Paint/Body Corvette Materials, Techniques, and How To

67 Stinger Wrong Geometry Fix Options

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2023, 11:46 AM
Googoo427
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default 67 Stinger Wrong Geometry Fix Options

My buddy had his 67 427 repainted back in the late 90s in it's original Marina Blue with a white stinger. The car hasn't been driven much until recently following his retirement. Paint was done in base coat/clear coat. The painter guessed at the geometry of the hood stinger. The geometry is way off relative to what GM did. It bothers him immensely. I was able to obtain guidance from an NCRS member who provided me with the correct geometry. My question is this. What are the best options to address the stinger issue? Is it even possible to sand down through the clear and carefully remove all of the white stinger than reapply the correct white stinger and reclear? Or, does the entire front end need to be repainted? Keep in mind that the nose of the stinger goes into the front of the car. Not all of the stinger is isolated to the hood only. Any thoughts as to how to best address this would be appreciated.
Old 01-15-2024, 11:48 PM
67:72
1967 Pedal Car Champion
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,003 Likes on 1,355 Posts

I think the best bet is to take if to an experienced painter who is expert at matching and blending. Base/clear is a good situation to begin with since he won't be dealing with modern paints and lacquer or enamel compatibility. If zero body work needs to be done, the scoop to point could be sanded to prep for paint, then spray & blend in Marina Blue over the entire hood, fender tops, and headlight panel. After this, it's just a matter of taping and shooting the white stinger and topping it all off with clear.
Old 01-16-2024, 04:36 PM
Googoo427
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default 67 Stinger Wrong Geometry Fix Options

Thanks for the response. I arrived at the same conclusion.
Old 04-04-2024, 07:59 PM
Gary D. Jaynes
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 30 Posts

You should keep in mind that when redoing the stripe it should not have any clear on it.
Old 04-04-2024, 09:54 PM
Joe C
Race Director

Received 703 Likes on 590 Posts

Originally Posted by Googoo427
...my question is this. What are the best options to address the stinger issue? Is it even possible to sand down through the clear and carefully remove all of the white stinger than reapply the correct white stinger and reclear? Or, does the entire front end need to be repainted? Keep in mind that the nose of the stinger goes into the front of the car. Not all of the stinger is isolated to the hood only. Any thoughts as to how to best address this would be appreciated.
no way can you sand the stinger away without damage to the base. IMO, the only option is a repaint.

Get notified of new replies

To 67 Stinger Wrong Geometry Fix Options

Quick Reply: 67 Stinger Wrong Geometry Fix Options