Paint/Body Corvette Materials, Techniques, and How To

63 SWC primer sealer?

Old 08-22-2014, 08:57 PM
jackson 63
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 63 SWC primer sealer?

Can anyone recommend a sandable primer/sealer to spray on my 63. I have stripped the body to bare fiberglass. I will be using PPG base coat clear coat. I have used DP 40 and K36 on other steel cars, are these ok on fiberglass.
Old 08-22-2014, 11:00 PM
Dave Tracy
Melting Slicks

Received 294 Likes on 183 Posts

You have many options. Two of the pros on this site, DUB and Porchdog, are phenomenal sources. Porchdog just posted some information regarding SPI products. He uses SPI epoxy primer as his sealer/primer. DUB uses gelcoat and a polyester primer. Look over this site or do a search on this site for the information and decide what works for you. Have fun.
Old 08-22-2014, 11:02 PM
Dave Tracy
Melting Slicks

Received 294 Likes on 183 Posts

One other thing, PPG has DPLV epoxy primer that is sandable unlike the DPLF.
Old 08-23-2014, 07:43 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Dave Tracy is right about one thing....and that is I would gelcoat it and polyester prime it...and 'porchdog' does it another way.

I have been doing it this way for so long now and have the spraying equipment that allows me to do it. Many choose not to invest in the paint guns to apply gelcoat/polyester primer.

I have used PPG epoxy primers( old style 1:1 mix and the new DPLF) and the K36 when I was an approved shop and went through the 'hoopla' to be a preferred PPG shop. I had problems with the old style epoxy primer and was told some things in a tech class about it that made me stop using it on my early polyester bodied Corvettes. Then when I switch paint lines....I basically stopped using it all together except for steel parts...which we know...none of then are on the outside visual of any Corvette.

I can not NOR will not comment on any of the SPI products 'porchdog' uses...because I have not used them and do not know any of their properties and or capabilities as well as he does. I can get all of what I need here in my city and do not see the need to change to another product that I have to have shipped in...when my current processes/procedures does not cause for problems. By no means do I feel they are inferior(epoxy primers)...but I do have a hard time thinking than an epoxy primer (regardless of whose it is) can do what gelcoat can do. Because handlaid fiberglass parts are not using an epoxy primer as the fist coating in the mold before it is laminated.

I will write this...if you plan on gelcoating your Corvette...appreciate the end result...but you are going to have to work for it.

DUB

Get notified of new replies

To 63 SWC primer sealer?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 63 SWC primer sealer?