Paint/Body Corvette Materials, Techniques, and How To

C1 Corvette Fiberglass repair

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2019, 12:34 AM
Morgan5763
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default C1 Corvette Fiberglass repair

Hi all, I’ve got a ‘59 J59S103744 that needs some fiberglass repair. I will include photos of the damage to the front end of the car. Would it be recommended to draft a new front end on the car or can the surviving fiberglass be repaired? Additionally the car is bare glass and has been for over 20 years, does the car need to be gel coated?
Thanks for any help and tips!
Dean Morgan

Old 05-27-2019, 09:41 AM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Just about every fiberglass panel that is damaged can be repaired....BUT...the time to repair that specific damage may actually take more time than removing it and installing a new panel(s) or a one piece front clip. So it depends on if a person is worried about keeping all factory panels or not for judging...OR if the panels are so badly fatigued by being outside and the sun getting to them they are weakened and 'soft'.

So it all depends on YOUR TIME and what you value it at....along with your ability to correctly repair and laminate any damaged areas....due to...laminating 'some' damaged areas of repair requires skill and making use the lamination is done correctly instead of just slapping on mat and resin and having the resin so thick it could cover a silver dollar.

I know if this car were in my shop.....I would get out the book and see how much new panels cost and then the time to remove and install them......then grind out the bad areas and see how bad it is and figure in the time to 'save' the body and repair these damaged areas and see what the owner wants to do.

I know I would gelcoat this car once I got all of the areas repaired. Some choose to use a polyester primer instead. Some choose to epoxy primer it and then apply a 2K primer.... But I prefer to use gelcoat.

DUB
The following users liked this post:
64Corvette (02-08-2020)
Old 05-30-2019, 01:10 PM
csherman
Le Mans Master

Received 1,460 Likes on 742 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019
2018 C1 of Year Finalist

I do alot of C1's
Based on two photos - I dont see what you have shown is that bad.
Based on the bottom photo it looks repairable
I see a hole in the upper fender above the wheel
I see damage in the bumper cover
Is this it?
First strip the car to bare glass
I take out all the old repairs front and back of the panel and then craft my repair plan
You can always section in pieces vs entire panel replacement - but again I only see a little of the car
Based on what I see here - I could repair it.
Old 02-08-2020, 09:15 PM
Leor29
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Leo-58 corvette repair

Originally Posted by csherman
I do alot of C1's
Based on two photos - I dont see what you have shown is that bad.
Based on the bottom photo it looks repairable
I see a hole in the upper fender above the wheel
I see damage in the bumper cover
Is this it?
First strip the car to bare glass
I take out all the old repairs front and back of the panel and then craft my repair plan
You can always section in pieces vs entire panel replacement - but again I only see a little of the car
Based on what I see here - I could repair it.
hello csherman, I’m Leo. New to this forum and I have a 58 with front end damage. Would like to send you photos and ask for your opinion on fiberglass work. Want to keep all original fiberglass, but would like your opinion. How can I send you photographs?

leo
Old 02-13-2020, 01:09 PM
csherman
Le Mans Master

Received 1,460 Likes on 742 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019
2018 C1 of Year Finalist

Shoot me an email
twobuckis@msn.com
I have two 59's we are currently working on

Get notified of new replies

To C1 Corvette Fiberglass repair