Paint/Body Corvette Materials, Techniques, and How To

Isolating a protruding exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2024, 11:27 PM
GREGGPENN
Race Director

Received 400 Likes on 327 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C4 of Year Winner (appearance mods) 2019

Default Isolating a protruding exhaust

Anyone know how pipes are isolated from side-exit or rear-exit applications like this...

I'm asking because engines vibrate and even slightly tilt with sudden or WOT bursts. I would THINK pipes like this could beat up their surround?

WHY DO I ASK? I'm thinking of re-plumbing my C4 side exhaust. If I do it, I'd end up with this (pic) kind of scenario except with fiberglass surround. Even if I could, I wouldn't want a metal ring to prevent/reduce damage.

Hell...Lots of factory cars do this. I was just behind a Kia Stinger today that has "vents" for the tail exhaust. I could imagine rubber isolators OR a short flexible section of pipe OR fill in your answer here !!!!

Old 03-09-2024, 11:16 AM
67:72
1967 Pedal Car Champion
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,018 Likes on 1,363 Posts

I think you'd need a larger panel opening than that shown above. Race car exhausts (along with frames and suspension) are much more rigid than street cars so don't move around as much. They also don't care as much if it is hitting the body (which I think is why this has the metal flange around it - to protect the panel from getting chipped, abraded, or burned.) A street car must have a more movement-tolerant exhaust just because the cars are more flexible to accommodate roadways with more variability with curb ramps, pot holes, speed bumps, etc.

I like the metal flange; it definitely adds to the raw, no-nonsense look of the exhaust exit — mental images of flames while shifting comes to mind.
Old 03-11-2024, 01:27 PM
GREGGPENN
Race Director

Received 400 Likes on 327 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C4 of Year Winner (appearance mods) 2019

I am looking for methods of isolation. FACTORY cars sometimes feed exhaust through body panels. Just wanting to know how they do it -- where the exhaust doesn't rattle around or beat up body parts.

Get notified of new replies

To Isolating a protruding exhaust

Quick Reply: Isolating a protruding exhaust