the Super Chevy race and then May 17th is the IHRA Divisional Event in Dallas.

For $1870 out the door NEW including a spare tire we're initially very happy. Our car is very streetable and we drive it some but it will be nice not worrying how we'll get home if we break and being able to carry extra "stuff" in the truck.
Old 04-27-2013, 09:09 PM
C5 Pete
AMP Racing
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 466 Likes on 352 Posts
2023 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2017 C5 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12

Looks like a nice trailer. Can you open the door with the fenders on? Or are they removable?

Kinda looks like the car is too far forward resulting in too much tungue weight.
Old 04-27-2013, 09:35 PM
Tar Heel
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Capthuff
Looks like a nice trailer. Can you open the door with the fenders on? Or are they removable?

Kinda looks like the car is too far forward resulting in too much tungue weight.
No, the door wouldn't open and the fenders aren't removable. I had some 2" x 10" around that we use when we put the car in the air for maintenance. You can see them on the trailer. One got us about a millimeter from the door opening so I'll get a couple 2" x 12" this week and make some "ramps" for the front and attach them to the trailer floor with carriage bolts and put a stop on the top front.

Yes, it was too far forward. We just pulled it up to see if it would go up the ramps. I'm thinking to put the rear tires as far back without getting on the dovetail. I don't think I'm comfortable leaving the rear tires on the dovetail. ???
Old 04-28-2013, 12:26 AM
Supercharged111
Safety Car

Received 472 Likes on 349 Posts

$1870 OTD is slammin, do both axles have brakes or just the front?
Old 04-28-2013, 07:38 AM
Tar Heel
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Supercharged111
$1870 OTD is slammin, do both axles have brakes or just the front?
Just one.
Old 04-28-2013, 07:58 AM
Rob Petyo
Le Mans Master

Received 75 Likes on 59 Posts

Looks Great!

You sort of have to play with the position of the car on the trailer and decide just where it rides the best on there.
There is also a minimum/maximum amount of weight that you want on the ball hitch. If I recall, I think the minimum is 5% of the weight of the trailer and car. With duel axles it can be deceiving

You can use a bathroom scale on a piece of plywood and used a 2X4 between the scale and approximate height of the hitch. I recall when setting mine up that the trailer guy told me I wanted about 400-500 lbs on the tongue, so measure the the height of the hitch on the vehicle and then get two guys to stand on the bumper and measure where you are at. then pull the car forward on the trailer until that height is achieved, then adjust from there as far as how it rides...

note:
When I found a happy spot, I painted a (C/L) in white on the frame and that is where I pull the center of my front wheel.
Old 04-28-2013, 10:14 AM
RonSSNova
Safety Car

Received 322 Likes on 263 Posts

Nice to see a clean open car trailer in todays world of enclosed trailers towed with $150k motorhomes!

I just relate to keeping it simple.

Did you get the heads?

Ron
Old 04-28-2013, 11:10 AM
pit-man
Le Mans Master

Received 242 Likes on 187 Posts

Nice deal
I am supprised you actually clear on that ramp angle. I had to have
12' folding ramps made to clear my stock heigth Z. They are really heavy but do help put more weight at the rear of the trailer.
Old 04-28-2013, 12:56 PM
Tar Heel
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by RonSSNova
Nice to see a clean open car trailer in todays world of enclosed trailers towed with $150k motorhomes!

Did you get the heads?

Ron
I did Ron. They came Friday just before we jumped in the truck to head to Oklahoma for the trailer. I appreciate it. Yes, when we go class racing in our $10K 1/2 ton GMC and $2K trailer we're definitely in the minority. I'm sure you know that some of these people have $500K in all of their equipment. As a HS math teacher I'll never race that way but our stuff is clean, safe, and gets us there where we have a fun time. I count our blessings to be able to do what we do.

How's the turbo project coming?
Old 04-28-2013, 12:56 PM
Tar Heel
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by pit-man
Nice deal
I am supprised you actually clear on that ramp angle. I had to have
12' folding ramps made to clear my stock heigth Z. They are really heavy but do help put more weight at the rear of the trailer.
Yes, we were really surprised as well and thought we would have to do much more to get it up on.
Old 04-28-2013, 01:01 PM
Supercharged111
Safety Car

Received 472 Likes on 349 Posts

Originally Posted by RonSSNova

Did you get the heads?

Ron
Somehow I think I'd be OK with the lack of simplicity when I climbed into my $150k motorhome with the AC cranked, popped in a blue ray, and guzzled beer before passing out on my king sized bed. As it is, I pull my $800 trailer behind my $5000 truck. Sorry for being a one upper OP, couldn't resist.

Get notified of new replies

To new trailer

Quick Reply: new trailer