Paint/Body Corvette Materials, Techniques, and How To

Newbie w/ paint issues

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2014, 09:54 AM
blueshead
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie w/ paint issues

Hey guys - I just bought a 1984 two-tone Silver C4. Very pleased with the condition but, the car is 30 years old and the paint has lost some of it's luster. Will the standard soap stone and wax treatment give any noticeable improvement? Is it worth the effort? I don't have the cash to invest in a paint job as of now. Maybe in the future. Thanks for any help.
Old 08-21-2014, 10:07 AM
porchdog
Drifting

Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

go here and do some reading. they have a huge assortment of detailing products and videos .

http://www.chemicalguys.com/Chemical..._p/com_101.htm
Old 08-21-2014, 06:10 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Just be careful on how aggressive you are in buffing and polishing...it is needs that at all.

If you clear coat is milky...and when you buff/polish it ...it comes back shiny and looking great....THEN..in a few days or weeks it starts to go dull and begin to milk out again. The clearcoat is too thin and it will get progressively worse each and every time you buff/polish it to a high shine again....Because you are removing very small amounts of the clear that NEEDS to be there to fight against the UV's of the sun. So just be watchful and careful. In some cases....less is MORE better.

Much like some cars I know you have seen where the top surfaces are all white..or partially white and milky looking...and sometimes so bad that it is actually powdery and can come off on your hand when wiped. The clearcoat is dead..or on its way... and there is no saving it.

DUB

Get notified of new replies

To Newbie w/ paint issues

Quick Reply: Newbie w/ paint issues